Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
stlucia

Wet Carpet

Got a 2013 Keystone Montana model 3750FL. Everytime that I've taking her out camping I get water soak carpet in the bedroom between the floor furnice vent and the wall. It's about a square foot in size. I've taken her back a total of 4 times now and they claim that they cannot find a leak.

I even took video of it the last time to prove that I'm not insane. The explanation that I was given to the source of the leak through the video was "sometimes it takes a few weeks camping before the pipes seal up". In additon, the last time out, one of my cables to the front living room slide broke. So, I'm picking her up Saturday from her repairs and taking her immediately to a campground to check for the water leak again. I've contacted Keystone and although they are super polite, I just want my fiver fixed. And so far noboby has found the source of the water.

Any help?
stlucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Have you checked under the vanity for leaks???? There should be an access hatch from the bedroom to the back of the shower faucet ... remove it and hand tighten the fittings. If not is there an outside shower that connects to the inside shower that will give access?? Check caulking around shower base also. Unless it is rain related the leak is coming from that area. Good luck and keep us posted, Hank (Nice floorplan)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
stlucia

Thanks Hank!

It is a nice floorplan...my family loves it. Crestview RV near San Antonio and RV Station in Bryan Texas are the two locations that I've dropped the unit off with hopes of getting this resolved.

They both claim to have removed the wall and undercarraige and found no leaks. I don't have any reason to believe that they are not being anything but truthful with me but I know that I'm still getting water up through my carpet.

I'm trying to brainstorm anything that we do differently camping that would cause this to happen. Using the refrigerator, using our washer.....I'm lost.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
stlucia

By the way Hank, you are one smart cookie. The hand tighting and recaulking is the first thing that the service centers did for us. You know your stuff man!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

My DW tells me I'm full of stuff all the time. Have they checked the vacuum breaker for the black tank rinse. This has been a culprit for leaks in many models and may be located under the vanity. It would only leak when you were flushing the black tank which the dealer would most likely not do.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
geo

Hank's advice is probably a whole lot better than mine. But let me ask, are you using a "good" water pressure regulator? Just not a water flow restrictor, but regulator? Sometimes campground pressures will seem to "be OK", but there will be fluctuations in the water pressure just like electrical spikes in the campground power. Since you are only getting a small area of water damage, it might be that the water pressure is rising (maybe during the night), so your Pex fittings are "weeping" only at that time. When you check it, or the RV shop checks it, you don't see anything, but put 50psi+ on it and "drops happen".

Just a thought.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
PerryB

If they don't fix it soon your OSB (Oriented Strand Board- better than particle board,not as good as plywood) flooring is going to start disintegrating. "A few trips out to get the pipes to seal up" is the biggest load of horse plop I've ever heard. I've never seen a mechanical fault of any kind that gets BETTER with time and/or usage. -- Now that I'm through ranting, that IS a nice floorplan. My wife wants a front living room next time around.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlucia View Post
Got a 2013 Keystone Montana model 3750FL. Everytime that I've taking her out camping I get water soak carpet in the bedroom between the floor furnice vent and the wall.

I even took video of it the last time to prove that I'm not insane. The explanation that I was given to the source of the leak through the video was "sometimes it takes a few weeks camping before the pipes seal up".

Any help?
Are we to believe that we should expect leaking pipes for a few weeks? Soaked carpets and floors until the pipes "seal up"? Where do these people come from? Did he (she) really tell you that?

Let us know the name of the dealership whose service people told you that so we can be spared from buying anything from them or taking our RV in to them for servicing!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
mudmaker

I would say if all else fails then have the wall taken apart and use the camper normally for a few days to see if anything is coming from beyond the wall. Or see if the belly pan is getting wet by asking it apart and using normally. Any fresh water line will recieve a short burst or a bit higher psi right when you shut the faucet off. Maybe the sudden spike albeit short could cause a small leak or spray in a line under the floor.
mudmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
stlucia

Thanks for all your knowledge! The update is that I picked the 5er up from being serviced on Saturday and took it straight to a campground. A few hours after plugging it in and turning everything on, the carpet got damp and by the next morning it was wet again.

I spoke with Keystone again today. I told them that I'm under the clear understanding that I will be able to obtain more help from my forum friends. The Keystone staff that I spoke with was professional and polite. I will begin taking each one of your suggestions and putting them to the test.

Thanks again for all your help, you have given me a starting spot that I did not have before your input.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
Quiroule

Does this happen when it rains, or every day?

I have had a similar problem, but only when it rained.

On each side of the bedroom slide-out, at the bottom, there is an L shape piece of aluminum. The calking joint had become open between the slide and that piece. I fixed it and that solved my problem.

Needless to say, I went around the FW and found a few other places which needed attention.

I hope that helps.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
stlucia

Unfortunately, the part of the US that I reside in, is experiencing a moderate drought. So, the answer to your question is "no". We took possession of the fifth wheel sometime in August and have yet to camp in the rain.