Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
Richie Rich Vt

Cant decide

We cant decide between a 2012 Cougar 330rbk or the Copper Canyon 324. The cougar is "nicer" inside but the Copper Canyon has just a little more room, or so it seems.
We were wondering about the difference in quality between the two.

Thanks for any input.
Richie Rich Vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
f6bits

Build quality is pretty much the same across all lines. It’s the building materials that are the real difference. Plastic countertops vs Corian; linoleum vs. laminate flooring, etc.

Weight-wise, they’re about the same when empty, but the Copper Canyon can carry a thousand pounds more than the Cougar.

It may just come down to which one is prettier, but I like the Copper Canyon’s bedroom setup more (better closet space).

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
FLsprinter

We have the 324 fwbhs . We love it ! We had a 29 ft. C class with no slides don't miss it none. I love getting up in the morning going outside to the Kitchen and cooking before anyone gets up. The Kids have there own room we have 4 so it works out great. Cabinet space there's so much of it we can't even reach all of it. Going to remove the book shelf under the tv and install a fireplace. The new ones come with. Ours is a 2011. It pulls great had to get used to though it's alot of 5th wheel. Now it seams smaller . When we go places it seems everyone hangs out at ours we put a 32 inch tv in the front storage space worked out well. If you need any other info let me know. I think you would really like it.
FLsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Richie Rich Vt

I was leaning towards the Copper Canyon as I like the Bedroom and the extra storage room. I think my wife is more in tune with the little finer finish of the Cougar. We will go and look at both again this weekend. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
CampJKL

Not sure what the family set up is on your end but we love the Cougar 324RLB. Tons of storage and the kids room/loft can convert into office/spare bedroom/storage when the college days start.
CampJKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
LarryL

The bedrooms in both are nice but both have small kitchens
where do you spend the most time and need the most space
Old 03-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
RCrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampJKL View Post
Not sure what the family set up is on your end but we love the Cougar 324RLB. Tons of storage and the kids room/loft can convert into office/spare bedroom/storage when the college days start.
Gotta agree on the 324RLB. With the loft, they have the downstairs to play and have their toys out. When its time to go to bed, we don't have to worry about cleaning up every night if it is just our kids.

The lack of kitchen space is moot. There is enough room for food preparation and the majority of the time, we BBQ outside anyways. Having kid space is more important IMO

I do like the placement of the front entertainment on these better. But it is minor.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
CampJKL

Well said...That and the two bathrooms (with the rear one next to the "play room") keep the kids outta the master. Oh and we like that the rear bathroom door is on the same side as the main door...easier to see who comes and goes at the rear of the trailer.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
Richie Rich Vt

Well things have changed. My wife does not like the Copper Canyon. We discussed the travel trailer Outback 320bh thouroughly and decided that bang for our buck, and what we need that we would buy an Outback 320(we currently have a outback 250rs) I was content with this decision figuring in 5 years when the two kids 6&9 are bigger we could get a bigger rv. Well today she says the Cougar 293sab is nice. I think the floorplan in concept is nice but its too small. We decided that the bunk houses in the 330rbk and the coppper 324 were not good as both kids were off the floor in their bunks.
Any opinions?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
CampJKL

We like the 324RLB because kids can sleep up or down or both. If you're worried about them rolling off the loft we put a body pillow up there without issue.

We recently ran into another couple who have a RLB and 3 boys ages 3-8... All the boys sleep in the loft!

I'd say the only "issue" with the loft is that the ducts are not the best. It typically gets warmer than we like. So we have exchanged the floor register for a adjustable one in winter and use a 12v fan to help in the summer.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
f6bits

RR, it sounds like your kids are close to the same age as mine (4 mo and 3 yrs). #1 is in the lower bunk and #2 is in a pack and play. I built a guard fence for both bunks that slips over the lip. The top bunk has a taller fence. #1 can climb over the lower fence and onto her step stool to get in and out of the bunk. When #2 gets old enough, he’ll get the lower bunk and #1 will get promoted. I have no fears about #1 falling out of the top bunk, but I need to figure out how to get her in and out of that bunk. I expect I’ll be making a ladder. She’s already a good climber, so I think when she gets promoted, she’ll have the necessary agility to safely go up and down the ladder.

My opinion is that the bunk configuration isn’t a problem. You already have a bunk, so now might be a good time for #1 to practice using the upper bunk. I don’t like the idea of upgrading trailers every 5 years, so I’m hoping ours is good for at least 10. By then I’ll have a bigger tow vehicle and can get a bigger trailer.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
Richie Rich Vt

Sday,
Your setup is very similar to mine in the Outback 250rs I currently have. I also built a ladder and gate over the lip to keep them from falling out. if we go with the new Outback 320bh the setup is very similar to what we have, and would do similar.
I really like the Outback 320bh, but am leaning toward the Cougar 293sab because the kids have their own bunkroom and bathroom. We will see what my better half has to say.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. By the way my kids are 6 and 9. I wish I had started bringing them camping when they were younger as its just great family fun.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
Richie Rich Vt

Camp,
Thanks for all your input. I actually looked at a rlb this weekend, I think its great. I just cannot see my kids sleeping together, I know its no different than sleeping in bunks but I think my daughter would have a real problem sleeping with her younger brother. If I had 1 child or 2 same sex I would be all over it.
I am thinking the 293sab unless their is some reason people think not too. its smaller than I wanted but only by a couple of feet.
Thanks again
Rich
Old 03-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #14
RCrawler

My kids are 10 and 7, girl and boy. I thought the same as you that they wouldn't want to be in the same area to sleep. We usually separate them with one up top, and have the other on the couch below and switch them around every night. But they always end up in the loft together. And even getting along most of the time too .

Had some of our friends kids go with us, 2 girls and a boy. We had the girls in the loft and the boys downstairs. Went in to check on them later and all 5 of them were asleep up top.

In the end, you have to be happy with what you pick. We would have probably bought a bunkhouse, but we couldn't find much around here in a 5th wheel.

CampJKL, I haven't noticed a lack of air flow in the loft. But I wish that it had some opening windows up there for cross ventilation. Most of the areas that we camp in regularly cool off quite a bit at night. But we are planning a summer trip down south, so I might have to come up with something before then.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote