Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
mr.windows1

Heat pump

This is probably a stupid question but I was wondering about what I have read one these forums a few times about people using a heat pump. What is that and does that mean you do not use your furnace? Does my 2012 3750 Montana have this or is this an option and if so how do you use it and what are the benefits over your furnace? Thanks!!
2011 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
mr.windows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
f6bits

Here’s a good thread on them:
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4497

And a handy how-it-works article:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-im.../heat-pump.htm

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
KanTC

The current Montana info doesn't show the heat pump as a feature... only the 35,000 BTU furnace.

Standard features
http://www.keystone-montana.com/inde...page=standards

Options
http://www.keystone-montana.com/index.php?page=options

2012 flyer (brochure not yet available online)
http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/doc...2_FP_flyer.pdf

Hope this helps,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
mhs4771

A heat pump reverses your AC. In normal AC operation you draw the heat out of the air in your rig, when put into Heat Pump mode you draw heat out of the outside air to add additional heat inside. They DO NOT replace your furnace which you must run to put heat into the underbelly to prevent freeze up of water lines or tanks. But since heat pump loose their ability to draw heat from the cold outside air once the temps get to the low 40s to upper 30s you would have to run you furnace anyway. Another factor is your planned use. If you'll always be on a site that includes the electric it can be a good deal. Most long term sites, you pay for your electric so it becomes a numbers game, which is cheaper: Electric or Propane, at least with electric you won't run out in the middle of the coldest night.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
mikell

The heat pump on our Alpine works great down to about 28 then it automatically switches to the furnace so you never get cold. It's quiet like the AC. It go down to 13 here last night so the furnace kicked on a couple of times. All in all a greatr investment. We keep a radiator type heater in the basement set at 40 that keeps the pipes from freezing. A small fan circulates the air to under the floor area. Were fulltiming in South West Michigan
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
mr.windows1

Smile

Wow,awfully cold to be full timing in an RV can't wait for it to get warm enough here in Minnesota so I can at least bring her home from storage so I can start playin !!!
2011 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
mr.windows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
mikell

The Alpines been fine one freezup because of the lack of basement heat took care of that. This is the second winter so I'm sold but it has been a warm one 43 outside right now
Old 12-19-2012, 05:57 AM   #8
kphutch

Heat Sourcenquestion

This is our first winter full timing. My question is regarding the functions of the heat system (Coleman units on a 39' Keystone Freedom Elite). Using the MODE selector the RV Comfort.ZC digital T Stat has a choice of electric or gas for heat. When in electric heat mode, is the heat supplied by a combo of heat strips and heat pump and in gas mode strictly propane? I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to get heat using only electric. Heat pump will not be much good in some of the destinations we are heading to. We do have the 5200 BTU electric fireplace which helps, but it is not enough below mid 40's.
Regards, Hutch
kphutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #9
mikell

My selector is HP or FURN. I usually turn the HP up during the day when it's above freezing then down to 68 at night unless it's below 30 then the fireplace is on with the furnace for backup. i have an oil filled heater in the basement that keeps the area and the bedroom floor warm
Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
howard

There is also an "Auto" setting which I belive select the heat pump above 32 degrees and the furnace below 32 degrees. I've very pleased with the heat pump as it has basically eliminated my use of propane.
2006 Woodland Park
Had
2008 Montana
2005 Outback
2000 Lance + others
howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
mikell

If you leave it on HP it will automatically switch between it and furnace. It's 29 out right now and the heat pump is keeping it a nice 72. Furnace only comes on at night when it gets colder and I lower the temp to 68 till morning. Really great setup propane use is WAY down.