Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
Lack of HP

tire seperation

Had the rubber come off the tire on the drivers side of my Cougar 327res rear tandom and totally tear the h--l out of my unit. Was running about 65 on interstate, heard a bang and saw sheet metal flying no warning. Less than 5000 on the tires. Tomax brand. Took out propane lines, slide floor, even damage the range, and water heater. Brake wiring. Estimate $6000. +. Insurance taking care of everything except deductable and the tire. Putting on new Goodyear Marathons. Anyone heard anything about them. Hope good.

If you have Tomax you may want to watch them. Insurance adjuster said they had several claims on this tire. Rubber just comes off, tire never did go flat. Made in China.

Hope to get it back on road this next week. Planning three week trip to Bristol, Atlanta and Charlotte for some racing. HP
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
Handysam

Sorry to here about your troubles. Same thing happened to us about a month ago, although no camper damage, we were more fortunate than you. Ours just blew out going about 60 mph. coming home from a weekend trip. We elected to go with the m8008 Maxxis tires, and changed them all. We only had about 1500 miles on the tow max tires, and they were less than 2 years old. First trip out on the Maxxis I could feel the difference, they seemed to handle and ride better. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 07-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
DocData757

First, what size tires did you have?

Next, the GoodYear Marathons get a LOT of bad press. I would agree with the suggested Maxxis. Its very rare to hear bad things about them.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Graham

goodyear marathons

I had them on an older trailer of mine, no problems
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
therink

Go with Maxxis Load Range E. I do not recommend Marathons. They are worse than Towmax IMO. Sorry to hear of your damage. I was fortunate to have dumped my 3 year old Towmax D's 2 weeks ago before I had a blowout. My tires were fine with about 5k on them. I just did not trust them. Just returned from a 600 mile trip and the Maxxi's did well. I'm glad I got them. Do yourself a favor and don't settle for Marathon tires, even if the tire shop says they sell tons of them.
Maxxis are not a commonly stocked tire. Pep Boys ordered mine and had them in one day.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
chuck&gail

GY Marathons WERE great tires, before the Chinese started making them. JMHO.

I'd get Maxxis if it was me.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
mhs4771

The Marathons are nick named "China Bombs" on the Montana Forum. They're fine for small lite weight utility trailer or even a small TT, but not on anything medium to heavy weight. Other options for tires are good "E" rated LT tires.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
smiller

As noted above the Marathons have an even worse reputation than the Towmax, I'd definitely avoid them. For an E-range ST tire the Maxxis M8008 seems to be the only worthwhile product on the market right now, don't think I've ever seen a report of a blowout.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:43 AM   #9
Quiroule

Is-there any problems with using LT pickup truck tires and would it cost more?

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:33 AM   #10
outbackmac

tow-max

i lost a tire (tow-max) this weekend on my way to ky horsepark. Ive been lo. l ooking for duravis r250 here at home but no one could get them. so as luck would have it i found a tire dealer in frankfort ky that came to the campground and installed 5 new r250 for 100$ plus tires. maybe things happen for a reason. no damage
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
Lack of HP

tire issue

Thanks for all the great feedback. You all never let me down. I cancelled the goodyear marathons. Ordered the Maxxis today. They should be putting them on as I am writting this. Dealer said he could not get the GY's anyway as there is a hold on them for some reason. Must be a issue.

again, thanks to all of you. Watch those Tomax Tires, they will get you if you are not on top of them. HP
Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
Jabber2Jake

What size Tomax tires?

What is the weight of your trailer? What is the tire size? What pressure do you keep your tires? We have Tomax also, on 16 inch rims. Our trailer is 10K loaded. We keep the tires at 80psi. Never had a problem. I think they will blow if on 15 inch rims, overweight, under inflated. We have had them for over 3 years, no problems.
Jabber2Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #13
Lack of HP

tire seperation

loaded weight around 12k. on 16" tires. Hope you continue to have great luck. Keep a eye on them for out of round and see if you see any viberations starting. I also watched pressure at 80psi. Had nitrogen in them. HP