Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
suza

Thumbs up Sharing features I love!

We've had our 2014 Cougar 279RKSWE for two weeks now. I've had time to become acquainted and just want to share some features I love. For a smaller 5th wheel, this one is very spacious.

1. The rear kitchen layout - this is what prompted me to choose the 279RK. You do have to sacrifice one of the swivel rockers for the larger kitchen, but IMO it's worth it; for just my husband and I, one chair and a sofa is plenty of seating. And, there are always the free standing dining chairs if someone stops by to chat.
Great kitchen includes: large rear window, plus a smaller one behind the sink (gives you a great view as well as good air circulation); lots of counter; corner sink (space behind sink is just the right size for a dish drying rack); lots of counter; large pantry; did I say lots of counter? There's room for a coffee maker on the counter near the dining table. The only thing I wish is that the pantry and fridge were swapped as I'd like a drawer next to the stove. Plus, it will take a while to get used to the big sink on the left, little one on the right, only because it is the opposite of the sink in our home kitchen. For a shorter 5er, the floor plan is open and not chopped in half with the kitchen in the middle or the fridge does not open up into the entry door. I do wish the kitchen had a skylight like another rear kitchen plan, but with the big window, it probably isn't necessary; the AC is above the kitchen, anyway.

2. Step up right inside door - I didn't think about this when we were looking, but it is perfect for coming in and sitting to take off shoes. I placed a couple of baskets behind the swivel rocker so shoes are easy to find.

3. Walk through bathroom - You can get to the bathroom directly from the door, up the steps, or from the bedroom side, through a pocket door. You can close the living side bathroom door and leave the bedroom sliding bathroom door open and you have plenty of room for dressing. I did not like the layouts with the shower and vanity in the bedroom and the toilet in a tiny closet.

4. Hallway to bedroom - This lets you get to the bedroom if the bathroom is occupied. Also opens up the space in the bedroom so it doesn't feel too confined. The corner cupboard is handy, as well. The hall could also serve as a place for the grandkids to take a time out.

5. Free standing dining table with chairs - This option is so much more comfortable than the U-shaped dinette that was impossible to get into. However, the overhead hang-down light needs to be closer to the middle of the table. If I lean over the table from the kitchen side, I hit my head. Maybe not with the table extension out, though. Just another clearance issue I need to adjust my radar to.

6. Neo-angle shower - I love this shower. More room than a tub/shower. With the open top and skylight, you don't feel boxed in. Can you tell, I'm a bit claustrophobic?

7. Bolsters to extend Queen bed length - What an ingenious idea. You can slide the matress toward the bathroom 6" and use the bolsters to fill the void at the pillow end, thus making the bed a true Queen size. This works great for my 6'2" husband. And there is still plenty of room to walk around the end of the bed. We purchased a 3" memory foam matress topper for the bed and it sleeps perfectly.

8. Storage - There is ample conveniently located storage, especially in the kitchen. The space under the bed is great for blankets and bedding for the sofa bed and sleeping bags and gear for the grandkids (when the Honeymoon is over and we decide to take them on a road trip)

9. Remote control - slides, awning and landing gear can be moved from control panel or by using a remote. Actually slide-outs and electric awning are new to me, so they are also on my favorites list.

I'm sure there will be more "I loves" and perhaps some "I don't likes", but I wanted to share some of my favorite features with others who might be considering which model is "just right" for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	279rkswe_2014.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	3288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cougar 270RK Kitchen.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	3289  
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~