Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2016, 05:53 AM   #1
SkiSmuggs

299RKS inside slide seal tearing

The last time we camped, I noticed a rubber strip flapping on the outside of the slide. It turned out to be a seal that is on the inside frame of the slide opening and it had torn away from its bead for about 14". I now have some gorilla tape on it, but no hope of it lasting long as it doesn't like to stick to the rubber.
Has anyone replaced one of these? The groove that the bead slides into is in a metal strip screwed onto the frame opening. That metal strip also has two key holes that the slide cables pass through so it won't come off when I unscrew it, but I should be able to pull it out far enough to slide the beading out and a new one in. For anyone whose done this, is it that easy or are there some gotchas I need to be aware of?
I figure the dealer will charge a few hundred to do the job and would rather do it myself, plus I would probably have to remove my Andersen Ultimate adapter from the pin.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:59 AM   #2
dcg9381

You've got an Accu-slide. Make sure the slide has adequate clearance between the upper trim piece and the slide opening (both front and rear). If it doesn't, then installing a new seal won't help because it's going to tear. The slide should be approximately "center" in the opening and should be prevented from moving too far forward or back by rollers near the bottom.

The accu-slide has a cover on the inside, called a "jamb clamp" - if you remove this (a few screws) it'll expose what you need to get to.

I'm having ongoing trouble with in the same area. My slide clearance is inadequate so the seal gets "pinched" between the upper trim on the side and the slide opening. This pulls the seal out / tears it when opening/closing the slide. Our seal was replaced last time we were at the dealer. It went through 3 open/close manipulations before tearing again...

Photos:
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:24 AM   #3
SkiSmuggs

Thanks for the explanation. This is our fifth season with 30 days or more each season so it may just be time but I will have a look at the clearance. It appears that the old seal will have to slide out the top of the channel and a new one slid down. I wonder if any special tools are needed.
We have had to had our cables adjusted 3 times even with some adjustment by me on one long trip just to keep the slide from jamming.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #4
Sulphur1

We have a 2011 299RKS so will check out the inner liner. I have noticed the outer one doubles over in places - don't know if it's the same seal.
Does anyone spray the slideout seals with a "dry lube"?
Cheers
Jon
Sulphur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #5
SkiSmuggs

This seal is installed inside, but gets pulled outside when the slide goes out and that is how it seals. The Gorilla tape is holding after two run outs. A dry lube comes on the seal or feels like it. The tape doesn't stick well to it.