Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #1
Lic0rice

Replacement bearing/hub on '06 - 3400RL

Not having any issues but I might go ahead and pull/replace the hubs on my '06 - Montana 3400RL. Does anyone know the OM of the hubs and where to get replacement bearing and/or hubs for this specific unit? Thanks
B&W Turnoverball + B&W Companion Hitch
1998 Key West 1720
Lic0rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #2
gearhead

If you have Dexter axles they may have a hub assembly. Look on the axle for a paper tag with model, serial #. At 10 years old the tag may be gone though. If you know the weight rating that may be enough.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:51 AM   #3
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

I would not replace the hubs if they aren't damaged. New bearings and races would freshen things up.

Keystone's brochure doesn't say, but I would bet Dexter is the OEM for the axles. The brochure says 8-lug wheels, so I am guessing 7k lb axles.

My axles is stamped/etched with manufacturing info (manufacturer, GAWR, etc.). It is on the axle tube, near the center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #4
Dave W

Do you by chance have Dexter Nevr-Lube hubs on that '06 Montana? If so, replacement parts are expensive plus you will need a high capacity press to install replacement bearing capsules. If they are 7000 pound axles, they are even more costly to rebuild. On the other hand, a standard bearing hub seldom totally fails, is completely rebuildable for about 25 dollars give or take each for parts - two bearing assemblies and a grease seal and a couple tubs of grease for the entire job. Bearings - the preferred Timkens - are inexpensive at Rock Auto and the usual 10-36 seals are $3.90 a pair at etrailer.com.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
Lic0rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Do you by chance have Dexter Nevr-Lube hubs on that '06 Montana? If so, replacement parts are expensive plus you will need a high capacity press to install replacement bearing capsules. If they are 7000 pound axles, they are even more costly to rebuild. On the other hand, a standard bearing hub seldom totally fails, is completely rebuildable for about 25 dollars give or take each for parts - two bearing assemblies and a grease seal and a couple tubs of grease for the entire job. Bearings - the preferred Timkens - are inexpensive at Rock Auto and the usual 10-36 seals are $3.90 a pair at etrailer.com.
Thanks for the info. I have not started inspecting the 5th wheel hub/spindle/brakes yet. Right in the middle of replacing the hub/spindles on my '98 boat trailer. After taking off and seeing the condition they were in, I'm a bit paranoid.

Thanks again for the insight!!
1998 Key West 1720
Old 06-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lic0rice View Post
Thanks for the info. I have not started inspecting the 5th wheel hub/spindle/brakes yet. Right in the middle of replacing the hub/spindles on my '98 boat trailer. After taking off and seeing the condition they were in, I'm a bit paranoid.

Thanks again for the insight!!
An RV is a horse of a different color. In the few years that I owned a boat and trailer, I probably replaced hubs 3 times regardless of Bearing Buddies and covers plus pounds of grease. I don't own a boat any longer
Old 06-11-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
Lic0rice

They are Dexter D60 axles with EZ lube fitting. Any opinions on the best replacement bearings?
1998 Key West 1720
Old 06-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #8
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lic0rice View Post
They are Dexter D60 axles with EZ lube fitting. Any opinions on the best replacement bearings?
Like I said above - Timkens, usually USA made, and the least expensive is Rock Auto Parts. D60 doesn't mean a thing to me and possibly no one else. With a Montana you can have 5200, 6000 or 7000 pound capacity axles. The outer bearings, IIRC are all the same but the inners are larger as the capacity goes up. The Dexter website will give you their number but it may not be easily cross referenced to the worldwide bearing manufacturers number. Once you know your axle capacity - it may be on the sticker on the left front near the gas bottle or basement hatch or if not there, you may need to call Dexter/AL-KO/Lippert with the number from the axle itself (middle, back side ). You may need some sandpaper to clean off the crud as it is stamped on the axle tube. Of course, you can pull a hub, remove the bearings and use the number stamped on each. A note - etrailer sells mostly unlabeled brand, foreign made bearings. They work, but the Chinese bearings on our Montana were suspect and colored dark and were replaced last summer
Old 06-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #9
Lic0rice

The D60 is Dexter's 6000# axle. Confirmed on the sticker. I'll use Timkens. NAPA says they can have them in 24hrs if not in stock.

Thanks for the info.
1998 Key West 1720