Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
Brett Beisner

Installing an Inverter on a Keystone 365lev

I am installing an Outback 2800 watt fx mobile inverter in my 2013 keystone 365lev do I need to bypass the stock transfer switch? and my new 365lev has a two hot wires "Red & Black" a white neutral and a bare copper ground after removing all of the breakers and inspecting I found that the Red wire goes to one side of my double pole 50amp breaker and the black goes to the other side of my 50amp breaker my inverter only has two connections in and out of the inverter- A/C hot & neutral in and A/C hot & neutral out so I am guessing that I should not try to connect the red & black together and go into my inverter with one HOT wire and out of inverter with one HOT wire into the two red & black that go to the 50amp breaker? And does anyone know where the stock battery charging unit is located on my 365lev?
Brett Beisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
slewis1694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Beisner View Post
I am installing an Outback 2800 watt fx mobile inverter in my 2013 keystone 365lev do I need to bypass the stock transfer switch? and my new 365lev has a two hot wires "Red & Black" a white neutral and a bare copper ground after removing all of the breakers and inspecting I found that the Red wire goes to one side of my double pole 50amp breaker and the black goes to the other side of my 50amp breaker my inverter only has two connections in and out of the inverter- A/C hot & neutral in and A/C hot & neutral out so I am guessing that I should not try to connect the red & black together and go into my inverter with one HOT wire and out of inverter with one HOT wire into the two red & black that go to the 50amp breaker? And does anyone know where the stock battery charging unit is located on my 365lev?
I don't know the answer to your questions regarding wiring your inverter but if your fiver is like my 2012 Avalanche, I found the WFCO 75 amp converter behind a panel in the basement. Just to the right of the front entry door, open the access door and immediately to the left, remove the panel (8-10 screws) and I found my converter just to the right of the stairs. Not a very convenient place to put it as I feel it is too far away from the batteries the converter is supposed to charge. Let me know how your inverter install goes and if you would, take pictures and post them. Do you know where you are going to install it as I am thinking of installing a Magnum 2000w pure sine wave inverter for my entertainment system?
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers, Trailair Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box, Curt 20K Slider Hitch, Firestone Dual Air Ride System with Load Lifter Air Bags, Tri-Metric Battery Monitor System, Power Max PM4B-75 Boondocker Converter/Charger, Replaced 2-12volt batteries to 2-6V Trojan T106 batteries, replaced all 921 light bulbs with LED's.
slewis1694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Beisner View Post
I am guessing that I should not try to connect the red & black together and go into my inverter with one HOT wire and out of inverter with one HOT wire into the two red & black that go to the 50amp breaker?
Tying the red and black hots together in the breaker box would result in fireworks as soon as you plugged into 50A shore power. But they do need to be tied together in order for your inverter to power all your house circuits.

One elegant way to solve this is to install a 50A outlet on the line out of your inverter. Tie the two hots together only in this new outlet. Then when you want to run the rig off your inverter, you simply plug your shore power cable into this outlet. No wiring mods to the rig at all.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
Brett Beisner

Inverter

Thank you that is an excellent idea. so what you are saying is run positive and negative from Batteries to inverter and connect nothing at all to the AC in ports and run wiring out of the inverter to a 50amp socket plug and when I want to use the inverter just plug my shore cord into it and existing outlet ant I have my inverted power just have to remember to not use the A/C or other large amperage draws. WOW simple and would save a ton of time and I wont have to fool with any of the house wiring.
Thank You.
Brett Beisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
diugo
Permanent User Ban

First of all, thank you for the the thoughtful PM. Glad to help.

Second, if you still can, trade in your Outback inverter/charger for a more basic inverter-only model (and some major cash back). With the 50A outlet suggestion, you won't be able to use the Outback's charger and transfer switch features, so why pay for them?

Third, I forgot to mention that whenever you're using the inverter, you'll need to ensure the RV's converter is disconnected on its AC side. Sometimes this is as simple as flipping a breaker; or you may need to add a toggle switch to perform this function. If you want to automate this, a simple 120VAC 10A SPDT relay is all that's needed: connect its coil to the output of the inverter, and use the normally closed contact to switch off the converter's power whenever the inverter is on.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote