Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2016, 02:17 AM   #1
buckeyebobhockingcamper

broken slideout cable

on my return trip from winter in florida my slideout cable broke,luckily slideout stayed in!!!now its in driveway fully out ,hope dealer can come to me as its still under warranty.end broke off cable and its inside somewhere
buckeyebobhockingcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #2
dcg9381

I think I have a post showing how my cables were resting on the "jamb clamp" - and we're trying to get that fixed. The metal on metal is bad. Check your sides for this... PM me if you need more details.

There is a "kit" with a Chinese-handcuff kinda thing that is made for getting you out of such a bind. Replacement cables are on Amazon.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:20 PM   #3
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebobhockingcamper View Post
on my return trip from winter in florida my slideout cable broke,luckily slideout stayed in!!!now its in driveway fully out ,hope dealer can come to me as its still under warranty.end broke off cable and its inside somewhere

I'll admit I don't understand how the cables work on our slides. How did you get the slide out with a broken cable?
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:14 AM   #4
buckeyebobhockingcamper

cables

well i called dealer and he said slide should work with 3 cables!i tried to run slide in intially,,because corner was out 2 inches.it wouldnt go in any more so i assumed it wouldnt work in in posittion.now that its out and we were able to remove all contents from florida winter trip ,i tried in posittion and it worked!!!!!all 3 other cables are tight so i will run it in and take to dealer .i allready have appointment for kitchen slide that evidentlly has weak motor,and slideout awning thats broke!!!and couch that keeps ripping screws out of floor!!!!
2015 unit!!!
Old 04-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #5
Tbos

Glad it worked with 3. That's good info to know in the event it ever happens to us.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:43 AM   #6
buckeyebobhockingcamper

it went in but wasnt going is straight so i had to push one end while wife pushed buttton,gonna limp to dealer
Old 04-30-2016, 04:49 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

This may (or may not) help in your situation, but hopefully it'll help someone "along the way"....

BAL cables are "notorious" for breaking. Many people carry a spare cable, some even carry a pair of cables. They are very easy to change out, even for someone with "all thumbs"... On many RV's, there is a decal above the slide, hidden by the fascia, that outlines adjustment and routing of the cables. It's almost like following a "road map" to route the cables properly.

How much? Amazon sells the BAL cable kit for $20 (with free Prime shipping) so it's almost always cheaper (and faster) to replace a broken cable "on site" than it is to even pay for the gas/diesel to tow it to the dealership (unless you live next door)...

Here's the cable: http://www.amazon.com/BAL-22305-Cabl...V+slide+cables

And you can find links to BAL's slideout mechanism online as well as a number of "Youtube" videos on what to do and how to do it.....

Good Luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote