Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
mr.windows1

Winterizing

Could anyone offer advice or suggestions we have a 2012 Montana 3750 FL on a seasonal site and during shutting it down for the winter and trying to use the winterizing system I could not get the pump to draw anti freeze from the bottle I turned the water heater bypass and also the winterizing lever so it should draw from that rather than the fresh water tank. I also took the panel off to access the water pump to actually prime the pump to the point where it built pressure to stop but once The faucet was turned on and the pump ran again it would not draw in antifreeze,should I assume the pump is bad because I don't want to pull it to the dealership if I am doing something wrong but this is suppose to be a real easy system to use any suggestion would be very helpful, thanks,
2011 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
mr.windows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

mr.windows1
I assume that you disconnected the FW tank inlet hose from the pump and then connected a new hose from the container of antifreeze? You need to bypass your FW tank. Not sure what kind of pump you have, but many Keystone RV pumps have quick disconnect for both the outlet and inlet sides of the pump. The FW tank line will come up through the floor to the pump. This is the line/hose that you need to disconnect.
You may have connected the RV antifreeze to the outlet side. ???
Note - Your winterizing system may be different from mine as I don't have a winterizing lever so my comment may be irrelevant for your situation.
Have you not used your water pump prior to this?
Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
mr.windows1

I have the lever for winterizing that bypasses the FW tank so you just screw your short hose into the winterize hose port and flip the lever to draw from the bottle it did not suck the anti freeze after that I did take the back panel off to access the pump and did directly pull the quick connect hose off the inlet side and went direct into that and still no suction and no we have not used the pump on this prior to now cause we took delivery in December and it was already winterized and it has been on a seasonal site since we first used it on may 1stand we have always used the water from the park so this was the first time for a need to use the pump, I just wanted to make sure I covered all the bases so if I have to drag it to the dealer I don't make a fool out of myself and waste everyone's time if I did something wrong
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
Old 09-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Even though they claim that the pumps are "self priming" they sometimes need a little fluid before they will create a suction. Can you see any liquid coming from the outlet side of the pump. You can try to slowly pour a little water into the inlet hose and holding the hose high enough that the water runs into the pump. If the impeller is turning it will create suction when primed. Hope this helps, Hank ....... I said to use water because it may get messy and the pink stuff stains.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
mr.windows1

I actually did that twice and it would still not draw I knew that from my old TT that if you did not use them much I had to prime the pump from time to time but this one would not suck any fluid so I can only assume that the pump is defective
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
Old 09-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
parkgirl

mr.windows1, we have a new seasonal trailer as well and so have been on city water all summer not using the pump ever. We winterized this weekend and used the pump for the antifreeze with no problem. We don't have a winterizing lever and had to install our own hose in the inlet port but as soon as we turned on the pump it started sucking up the antifreeze immediately no problem. Um, silly question but you did switch the pump on, right?
parkgirl
parkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

mr.windows1 -
If you do test the pump and find it to be defective, you can always "blow out" your lines rather than fill them with RV antifreeze. Some members use this method to winterize.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Bruce Jackson

I have had a trailer for about 25 years. I have always blow the
water lines out with an air compressor. Just like you do for underground sprinklers. Put pink stuff in the drains. Never had
any problems. Remove the Battery and call it done.

2011 Montana 3150Rl
2003 Dodge 3500 Dually 5.9 Cummins HO
5TH Wheel Air Hitch
Bruce Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
Outbackmel

Friendly Advice from experience

I use both air and anti freeze. No problems. HOWEVER, 2 seasons past, I failed to get a very small amount of water from the point of contact from the supply source to the toilet. Line expanded and cracked. When I turned the water on, glad DW was inside to scream "shut the water off". Minimal water intrusion.

Just be cautious and make sure all water is purged from the lines 100%.

Also, ensure you put some pink stuff in those drains and fresh water tanks so you can see it in any valve outlets hanging exposed all winter. Moisture can build in them and expand....BAM!

Live by the philosophy: if it can freeze and break, there is a HIGH PROBABILITY it will. (Unless properly treated).
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:55 AM   #10
mikell

I have always used a compressor and just kept walking from outlet to outlet opening and closing how ever many rounds it takes till it's dry everywhere. Then leave them open. Pink stuff in the drains a few sunny days to finish the job
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #11
SAABDOCTOR

MR WINDOWS I have the same unit. check the lever on the wintering valve mine was stripped so yes the lever moved but the valve did not swapped the lver from the city water valve to get r done! good luck if all ealse fails blowing out the lines as others have said works just fine
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
mr.windows1

I tried all that and even pulled the panel and went directly into the pump inlet and it would still not suck fluid I just wanted to make sure there was nothing I missed cause my warranty is up in December and I would rather they paid for it than me. I blew all the lines out so I'm not worried about that it was just a matter of principal of having the dealer fix it and not me, I suppose I could have pulled the pump and brought that to them but that is what the warranty is for thanks everyone for the input but it sounds like I have tried everything so I can only assume it is a defective pump,time will tell I have an appointment on Saturday .
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
Old 10-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
mr.windows1

Update got the trailer back from dealership to tell me that there was nothing wrong with the pump, they told me the problem was that I needed to use the coil hose that comes with the outside shower and screw that into the winterize port and the other end in the bottle of antifreeze what the heck is the difference in what hose you use so in other words I basically pulled it off my seasonal site and home for nothing and the worst part is I called them first to ask them if there was something I need to do different and they offered no advice so if anyone else has this problem try the coil hose that comes with the camper, and lastly I found nothing in the manual that states to use that hose!
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #14
Festus2
Site Team

I don't know what kind of end you have on your outside shower coiled hose, but mine is a quick disconnect - not the usual threaded variety.
Your dealer telling you to use the coiled hose that came with trailer as opposed to a regular one, makes no sense to me. I've never heard of that one before!
I don't have a winterizing port on our Cougar and instead use the intake side of the pump for one end (with a special push-in fitting) of a 3 ft regular hose and the other end goes into the container of pink stuff. No coiled hose needed.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
mr.windows1

Mine is the quick connect kind also on the coil hose you disconnect it from outside shower and put that end in the rv antifreeze bottle and the other end that has the male threads that you would put a spray nozzle on you screw into winterize port and turn pump on. I couldn't believe it either so I actually tried it when I got home and it worked fine! The only thing I can come up with is the inside diameter of that hose is small and maybe the larger hose ID that I was trying to use didn't have enough back pressure or something it just makes me mad I hauled it all the way home when perhaps he could of got out of his chair and actually asked a service guy about this but either way it still don't make much sense!
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider