Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
Travler

AC Vents in 26SAB

I traded in a Flagstaff TT for my new Keystone 26SAB 5th wheel. The ceiling ac vents in the flagstaff had on/off louvers. My Keystone ceiling vent are always open. Can these be taken out and replaced with on/off vents..The reason being with the 13500 AC the bedroom doesnt get enough cold air at night. I figure if I shut off a few up front I would get more air to bedroom. Any thoughts on this issue?? Thanks
Ext cab short bed
6 liter gas..3:73
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Travler -
You might also want to check out the ductwork between the A/C and your bedroom louvre. In some cases, members have found that the ductwork was kinked, had some kind of obstruction in it, or was not connected properly to the A/C outlet - the latter being the culprit in many cases. Loose or faulty connections resulted in large openings allowing much of the cold air to escape into the ceiling
There are a number of threads/posts already on the forum about this issue and you can use the forum search feature to find out more information about what others have done to help solve this problem.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Ayotte

If you close the main vent off on the airconditioner I think you will get more air through the vents.
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Travler

Yea we use the main vent to dump cold air in main part. but when closed not enough is coming to bedroom.. there is some ..but not enough in hot weather..I do wished I got a 15500 ac.. Just wondering if the on/off vent are avaliable from dealer or after market..
Ext cab short bed
6 liter gas..3:73
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Bob Landry

If you attempt to close anything other than the main diverters at the A/C, you will most likely create an air flow restriction which will cause icing.

Pull the inside cover on the ac and check for gaps where the plenum wasn't taped correctly, and retape any gaps. Make sure that you don't have some duct tape that has pulled loose and is blocking the air flow. Do the same with the ceiling registers and make sure you are not just pumping cold air into the ceiling space.

Finally pull the registers at the end of the ducts and block off the duct so that the air is forced out of the register and does not go to the end of the duct where it will do no good. The theory is that the air will reach the end of the duct and the back pressure will force it out of the register, but it's not going to happen. You can use anything to do this, styrofoam, cardboard, duct tape, whatever, just force the air out as soon as it hits the end register. If all of this doesn't help, then you are looking at an upgrade. Adding a second AC would mean upgrading to a 50A system which will end up being pretty pricey, especially if yo have to have it done.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
If you attempt to close anything other than the main diverters at the A/C, you will most likely create an air flow restriction which will cause icing.

Pull the inside cover on the ac and check for gaps where the plenum wasn't taped correctly, and retape any gaps. Make sure that you don't have some duct tape that has pulled loose and is blocking the air flow. Do the same with the ceiling registers and make sure you are not just pumping cold air into the ceiling space.

Finally pull the registers at the end of the ducts and block off the duct so that the air is forced out of the register and does not go to the end of the duct where it will do no good. The theory is that the air will reach the end of the duct and the back pressure will force it out of the register, but it's not going to happen. You can use anything to do this, styrofoam, cardboard, duct tape, whatever, just force the air out as soon as it hits the end register. If all of this doesn't help, then you are looking at an upgrade. Adding a second AC would mean upgrading to a 50A system which will end up being pretty pricey, especially if yo have to have it done.
I did everything Bob mentioned AND added 4 more vents to our ductwork. Look at your ducting and you'll likely find as Bob mentions that it goes further than the last vent. You can add a vent near the end, and likely along the ductwork. In our case I was able to add an additional vent in the Bedroom, one in the bathroom, and two in the living area. I also replaced the existing vents with "aireport" vents which will screw and unscrew to control airflow and force the air in a 360 degree lateral flow rather than straight down. Now I am able to cool the bedroom below the Living are if needed and with these addtions it will keep the trailer cooled down in near 100 degree weather. Prior to sealing everything up and adding vents, 90 was about the max outside temp I could keep the trailer comfortable in.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #7
Ayotte

If we have the main vent closed and the 2 vents closest to the bedroom blowing that way it seem to keep the front of the camper cool. Bathroom is very cool. We do have a fair amount of air coming out of the bedroom vent. Maybe yours is obstructed with something.
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote