Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Nick & Gia's Trailer

tire change

This question may have been addressed before but I have not seen any post yet.

When changing a flat on my Cougar Xlite 29RLS, mor/ryde suspension, do you put the bottle jack under the axle or under the frame?

thanks for the info
Reese 16k slider 5th wheel hitch
Nick & Gia's Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

If you use the forums search function there will be many threads on flat tire changing. Your owners manual will tell you to jack from the frame but most will tell you they jack from the axle as close to the wheel as possible. (on spring U-bolts is ideal) The way that I prefer if on the highway is to run the good tire up on blocks until the flat is clear of the ground. Anywhere from two to three 2x8s or 2x10s depending on the trailer. (spread axles may not work and some may need 1 more block) It is much more stable than jacks especially on soft shoulders. This is just MY opinion ... YOU should follow Manufacturers recommended method. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Bugle Boy

Here is my TT jacking setup. There is a 3rd crossmember inside the box. When not in use the box is used to store the jack and handle and it sits in the TV bed.

2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Nice setup, looks very safe, but can you get it under the frame with a flat tire and how high does the frame have to lift to raise the tire off the ground????
Old 05-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Bugle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Nice setup, looks very safe, but can you get it under the frame with a flat tire and how high does the frame have to lift to raise the tire off the ground????
Funny you should ask. That photo is with the rig under our Sunline and we never had a flat tire on it. It worked great doing brakes and bearings.

We just got our Cougar 31RKS on May 21 and I have not tried it on the new Cougar yet. May need a bigger box.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

Old 05-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

You may be surprised and need a smaller box.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
mhs4771

Here's my take on this. Your unit rides on the tires which are supported by the springs. So if you put a jack directly under the spring/U-bolt pad, you won't be putting any more stress on the unit than going over a speed hump in a CG.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Bugle Boy

I have never had to change a flat tire on any of our three TTs that we have owned since 2004.

If you put a jack under the U bolt bracket you can't get the tool in to adjust the brakes.

It is my understanding that the axle (pipe) is not heavy enough to support a jack and may be damaged.

I can see putting a jack under the U bolt bracket to change a tire.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

Old 05-31-2013, 05:27 AM   #9
Jim W

I have had to change three flat tires on my two different fivers over the years. And after the first flat tire I found a device called “Trailer Aid”. This ramp can be purchased on line and can be bought in a configuration for a tandem tire use. You simply drive the un-flat tire up on to the ramp; this will support the entire trailer load safely and easily. You may have to lift with a bottle jack the flat tire axle; but this is only supporting the flat tire weight not the entire trailer.

Here is a link for you to review.
http://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Tandem.../dp/B000I4JPZE

To me this is safe and easy to accomplish in changing a tire. The ramp when not in use is stored in the basement in the front compartment.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #10
C130

I bought the Trailer Aid at my local RV store just after purchasing our toy hauler. Hopefully I won't have to use it but it looks like it would work well plus I use it as a chock. They have a two different models which allow for different weights if I remember correctly. They are either yellow or black, depending on the weight allowance.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:40 AM   #11
diugo
Permanent User Ban

I have an assortment of cut planks of different lengths for leveling the trailer on sloping campsites. Three or four of them can be easily stacked to form a ramp high enough to lift one of the wheels completely off the ground.

At first I was a bit leery of this idea, as it puts a lot of extra load on the supporting wheel, springs, and equalizer. What if that overloaded tire decided to blow while I working there??? A friend assuaged my concerns by pointing out that I can lower the landing gear and rear jack to improve safety in this scenario.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
I bought the Trailer Aid at my local RV store just after purchasing our toy hauler. Hopefully I won't have to use it but it looks like it would work well plus I use it as a chock. They have a two different models which allow for different weights if I remember correctly. They are either yellow or black, depending on the weight allowance.
We have a Cougar 5W 279RKSWE GVW 10,320. We have never had the "opportunity" to change a flat on an RV. Want to get tire changing ramps, just in case. Any idea if we would want the yellow or black ramp? I guess, to be safe, we could go with the heavier. Would that be the black? Also (stupid question) do you need two ramps, or just one?
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
Bugle Boy

After treating the slideout roofs (or is it rooves) I got under the trailer to further inspect stuff. Looks like my options for jacking it up are limited. I'm going to get the jack in the box out tomorrow and see how it fits. No way I can use the axles or spring bolt supports.

2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

Old 06-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
hankpage
Site Team

Mine is the same (not so clean) I jack it under the inside u-bolt .... only have to raise it 1/2" to clear inflated tire from ground so a minimum of the weight is transfered elsewhere. This is what I do, but to steal a quote from another member of the forum .... "Your mileage my vary."
Old 06-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
randy69

I have a 3 axels and have used two 4x8x4' long. These also are used for leveling in dry camping. The 20 ton bottle jack I bought has not been used yet.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #16
raytronx

I have used the Trailer Aid Plus on my Cougar and had to add a 2x6 under that to get the lift due to the TrailAir Equilizer. Worked nice tho.

When I had my tires changed for new ones the Les Scwab place jacked under the axles right at the Ubolts. They say they do it there all the time and no ill effects.

I have to think it prob doesn't hurt but like having the ramp as an option for tire changing on the shoulder of a busy freeway.

Ray

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #17
suza

Thanks for the advice, Ray. Can't wait to "hit the road"
suza is offline   Reply With Quote