Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
CarKath

Alpine 3495FL

Has anybody here been inside one? My DW has decided we need one.

With no local stock it is hard to get a real sense of the unit.

I am more concerned about mechanics of it than anything. Floor plan I know.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
mikell

Only had a quick walk through but seemed nice depending where you normally camp.

http://www.holmanrv.com/inventory/18...ne-3495FL.aspx
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
geo

CarKath -

My DW and I saw one at the Spring RV Show in Dallas. Yes, it is nice. Yes, it's unusual. The rear master bedroom - the slide does extend far and the bed is at an angle. Doesn't seem to have as much storage and closet space. The open kitchen to front living area is nice. But all in all, I think we like our floor plan. Besides, we need to get some use out of my mods!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
DocData757

If you can find another camper with the front living room area, go take a look at it and see how you feel. I haven't seen this model but have seen the Montana with a very simlar layout. I didn't like it because of what I call the 'shoe box' feel I get from the low ceiling in the living area. I don't mind the low ceiling in the bedroom when that is in the front of the camper because I don't spend much the there (awake at least). I do like the higher headroom in the living room when it is in the back and that is one of the more important reasons I went with a 5vr in the first place.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Poppy's 5th Wheel

I personally like the idea of the front living room. It brings a whole "open" or "great room" feeling to an RV. I'm more surprised that you tow your current unit with a 3/4 ton, SRW truck! I can't imagine over 39 feet and over 2,200 lbs of pin weight. I know I see it often but it still amazes me. Have you had the 3450RL long? Please don't take my question wrong, I'm just sincerely interested.
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
mhs4771

Front Living Rooms seem to be a Love/Hate situation. Folks either just Love it, or just plain Hate it. We looked at the Montana and Redwood FL and although slightly different, we didn't like either one. There's no ceiling fan in the Living Room of an FL and a lot of folks complain of trouble keeping that area cool during the heat of the day, partly because of the low ceiling. To each their own, be we sticking with a rear living room.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
I personally like the idea of the front living room. It brings a whole "open" or "great room" feeling to an RV. I'm more surprised that you tow your current unit with a 3/4 ton, SRW truck! I can't imagine over 39 feet and over 2,200 lbs of pin weight. I know I see it often but it still amazes me. Have you had the 3450RL long? Please don't take my question wrong, I'm just sincerely interested.
2800 (typical SRW truck empty rear axle weight)
2200 (Add stated pin weight)
-------
5000 lbs total.

Easily within the rough 6400 capacity (typical GAWR/and 2 load range E tires)

Of course those are estimates, but you can see that even if either is severely under estimated, there's plenty of fudge.

Now - the driver has to be up to the task too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Front Living Rooms seem to be a Love/Hate situation. Folks either just Love it, or just plain Hate it. We looked at the Montana and Redwood FL and although slightly different, we didn't like either one. There's no ceiling fan in the Living Room of an FL and a lot of folks complain of trouble keeping that area cool during the heat of the day, partly because of the low ceiling. To each their own, be we sticking with a rear living room.
I'm like you. We found 2 or three floor plans. They were intriguing, but I think I'd pass.

We did find some that we're a defininate NO. And some that were a maybe. I just don't think I could get past the claustrophobic low ceiling.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
CarKath

Thanks everybody for the insite into front living room units. My salesman told me they are a love hate thing. Some love'm most hate'm. My wife likes the layout. What can I say from there. I am not a fuzzy person on layout, I lean towards the mechanical stuff. As in where are the controls inside the unit. Thats me.

I was asked how I pull such a unit with the truck I have. I must say extremely well. Beside experience, the truck has a few toys that make it easy to pull.

I will add, I am shopping for a DRW as we speak. Weight is an issue when snowbirding. My lovely wife likes the front closet for loading, and load she does.

To keep this breif and maybe help others. I am overweight on my trucks GCVW of 10000lbs.

Front axle= 4540lb
Rear axle =5740lb
Trailer axles= 10480lb
Total= 20760lb

All is good. Axle weights all good, total gross all good. But truck is over 10000lb it is rated for and on door post. So upgrade coming.

Unless I can convince wife to leave the cats at home, then I am sure we should be fine.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Good luck on your truck search. It's always fun looking.

Just not fun paying.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
CarKath

I have pulled the trigger and brought new truck home today.(updated signature to reflect new truck) Looks like no new trailers in the near future. The dollars just don't make sense.

Thank you all again for your input.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #11
snowhawk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
We have the Montana 3750 FL front living room and love it. With 1 AC it was tough to cool the front area when it was 95 plus. With two ACs problem solved as we can cool the rig to 70 when it is 100 out. We haven't missed a ceiling fan in the living room because we can put it on in the dining area it turns the air well.

We really like the condo feeling with separate rooms and plenty of space to entertain. On a regular basis we have 10 to 15 people inside to entertain and we have much more room then we had in the rear living room. As said in the post, to each their own. My perspective on this floor plan is based on personal experience. We have owned a rear living room fiver and after owning the front living room, we could never go back to the rear living room. Again, personal preference.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote