Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
WHThayer

Any Cougar 318SAB owners??

Hey..
Next week I am probably going to upgrade to the 318SAB I have done my homework and It looks like an awesome unit. Any comments? Are you guys all happy campers??
WHThayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
kenn209

We have a 2010 model, Love it! No issues so far, If you can get the 16" tires, Ours has 15's and I feel like they are undersized. Other than that very nice unit. Enjoy it!!
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Jim W

Hi,
First welcome to the forum.
I too own a 318SAB, bought it new in Feb of 10. A great trailer and layout. I would recommend that you do a thorough PDI with the dealer. Not that any thing was wrong with our trailer, but it is easier to get it fix at the dealer now, not latter. I would also recommend that all tanks be filled and the water system should work with no issues. Have the dealer show you where and how to operate the dump valves and where the water heater bypass is.

We only have one A/C unit in our trailer and it works great along with the heater. We have slept in the trailer with night time temps in the 30F range with no problems. Front bed room stays warm. The A/C was used in Nashville last summer, day time highs in the 90's with 90% humidity and the trailer was kept in the 78F deg range.

My only complaint with the unit so far was the pin box and the amount of bucking we expereince with the unit. But this is common with all 5er's. I have since installed a TrailAir pin box and towed it once. It seem to help with the bouncing of the truck and trailer. We will know more when we go out west to Yellowstone park this summer.

Jim W
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
WHThayer

Wow...Jim....Thanks. You make me feel a lot better about this sale. I currently have a 2004 Outback and have no issues with it. I just thought after this many years I should upgrade. I'm not sure what you mean by a thorough PDI but I will for sure make sure everything is working. I have been dealing with this company for years and dont antici[pate a single problem. They are the best!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #5
Jim W

Hi,
A PDI is a Pre-delivery audit/inspection that is done at the dealers yard. You and the dealer go over the trailer to insure that everything is in working order and there are no hidden issues. If the trailer has issues then they are either repaired or the unit is replaced with another unit, untill you are satisfied with the trailer. This is done before you sign on the bottom line and take the trailer home. The dealer will do everything in his power to make sure you are happy with the trailer if he does not have your money just yet.

By going over the use and inspection of the trailer with the dealer not only will you know you are getting a good unit. But you will also know how to operate the systems on said trailer.

Here is a pre-delivery audit that was put together by Flyguy, one of the moderators on this site. He has provided this to many others for their use.
http://www.eaa1358.com/Passport/Pre-...0Checklist.pdf

Jim
Old 01-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Sioux Falls Traveler

Hi:
We bought an 08 318SAB in March 08. Have put over 20,000 miles on it with only minor problems which were fixed under warrenty. This included recarpeting the living room when the big slide cut a small hole in carpet. This past summer, we took it to Alaska and went up the Dalton Hwy to Prudoe Bay. Great trip with no problems other than flat on the truck. I did upgrade the wheels and tires to 16 in, added Dextar Eazy Flex suspension and 5th Airborne pinbox. We love the trailer. Larry
Sioux Falls Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
WHThayer

Thanks guys.....and Jim...I owe you one. I will bring a copy of that inspection list with me.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
E&Lteam

We love our Cougar 318sab too.

We have a 2011 Cougar 318sab. Picked it up beginning of May/10. Out more than 45 nights through May-Thanksgiving 2010. On our last trip out the little puck style LED docking lights would not turn off. Checked switch and it was fine. Will take in for service as soon as snow melts here.
Has anyone with the new puck style LED docking lights experienced this issue yet?
E&Lteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #9
66ken

Try turning them off with the remote control.If I remember right, if they were turned on with the remote you must turn them off with the remote.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
kenn209

Yep, Its the remote, We had the same issue. Look all over for front storage looking for a fuse etc, took the lights out to look them over. Then later that night I remembered I read a post on here or the other forum about if you use the remote to turn them on you have to use the remote to turn them off. I guess I had accidentally turned them on when messing around with the remote (went thru washer).... Was trying to dry it out.
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
dea3851

