Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
AlanF

Angry GFI Issue - Moved to 5th wheels

I have a Cougar 327RES with 3 slides. All of the electrical outlets in my kitchen slide are wired to the single GFCI in my bathroom. I cannot run any of my normal appliances in the kitchen. I must use an extension cord to a non GFCI outlet. Is it normal to hang the kitchen of a single GFCI, or is it a manufacturing error?
AlanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
GaryWT

Generally one or two cover all. What is the issue. Is it popping? Might just need to be replaced.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
AlanF

It trips frequently and sometimes for no apparent reason and is very difficult to reset. Two Keystone dealers have found no fault and would not change it. It is still under warranty so I am reluctant to touch it yet.
AlanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

For a few dollars, I would change it if you feel comfortable doing the work. Since the problem is documented at two dealers you should not have any warranty problems. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:20 AM   #5
Drew Waller

Gfi

I've got the same issue. Anything that plugs into the outlets will blow the GFI fuze. I thought at first someone was using a curling iron in the bath room. That was not the case. I was told they don't use those anymore and we don't have one in the camper. It will blow with nothing plugged into those outlets?

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
2013 Raptor 332 Toy Hauler
TrailAir Tri-Glide
2 Honda ATV's for climbing
mountains & getting muddy.
Traveling Partners: Dozer & Zeus
Drew Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
PND

I have gotten bad GFCI recep. right out of the box. Just get a new one and replace it. Also pick up a "circuit tester" (Home Depot\Lowes) that you plug into a recep.. It has seveal lights that will light up, telling you whether the circuit is wired correctly or not. I don't think the electrical in an RV is inspected, like your house or commercial wiring, so it is possible it is not wired correctly. Improperely wired GFCI will trip.

PND
PND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PND View Post
I have gotten bad GFCI recep. right out of the box. Just get a new one and replace it. Also pick up a "circuit tester" (Home Depot\Lowes) that you plug into a recep.. It has seveal lights that will light up, telling you whether the circuit is wired correctly or not. I don't think the electrical in an RV is inspected, like your house or commercial wiring, so it is possible it is not wired correctly. Improperely wired GFCI will trip.

PND
While you are at it .... with shore power disconnected ...... tighten all the neutral and ground screws in your electrical panel. (White and bare wires connected to bus-bars.) The dealers you went to should have done this .... BUT
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
While you are at it .... with shore power disconnected ...... tighten all the neutral and ground screws in your electrical panel. (White and bare wires connected to bus-bars.) The dealers you went to should have done this .... BUT
I did this when I had to replace my convertor. I found several screws very loose.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
eds451

I had a gfi problem that turned out to be the appliance. The DW's hair dryer would not function on the actual GFI outlet, yet work fine on other outlets. I posted here for help. (thanks to all for the sleuthing) Turns out, it was the dryer as it shortly died thereafter. Bought a new one, tested OK on the GFI outlet. Double check polarity and again, tighten ALL outlets.

Are your appliances 2 or 3 prong?

Central Calif.
2010 Dodge 2500HD, 5.7 hemi
2007 Cougar 244rls
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote