Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
turbopilot51

RE or RL

The wife and I are starting the process of looking to move from a tt to a fiver. The floor plans we like so far are the rear entertainment(preferred) or the real living. I know there are lots of models in the Keystone lineup that include these. The wife really likes the Alpine 3500RE, but I am open to other possibilities. What are the advantages to and disadvantages to each floor plan? The side bath is a must to me.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I think you will find that floorplans are almost entirely a matter of personal preference - there are as many likes and dislikes as there are plans. As a result, what is an advantage for one may be a disadvantage for another.
As you have probably found out, preferences vary even between husband and wife; and, like most differences of opinion, can often be settled by comprimise. If it happens that both of you really like a certain floorplan, then that is what I would go with.
Another factor to consider is the number of people that will be in your unit. Are you a camping couple without children? But remember, the unit is for you or for you and your family.
What works for us may not work for you.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
mikell

We like the rl for the view bt were fulltimers and like to see whats going on
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

At the time we were shopping for our's I don't recall seeing any REs but we really liked the RLs. Then when we saw that one of the chairs had to be flipped up on top of the couch in order to bring in the slide we went with the RK and it has fit our needs perfectly. I hope they have remedied that flaw in the RL design since. If you both agree on the floor-plan ... that's a match made in heaven. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
mobile42

RE's fits our needs

The DW and I enjoy the rear entertainment because when one of us are cooking, we can both see the TV without having to twist our necks to see what's showing.
4000 Watt Champion Generator

2007 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS TT
2005 Flagstaff Forest River TT
mobile42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:11 AM   #6
pjhansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
At the time we were shopping for our's I don't recall seeing any REs but we really liked the RLs. Then when we saw that one of the chairs had to be flipped up on top of the couch in order to bring in the slide we went with the RK and it has fit our needs perfectly. I hope they have remedied that flaw in the RL design since. If you both agree on the floor-plan ... that's a match made in heaven. JM2¢, Hank
Fortunately we both wanted and love the RL design.....and we don't have to put the chairs on the couch to close the slide. That definately would've been an issue.
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhansman View Post
Fortunately we both wanted and love the RL design.....and we don't have to put the chairs on the couch to close the slide. That definately would've been an issue.
I'm glad to hear that they have improved the design, Maybe one of the designers actually camped in one.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
msp2jxr

We have the Cougar 326MKS with a large back window... We backed it up to a large wooded gully and turned our chairs around so we could have the view out the large back window. It was beautiful. We also prefer having the couch directly across from the TV without having to turn. Just giving you some things to think about because a floor plan is really a personal thing. Jay and Lori
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
Wayne

Re rl

We recently purchased a Cougar High Country 299RK and were originally looking at RE and RL. We loved the RE but switched when DW discovered some RE's have no pantry or linen closet. We previously had a Cougar RL and the more we looked at the RK, the more we liked it. It really comes down to what best meets your personality & needs.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp2jxr View Post
We have the Cougar 326MKS with a large back window... We backed it up to a large wooded gully and turned our chairs around so we could have the view out the large back window. It was beautiful. We also prefer having the couch directly across from the TV without having to turn. Just giving you some things to think about because a floor plan is really a personal thing. Jay and Lori
We do the same thing at Tourist Park in Munising Michigan. There are a number of sites in their campground that back right onto Lake Superior. It's so awsome to wake up before the sun comes up and perk a pot of coffee, sit in the chairs looking out that big back window and watch the sun come up over the lake, waves turning golden, then orange, then bright white as they shuffle to shore right behind the camper....

It's hard not to realize just how much work was put into those 6 days before He rested on Sunday.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
hankaye

turbopilot51, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot51 View Post
The wife and I are starting the process of looking to move from a tt to a fiver. The floor plans we like so far are the rear entertainment(preferred) or the real living. I know there are lots of models in the Keystone lineup that include these. The wife really likes the Alpine 3500RE, but I am open to other possibilities. What are the advantages to and disadvantages to each floor plan? The side bath is a must to me.
As you started this query with the words "The wife" (should have been capitalized), you need only go that far. As far as the day to day doin's go SHE will be much more in tune and in touch (literialy), with whatever you two decied on (meaning that her "feelings " about what is most comfortable for HER), Never met a woman that didn't sit in a car (or pick-up), to see if it "felt right" before buyin' one... That stuff is important (to them),

Great Gran Pap, used to say; "If the cook ain't happy NO one IS!"

Simply placed here for your consideration.... your mileage may vary...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:26 AM   #12
mikell

Our las unit had huge back windows nearly floor to celing. We took an put the kitchen table there and just loved it.we had to put pieces of 2x4 under the couch when it was pulled out because it was on the slide but it was worth having the view at the kitchen table
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #13
Bob Landry

I went with the RL on my Outback simply because I enjoy the view out of the back window. Mine is a 2010 and I do have to flip one of the chairs up on the couch to close the slide, but that wasn't a deal breaker since it doesn't happen that much.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
ktmracer

The RL and RE both offer great views out the rear windows and a nice living area. It's really a matter of personal preference and layouts which one is best for you.

We went for RE with dual rear slides on our Outback, we liked the big living area, enough room around the sofa/airbed for our Daughter and SIL to also have room for our grandson in a crib and still walk around. The RL models we were interested in didn't offer as much room. Also we found that with the slides in we could easily get to everything we wanted for a lunch/break stop. (Fridge, Bath, Bedroom, Kitchen, Microwave, table). The RL models we were interested in didn't offer this level of accesibility.

But in the end, it's really an individual preference and what's important to you.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
Bob Landry

It really does come down to personal preference. We went with the RL simply because we didn't want our view out the rear window obstructed with the television and neither of us wanted to have to twist our neck to watch TV. The space afforded by the double slide may be a consideration for some, but with just me and DW, space really wasn't an issue.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
Txoutback

We have the RL as well but rather than flipping the chair onto the couch we slide it to where it is facing the back door and strap it to the other chair. We keep a piece of carpet under it so not to mar the floor. We chose ours for the slide out bedroom with the large front wardrobe and dresser. The big back window is nice but it was the bedroom and access to everything that sold us.

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #17
msp2jxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We do the same thing at Tourist Park in Munising Michigan. There are a number of sites in their campground that back right onto Lake Superior. It's so awsome to wake up before the sun comes up and perk a pot of coffee, sit in the chairs looking out that big back window and watch the sun come up over the lake, waves turning golden, then orange, then bright white as they shuffle to shore right behind the camper....

It's hard not to realize just how much work was put into those 6 days before He rested on Sunday.....
Sounds like you and I are on the same wave length....
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #18
Wcamper12

My wife and I have a rl now but last unit was an re. I preferred the rl 5ver now for the large view out the back. Her only complaint is not being able to see the tv while cooking. We only have to slide the chairs back to close the slides (no stacking!).
Wcamper12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:05 AM   #19
Trixie47

Avalanche 330RE

We have the RE and love it....only because I like the seperation of the kitchen and living area. Big rear window to see outside if wanted. To me it was important to have a bathroom door open up to the bedroom and also to the hallway. It is a personal preference for everyone !!! Just get out there and enjoy the family and this great country !!
4x4 Turbo Diesel DRW
Husky Brake Controller

Trixie47 is offline   Reply With Quote