318 sab

WHThayer,I also own a 318SAB and we love the floor plan,have not had any trouble yet, had it out for 9 days last fall and everything worked great,it tows very well and have lots of comments about how nice it looks, very pleased with it and hope to have it a long time Don
dea3851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
E&Lteam

re: puck style led lights

Thanks, will give it a try. Must have accidently turned them on with the remote.
Didn't even know that you could turn them on with remote. Will keep you posted on our outcome.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
E&Lteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn209 View Post
Yep, Its the remote, We had the same issue. Look all over for front storage looking for a fuse etc, took the lights out to look them over. Then later that night I remembered I read a post on here or the other forum about if you use the remote to turn them on you have to use the remote to turn them off. I guess I had accidentally turned them on when messing around with the remote (went thru washer).... Was trying to dry it out.
Thanks! Boy, do we feel stupid. We didn't even realize that you could switch the docking lights on and off with the remote. Must have accidently turned them on without even knowing it. Glad you set us straight before we made an embarrassing trip back to the dealer to make a complaint!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #14
canuck557

Cougar 318sab

hello all, we're down to the short strokes on picking up a used 2010, 218sab. Did a walk through to do a evaluation of the unit. Looked good from this. Thanks Jim for the PDI, will certainly help. I haven't read or seen anything in the forums yet on serious issues, however is there anything I should pay close attention too. The coach was purchased in Kelowna BC, spent winters in Phoenix area, never seen cold temps (below -20). Does have water tank bypass, winterizing capable.
The Bed slide had a rubber extension to the outer seal the owner advised was for heavy rain (there hasn't been any moisture in weeks so any evidence inside the coach was evaporated), is there issues with the seal in bedroom slides?
The flooring in the living/ kitchen area has been changed to a Maple veneer snap/ click flooring, the owner advised he didn't like the carpet. I've read in the forums there was some issue with the carpet on some units.
We'll be pulling the coach with a 2011 3/4T Duramax, the Cougar has had the air suspension hitch installed.
Any thoughts anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.
canuck557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
MarkS

We have a 2014 318SAB so I can' t really comment on long term maintenance. We really like the layout. It's comfortable and does not have wasted space. You can also get to the kitchen and bath with the slides in. Good for packing and breaks along the road.

Have the seller show you the trailer with the slides in. In some versions, you have to put one of the chairs on the couch for travel. I have to, but don't find it a big deal.

Look at he bed slide, some trailers have the bed separate from the wall. Not hard to fix, but make the seller do it.

There is a social group here for the 318. You might want to look there.

We tow ours with a 2011 Duramax. Very happy with that combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
Brantlaker

318sab

The DW and I have ours for about a year and a half and we love it. First trip we went to Chicago,IL 2,000 miles no problems and have been on trips long and short. Had a few problems the Bed pulled away from the Slide, the rear bumper was falling off (poor welds),the black flush valve leaked,and a screw coming up through the floor.Since we bought it we have traveled about 7,000 miles.Leaving next week on a 8,000 mile 5+ weeks trip out to the South West to see National Parks

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #17
canuck557

new to us 218 sab

Thank you, we'll check out the bed slide issue, thanks for the info on the social group, I'll check in.
canuck557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #18
WHThayer

Social group??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
We have a 2014 318SAB so I can' t really comment on long term maintenance. We really like the layout. It's comfortable and does not have wasted space. You can also get to the kitchen and bath with the slides in. Good for packing and breaks along the road.

Have the seller show you the trailer with the slides in. In some versions, you have to put one of the chairs on the couch for travel. I have to, but don't find it a big deal.

Look at he bed slide, some trailers have the bed separate from the wall. Not hard to fix, but make the seller do it.

There is a social group here for the 318. You might want to look there.

We tow ours with a 2011 Duramax. Very happy with that combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Can you direct me to this group???
Old 09-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #19
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHThayer View Post
Can you direct me to this group???
Hi; it is under the Community list then a drop down link shows up and you can hit the social group from that. You will need to list all groups to find the correct one you are interested in.

Jim W.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #20
dacar

we have a 2010 model - not major issues. a/c had a warranty issue in the first year. nothing since. we we could more air in the bedroom - a/c only has 1 vent.
Jim W - we have 5th Airborne hitch which eliminated all the bucking
dacar is offline   Reply With Quote