Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
Acrown

License

I live in Nevada and need a class J license endorsement to pull my 16500 lb Fuzion. Taking driving test on Friday and have been practicing parking in an empty parking lot with a friend. Hardest maneuver is backing the unit 90 degrees into a simulated dock/ parking spot. My friend says the 3rd axel makes it different that a 2 axel trailer. Any words of advice from those that have been doing this for a while? (Finding a pull-thru will not work on the exam!!)
Acrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
hankaye

Acrown, Howdy;

This is a series of youtube videos that will be of some help to you.
One important thing to remember is that your wheel sets are NOT
near the rear of the RV. They are more centered. So, you should take
that into consideration as that is the pivot point. Mostly the Commercial
Drivers are backing 53' trailers and the distance to the pivot makes it easier
the further itis away from the front end (Ball or Kingpin). Pay attention to the
fact that Commerical Drivers choise of sides to back to is the Driver's side
(aka sight side), the Passenger's side is refered to as the "Blindside" (It IS difficult
to "SEE" thru a trailer).
Hope these videos help answer some of your questions...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Acrown, Howdy;

This is a series of youtube videos that will be of some help to you.
One important thing to remember is that your wheel sets are NOT
near the rear of the RV. They are more centered. So, you should take
that into consideration as that is the pivot point. Mostly the Commercial
Drivers are backing 53' trailers and the distance to the pivot makes it easier
the further itis away from the front end (Ball or Kingpin). Pay attention to the
fact that Commerical Drivers choise of sides to back to is the Driver's side
(aka sight side), the Passenger's side is refered to as the "Blindside" (It IS difficult
to "SEE" thru a trailer).
Hope these videos help answer some of your questions...

hankaye
So without watching the videos, let me say start to straighten out before you think you need to!! You don't really want the trailer too far out of line with the trailer.
What I mean to say, as the trailer starts to turn, start to bring the steer wheels back to center. My desire is to be able to put in any spot with one move!

So I started to watch, and caught something I don't do! I learned long ago when backing a trailer place your hand at the bottom of the wheel and push the way you want the back of the trailer to go!! Want it to go right push right, want it to go left push left! Can't remember where i read that, but it works great for me!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
So I started to watch, and caught something I don't do! I learned long ago when backing a trailer place your hand at the bottom of the wheel and push the way you want the back of the trailer to go!! Want it to go right push right, want it to go left push left! Can't remember where i read that, but it works great for me!
I had the same thought. Have been backing up trailers with that concept for 35 years (fortunately, over that time physics haven't changed! ). Hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, have shared it with my sons and others, very easy to learn and remember.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
crash

You need an endorsment to pull a 5th wheel camper
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Not in Virginia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
laidback

Comeing to your state soon.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Well most states require a endorsement to ride a motorcycle, even a big Harley or Gold Wing weigh way less than a trailer TT or 5th wheel.
With many RV truck trailer combos approaching 20,000#, and the large Class A motor home being drive by someone who passed their driving test in a Fiesta your not worried?? I think only a few states require an endorsement, and then only if the trailer weighs more than 10,000#.

While I would like to believe that all RVers are safe drivers, I have seen way too many examples the other way.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:24 AM   #9
crash

Yeah not virginia ,I have all my endorsements for my CDL license to pull haz,doubls ,tankers ect,motorcycle and so on.But I hope they dont get in on the 5th wheel thing around here just saying.................
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
EricLynnAllison

When backing up your trailer, It works better to watch your trailer's tires rather than the trailer when backing. Get the tires placed where they need to be and the trailer will be where it needs to be. I've been backing all sizes of trailers for years.
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #11
christopherglenn

When I was trining for my class A (CDL), thye tought us the trailer tires are the guage for side to side positioning, imagine a laser stuck to the side of the trailer pointing backwards, that is where the trailer is going to go if the truck is directly in front of it, if the truck is to the side, the (end of the) trailer will move sideways as well as backwards. If there are painted lines in front of the target (loading dock, etc), you want the trailer tires either on top of the lines, or right beside of them. Take a piece of chock, Go to a unused part of a parking lot, mark beside the front and rear tire on the drivers side of truck with the chock. Cut the tires to the left and back up 203 feet. Cut to the right and pull forward the same. Compare how far the front end moved sideways VS the rear end. That is a move they taught up to streighten the truck up under the front of the trailer.
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backing up, driving test, exam, parking