Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
WYRaptor

Underbelly Insulation, or What's Under Your Coroplast?

I know there are several threads about this but I decided to start my own since I am not going to spray foam up into this area for the next time I have to fix this. First trip out this summer with our new 2012 381LEV purchased in Mar 2013. Coming back from Devils Tower this greeted me in my driveway:

This is the front frame section behind the generator and landing gear. The thin sheet of bubble plastic is somewhere in the Nebraska panhandle. Not a big deal, since it's negligible R-value anyway. I'm more concerned about the 6 AWG electric feeders and slide hydraulic hoses hanging free. The coroplast was secured on two sides by only a few very long self tapping screws and no metal strip.

The feeders from the generator had extra length which was coiled and pressing against the exposed threads:

If I remember from my Air Force days, electric and hydraulic lines aren't supposed to be clamped together. I got some rubber insulated hangers and screwed the hydaulic lines to the right frame rail. I routed the extra length of the electric lines over the gray water tank and clamped it where it comes through the frame under the front storage area. I clamped coroplast back up with some 1/2 aluminum strap to spread the load and drove screws every 6-8 inches. I peeked back to under the kitchen slide area and it's a rat's nest of hydraulic hose supported by nothing but the coroplast. That'll have to get fixed later though, got it winterized and put away for now.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
SkiSmuggs

Scary, isn't it! I had a piece of exterior sheet metal that hadn't been trimmed correctly and the edge was rubbing against the wires to the rear stabilizer motor. Tin snips fixed that.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
X-Treme

August 25, and you winterized? That's gotta suck!!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
WaltBennett

After seeing a huge amount of water drain out of the underbelly front part (drove through a really, really heavy rainstorm), I took the front down and trashed the thin, useless strips they used. There were gaps of up to a quarter inch in places between screws! Replaced them with 3/4" wide U channel from Lowe's (bought two 6' strips for about $25) and added some clear caulk. The driver's side on our Monty is held up by the propane line, but the front and curb side are now secure. You can also pick up shorter self-tapping screws there, and I'm certain just about any big box hardware place will have both.

That first part of our underbelly has one grey and the black tank, and wiring & etc., are all secured. I debated adding spray, but went with a stuffing fiberglass in the gaps and reused the 'bubble wrap' (it's not really that and does have some insulation ability). Figured foam would make it too difficult to work on anything.

Still have to open up the rest of the underbelly, but that'll have to wait until I've caught up on my honeydo list.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
fred1609

I had a look at my underbelly and noticed that a bunch of the screws are rusted....I'm gonna replace those before they cant be removed or break.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Jim7411

If Keystone did everything right, then we wouldn't have any use for these forums, right? We'd have to find something else to bitch about!
Jim7411 is offline   Reply With Quote