Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

I have always painted our king pin and the slide bar on our hitch. When we bought the Cougar, I decided to try something a bit different. Rather than paint the king pin flange, I cleaned it well with acetone and put a piece of yellow reflective tape (left over from marking the landing gear legs) on the King pin flange and a piece of red reflective tape on the hitch slide bar (or you could put it on the jaws if you have that type hitch).

Paint was relatively easy to see, but the reflective tape really stands out even in the shadows under the nose of the trailer. I didn't realize how much easier it would be to see than the paint. So far, it also seems to be more durable.

As to how I marked the landing gear: I used a 2" strip of yellow reflective tape at the top and bottom just before the maximum travel position, then I put a 1/2" piece of red reflective tape at the "DON'T GO HERE" location (at the maximum travel position). When I see the yellow, I know I'm getting close and when I see the red, I know DON'T GO ANY FURTHER!!!!! So far, I've not topped out or bottomed out the landing gear and no fuses have needed to be replaced.

The left over tape just seemed a "natural" for the king pin flange.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #22
Yosemitebob

Not sure if it was mentioned, but give yourself a lot of room for breaking. You have a big difference carrying that weight behind you. Just remember it's there. Have a great time!
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:42 AM   #23
sdetweil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
For those of you who have jaws on your hitch (sliding bar folks too), try painting the jaws white or some other brilliant, visible colour - yellow or ???
Since I've painted my jaws white, I no longer need a flashlight to see if they are correctly in place.

Just clean all the grease and gunk off the jaws, and put a couple of coats of exterior paints on the jaws -- it's as simple as that! Easy to see in the dim light.
Nice suggestion!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #24
pol1122

Practice

Not sure if you are proficient at pulling such a long trailer, grab some cones and find a empty parking lot and practice backing up and maneuvering around. It will save you some grief later on.
pol1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #25
BobnLee

new to 5th wheel.

All good sound advice from everyone. One thing you should want to memorize is the height of your trailer. I was surprised when I asked a couple of friends who have a 5th wheel and they didnt know what the height of their trailers were. Maybe they guess when they get off the interstate and have to go under a low bridge and hope for the best.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #26
jje1960

Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnLee View Post
All good sound advice from everyone. One thing you should want to memorize is the height of your trailer. I was surprised when I asked a couple of friends who have a 5th wheel and they didnt know what the height of their trailers were. Maybe they guess when they get off the interstate and have to go under a low bridge and hope for the best.
Always interesting for rainy day to watch the youtube video's of those that don't know the height of their unit or are just plain ignorant of the fact that they are towing a huge box behind them that is sticking up in the air around 12'.... My favorites are the one that takes the Bank drive thru structure down and the one that cleaned off the top of his Fifth Wheel 'slick as a whistle'..... Now I don't enjoy seeing people almost get killed nor anyone losing their hard earned gear... However... why isn't common sense very ... 'common'...
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #27
sdetweil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
Always fun for rainy day to watch the youtube video's of those that don't know the height of their unit or are just plain ignorant of the fact that they are towing a huge box behind them that is sticking up in the air around 12'.... My favorites are the one that takes the Bank drive through structure down and the one that cleaned off the top of his Fifth Wheel 'slick as a whistle'..... Now I don't enjoy seeing people almost get killed nor anyone losing their hard earned gear... However... why isn't common sense very ... 'common'...
I think its because it is so easy to pull these things, one gets complacent, and forgets the constant vigilance required.

I punctured holes in the roof, 3 days after getting the trailer, because I didn't STOP and look, when I couldn't tell if there was enough clearance 1/4 mile from home in my own sub. Once I saw the tree debris in the rearview mirror it was too late. I let my expectation overrule my caution.
(the county still hasn't trimmed the trees. 3 ways to my house, 2 are blocked by low trees at ~10ft)
Old 11-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #28
jje1960

Trees

I hear you with those trees! I as well was attacked by a killer tree a few years ago.... Saddest part, I had a backup guide that was supposed to keep a lookout for them!!!!
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #29
Dhuhn

Just remember even if you have someone helping you back up and you end up hitting something, or damaging something it's still the drivers responsibility not the person directing you. Good rule of thumb is, if your backing into a place even with help get out of your truck and check the area yourself it will save you headaches later and only takes a few min.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #30
Barbell

My biggest concern before we began traveling with our Montana was being able to stop it with my 2500 Dodge. However, once I got the brake control properly adjusted, so that the trailer brakes do their share of the braking, it was no longer a concern. If you are unsure of how to do the adjustment, read the directions that came with the control or ask someone with experience. DON'T start out with out making sure the control is properly adjusted.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #31
abneynormal

welcome

I have driven a truck off and on for 20 years so it is natural for me . advice wise look up. in turns if in doubt take it ALL, lanes that is. try to go into unknown areas in the daytime when possible what you cant see can hurt you/ your rv. check fifth wheel at every hook up. check the pin box bolts periodically. if you stop kick those tires and feel of the wheel for excessive heat unless you have a tire/ temp monitoring system. I would say tires and suspension checks are as important as watching out for trees. note the tires,tires,tires section. have fun
Old 11-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #32
SAABDOCTOR

Hi one thing i did to help withe the on how high! I put the height in sticker form and put it on my mirror.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote