Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
campingman

Cougar 292RKS Landing Gear - Need help to identify gears

We have a 2010 Keystone Cougar 292RKS. The lead leg landing gear has stopped working and we've removed the leg to discover the 16 teeth beveled gear needs to be replaced. The landing gear, motor etc have nothing on them to identify the manufacturer. I've contacted Atwood, they say it's Venture, but no Venture don't think it's theirs. I know you can buy replacement kits, but the problem is that all of them I have seen so far have a center hole diameter of 1/2" and mine is bigger (see photos).

This is driving me crazy.. Can anyone help??

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bevel gear 1.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1392   Click image for larger version

Name:	bevel gear 2.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1393   Click image for larger version

Name:	bevel gear 3.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1394   Click image for larger version

Name:	bevel gear 4.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	1395  
campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
hankaye

campingman, Howdy;

Have ya talked to Lippert???

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
campingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
campingman, Howdy;

Have ya talked to Lippert???

hankaye
Hi Hank, I was able to contact Keystone and they confirmed that the landing gear was supplied by Lippert. Spent the morning on the phone with Lippert and eventually spoke to a technician. He told me the gear we have was supplied to them by a company called Pacific Rim International and that they do not stock replacement gears for this type of leg. He told me I would need to order a complete replacement lead leg from Lippert for $168. I have also tried contacting Pacific Rim directly, but it looks like they dont carry this type of replacement. Very frustrating.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #4
jsmith948

Campingman,

Curious as to how the gears were damaged. Can you share with us your thoughts on how we can prevent this damage?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #5
campingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Campingman,

Curious as to how the gears were damaged. Can you share with us your thoughts on how we can prevent this damage?
From what I've read this is quite common and happens when you retract the landing gear to far up (which is what happened in our case). Unfortunately there's no mechanism to cut the engine off or disengage when you go too far up.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingman View Post
We have a 2010 Keystone Cougar 292RKS. The lead leg landing gear has stopped working and we've removed the leg to discover the 16 teeth beveled gear needs to be replaced. The landing gear, motor etc have nothing on them to identify the manufacturer. I've contacted Atwood, they say it's Venture, but no Venture don't think it's theirs. I know you can buy replacement kits, but the problem is that all of them I have seen so far have a center hole diameter of 1/2" and mine is bigger (see photos).

This is driving me crazy.. Can anyone help??

Thanks!
It is my understanding that the follower leg gear set has a different center hole diameter than the leader leg gear set. If that is true, then you may just be looking at specs on the wrong gear set.

Check here, see if maybe these gear sets will work. if not, call them, they may know more about repairing your gear than Lippert or Keystone. After all, they only sell them or install them. Aftermarket folks tend to know more about repairing them (unfortunately) Do some snooping around on this website, you'll find both follower and leader gearset replacements as well as a new leader gearbox.

Anyway, Check this link:

http://www.myrvpartsplacestore.com/F...ers_p_118.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
jsmith948

Quote:
From what I've read this is quite common and happens when you retract the landing gear to far up (which is what happened in our case). Unfortunately there's no mechanism to cut the engine off or disengage when you go too far up.
Thanks for the response - we have, on one or too occasions, retracted the legs until we heard the ratcheting sound. I think we will paint a mark or put some reflective tape around the legs to let us know when to stop!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
smiller

Quote:
Unfortunately there's no mechanism to cut the engine off or disengage when you go too far up.
There is a mechanism to prevent over-retraction (the clicking sound), but it works only for the leg with the motor drive unit. If the slave leg isn't adjusted properly it can bind before the motor-driven leg stops... DAMHIK. Luckily in my case the gears bound up but didn't strip. It was a very messy job freeing everything and then I adjusted the relationship between the two legs properly to prevent a recurrence, but even so I still stop retracting before the clicking sound now, just in case. I use a painted guide on the landing gear leg to know when to stop.

All could be prevented if the thing was just set up properly at the factory, be we all know that's too much to ask.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote