Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
josuppy

Looking to be a new 5er owner.

I am looking to become a new RV owner and I am looking at montana high country 338DB. I am wondering if I should got for the F-450 to pull it as I will also be in the market to buy a new truck. I know I will get mixed opions but I will take any advice given. Thanks.
josuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
azlee56

wow, a 450! Just me the new kid on the block, I have seen most of them say the bigger the better to control it and if you want to up grade then you don't have to look for a new truck too (we did that).

They are good here discussing the weight and safety, but if you need a reason to do your dream..........do for safety (but not gas mileage)!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
jim&joan

From Keystone's website, the 338DB weighs 9875 lbs with a carrying capacity of 2250 lbs and a hitch weight of 1725 lbs. You don't need a 450 for this weight. A 350/3500 dually is more than enough truck for this and still provides you with upgrade capabilities should you decide you want more 5'er.
jim&joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
Dwighop

I've got this trailer behind my 250 right now. I haven't been to the scales but I'm sure I'm right at payload limits. A 450 would certainly be plenty of machine to move this rig and more.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #5
josuppy

Ok so if I were to want something bigger which my thinking is buy bigger now seeing as I have kids and down grade later if need be. What is a good model that is bigger?
Old 08-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

HI Let the adventure begin. I like azlee's post. do it for safty not for gas milage. that f450 is more than you need. however oneday you'll walk into a dealer, walk out and say look what i bought honey!!!! and the good news is you'll have the right truck ASK ME HOW I KNOW I LOVE MY WIFE!!!!"
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #7
KanTC

The gross weight of the 338DB is 12,125 lbs, which would be well-within the F-350 capacities.
IMHO a DRW would be a good idea though, for added stability, while towing a 37ft long 5th wheel.
The DRW payload allows you plenty of leeway for extra adult passengers while towing (if ever needed),
and also for numerous 5th wheel choices in the future.

An F-450??... well... that's a lot of truck, and definitely not necessary for the 338DB, but...
only you can decide if it's worth the added expense and/or if you might upgrade to a 'much' heavier
trailer in just a few years.

Good luck with your decision.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
josuppy

The kids are now saying they want us to get a toy hauler. Looking at the toy haulers, I like the lay out of the Raptor 4014LEV. Any one have thoughts on the toy haulers?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by josuppy View Post
The kids are now saying they want us to get a toy hauler. Looking at the toy haulers, I like the lay out of the Raptor 4014LEV. Any one have thoughts on the toy haulers?
Kids, MINE INCLUDED, have a way of spending Dad's money with little regard to how it is invested. My question to you would be: Do you have a need for, or a lifestyle that would suggest a toy hauler?

From a practical standpoint, many toyhaulers have very heavy tongue weights or pin weights unless the garage is "loaded" and there are some convenntional trailer toyhaulers that have been a real headache for the owner: increased sway, unsafe towing, problems with modifications to make it tow correctly.... Some of these are documented on this forum.

If your family is inclined to enjoy dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, motorcycles, and you tow them to areas to use them now, or if you're contemplatiing starting that and are pretty sure you'll continue to enjoy it, then a toy hauler may be a good option. If, however, your family doesn't do these things and your kids are wanting you to "get started" it may not be a good economic move. While toy haulers are nice and offer adaptability for many owners, there are a lot of alternative floorplans for those who don't necessarily need a garage.

I remember the swimming pool salesman's words: the first summer, you cant keep the kids out of the water, the whole neighborhood will be in your back yard, the second summer, you and the wife will be able to get some time alone when the kids are out with their friends, the third summer, the pool will be exclusively yours and the fourth summer, you'll still be dumping chlorine in it every day even though nobody peed in it all week..... and the fifth summer, you'll be looking for a contractor to fill it in.... That could also be said about toy haulers if your family doesn't get the "spirit" or if the kids are going to be grown and gone in a couple of years......

Just a thought about "trying a new hobby"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by josuppy View Post
It depends on your interests and life styles. My reasons for the 4014LEV were that I have a Blue and Gold McCaw and his cage fits back there as well as a washer/dryer AND my trike or Smart car. Were it not for the bird I'd have looked at one with a 12' garage instead. Most of these units I think were sold to guys who worked in oil fields or installing wind farms and they liked the bigger garage for equiptment and tools. I think that's also the reason they went to the slanted bed too. Uusally there is only one person living in them and they wanted more room to move around in the bedroom. Guys who work in oil fields tend to be on the larger size. But for a couple there is very little room for the person who sleeps on that narrow side to get in and out of it. So I'd suggest looking for an earlier model 2012 or 2011. There are still quite a few new ones of both
on the market. In mid 2012 they changed to the slanted bed so Keystone knows where their main market for this model is. And BTW, you can get a better price on the earlier version of them too.
Bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
rconkin

Just something else to think about while looking. What about a bunkhouse? How old are the kids? We have two grandkids, 6 & 8, that camp with us all the time and a son, 22, that is still at home that goes sometimes. We bought the Mountaineerr 346LBQ in May and absolutely love it. I pull it with a 3500 dually comfortably. Enjoy looking at all the various 5ers that are out there, to me that's 1/2 the fun.

16 KZ Durango 2500 D349BHQ
rconkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
SAABDOCTOR

Lots of good advice here.Dad your writting the check! how old are your kids? will they be with you all the time. The people across from us bought a camper with a bunk room for the kids in 6 years they used 3 times. they now have one that fits their life style. i don't know your situstion. but think it through first jrtjh gave you some excelent thoughts good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
rconkin

I've already got plans for our bunkroom when the kids quit going. I probably won't get to do it then since there will be other grandkids going then, but, I'm turning it into a den. We have a sleeper sofa in the slide that will come out and be replaced with two recliners then it will be MY ROOM!

16 KZ Durango 2500 D349BHQ
rconkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconkin View Post
I've already got plans for our bunkroom when the kids quit going. I probably won't get to do it then since there will be other grandkids going then, but, I'm turning it into a den. We have a sleeper sofa in the slide that will come out and be replaced with two recliners then it will be MY ROOM!
ROFLMAO That is, until DW decides she needs more room for crafting supplies or a place to leave her paint supplies without having to pick them up before supper.... or ..... <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #15
dave-g

I pull a similar sized trailer with a 2011 f250 gas- I'm near max but under. The 250-350 is not much different in capacity till you get to a dually. Then you see a nice jump in payload.

The 450 would open up 99% of the trailers on the lot. And if you have any thoughts of a toy hauler- ( and money is not and issue) get the 450. Toy haulers get very heavy quick.

I run my 250 as my personal car, and did not want a dually for around town. So I picked a trailer/truck combo that I happy with. But if you are going to buy the truck 1st bigger is better.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:05 AM   #16
Donegal Bill

Go for it...

I have the 2010 F350 and love it..Only reason I didn't get the 450 ..The dealer didn't have it on his lot. The 350 DRW pulls like a dream, and I'm pulling the 395LEV with a max weight of 18K lbs..Right there at the max..I bought it in March and already have about 10K miles on the 5er. Just hit 57K miles on truck without a hitch. Climbed some of Colorado's big peaks too (Wolf Creek Pass) outside Dorango. 35 or 40 max speed up the grade, but 65-70 rest of time. 6.8 - 9.5 mpg..not so bad..it all depends on the hills..
I really love the newer ford superdutys..wait for the 2013 platinum to come out..Good Luck
2012 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Crew
Donegal Bill is offline   Reply With Quote