Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
mets721

Basement TV mount

When we bought our Cougar 327RES our dealer mentioned that we could mount a TV in the basement, by the cable hook up, with and articulating arm mounted to the inside wall. That way the TV lays flat against the wall when not in use or traveling and then articulates out to or through the door for viewing. Has anyone done this? Is that wall strong enough to support a 24-32 inch tv and mount?
Old 08-09-2016, 04:31 AM   #2
bsmith0404

The wall is not strong enough to support it, but there is aluminum framing behind the wall that is. If everything doesn't line up where you need it for your bracket you have a couple choices to make things work. You could replace the existing wall board with 3/4 plywood or you could put a backing board behind the existing board between the studs. If you go that route, I would also add a cross brace behind the studs, basically sandwiching the aluminum studs between the backing board and front wall board with a filler between them for mounting the bracket. Hope that makes sense.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
bridge4d

I've got an 327RES as well and I've got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Ready-America...ds=rv+tv+mount

One of the mount brackets in the bedroom and one by the basement power outlet and cable hookup down close to the bottom of the wall. If memory serves the wall is thicker closer to the bottom. The TV is a 24" unit and I haven't had any issues.

2018 Montana 3731FL Legacy
2017 F350 Dually
bridge4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:38 AM   #4
gman1966347

You might want to go with one that is meant for rv travel. You might pay a little more but your t.v. will be secure while in motion. This is the model that I have in my basement. I absolutely love it! Well worth it. These folks make our suspension, so I figured I would give them a shot! Good luck! They do sell on amazon. http://www.morryde.com/products/78-h...%2F1-tv-mounts
gman1966347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
WaltBennett

I'll bet you've the same mount we've got, and the same plastic block on the basement wall. It's there so you can take the bedroom TV off the wall and mount it there to watch while outside. I've had the wall off more than once while installing solar, and it's mounted directly to the aluminum frame. I'd say there's plenty of strength if you wanted to leave it there, but just be certain it stows against the wall and nothing will bounce around and hit the screen. That's the reason it's better in your bedroom for travel.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #6
CaptnJohn

Thought long about how to mount the tv in the basement. Decided NOT to mount it and not to remove the tv in the bedroom. Just bought a 3rd ~ keep it in the basement or move it to a table with a longer cable and an extension cord. Rather have it more versatile, not always looking into the basement.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:43 AM   #7
Dave W

I would bet that the wall in itself is strong enough for a bracket and small TV as it is probably a 3/8 or 1/2 inch luan type of plywood as ours is made from. It does have a 3/4 (1x4 or 6) backer to spread the load and give the screws some 'meat'. This in turn easily holds our little bedroom 19" TV. There is a cable hook up and 12VDC cigarette lighter socket all ready to go in the basement just below that swing out bracket along with a 110VAC socket. That basement wall, probably 2 pieces, a short one on the passengers side and a longer one on the driver's side is only held in place with a few screws. You also may need to remover a plastic wall hiding the plumbing which is also has a few fasteners. If for some reason you don't have a coax connector in the basement wall, the cable entry point is usually behind that plastic wall hiding the plumbing and you will need a coax TEE and possibly an A-B switch if yours wasn't originally set up for dual TV use by Keystone. The existing roof TV antenna may not work though if the RV wasn't already wired in the basement by the manufacturer.

A note though - pulling that basement wall down my cause heart palpitations when you see how the wiring is dangling. A few cable ties and clamps will at least pretty things up some and take the stress of connections.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:06 AM   #8
NotyetMHCowner

I thought long and hard how to mount ours in the basement. I wanted it to slide out and articulate to different positions, and be quick to slide back in without problems. Our basement is shaped wider on the awning side than the street side because of the convenience center so that gave some room to mount it on the left wall and still have full width of the basement like the street side.

I mounted a piece of 3/4" plywood, vertically, about 10" from the left wall and mounted the tv on it, facing the rear. That way it has its own "alcove" and is protected from other stuff in the basement. I bought 2 sets of 24" full slide drawer slides and bolted them together to get 48" of slide (it was a little more than I needed, but they were about the same price as the shorter ones). I cut a piece of plywood about 10"x10" to attach the slides to the articulating bracket for the tv. I painted it all black and it blends in real good.

I installed a 2x4 on the floor for the plywood to sit on with 3 angle bracket attached to the plywood and 3 on top attached to the aluminum floor joists. That was if I need to get into the rear wall to access the wiring, I just disconnect the tv from the bracket (I mounted it with 2 carriage bolts and wing nuts), then take 6 screws out and the whole thing comes out except for the 2x4 on the floor. I used some 1" nylon webbing with a buckle to keep the tv in place while traveling. I have room now for a dvd player and a game console to sit next to the tv.

The camper is getting warranty work done or I would have taken pictures of it to show. I will try to remember when I get it back home.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:51 PM   #9
gman1966347

This is what I have on my Montana. I love it! Quality built, strong and meant for rv travel. Not just for a home. http://www.morryde.com/products/78-h...%2F1-tv-mounts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140223_152714.jpg
Views:	1837
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	11109   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140223_152829.jpg
Views:	2254
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	11110   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151031_192847.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	11111  
Old 08-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #10
Pull Toy

+1 for CaptnJohn!

Why be tied to the swing arm regardless of the camping site? Using a traditional pedestal footed TV give you much more versatility. Add an extra 20 foot co-ax, and put it anywhere you want.... even in the guest room at home for the down time.

Our basement TV resides secured to the rear bulkhead of the basement, on its base, in transit... secured with a bungi. and a bed pillow to the rear bulkhead. Once we're on site we decide, based on sun, sun angle, shade etc... where to locate the entertainment.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #11
gman1966347

We tried the t.v. on the pedestal and all of cabling mess. We set up that morryde t.v. mount, ran all of our HDMI cables blur-ray dvd, sub woofer, surrround sound in the basement and is a very CLEAN set-up. Very professional looking. Not only am I impressed with it but alot of other people love the set up too. The t.v. slides in and out, turns left to right, locks into position for travel with out any trouble. Just my .02
Old 08-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #12
Cabindweller

I made my own "mount" that swings down from the ceiling. It seems secure but I haven't traveled with it yet. Time will tell. If it fails, I will look into the MORryde. Thanks for the tip!

2017 F350 SuperDuty - Lariat, Crew Cab, PowerStroke, SRW, 4x4
Cabindweller is offline   Reply With Quote