Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
Willowlynn

Question Looking for Help as the non camping wife...

We have a 2010 Dodge 2500 4 x 4 cummins diesel as the wife I hate camping but have agreed to it if we can find a 5th wheel toy hauler that will hold our 4 seater can am (12 ft 6 in), has a decent kitchen with some counter space for me to cook and the shower/sink is not in the master bedroom. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Willowlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:59 AM   #2
notanlines

"as the wife I hate camping" This whole paragraph is wrong in just so many ways. As a husband of 46 years I would never ask my wife to go along with investing over 100K in an RV and TV to indulge in an activity that she "hates." My mind just spins at the thought of spending a week with you, boondocking, with an almost permanent frown. Tow your toy with the usual trailer, camp at the closest Hilton, and put that smile back on your face.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:38 AM   #3
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
"as the wife I hate camping" This whole paragraph is wrong in just so many ways. As a husband of 46 years I would never ask my wife to go along with investing over 100K in an RV and TV to indulge in an activity that she "hates." My mind just spins at the thought of spending a week with you, boondocking, with an almost permanent frown. Tow your toy with the usual trailer, camp at the closest Hilton, and put that smile back on your face.
I certainly agree with Jim. This sounds like a recipe for disaster - or, at the very least, discord. Could be that the OP "hates camping" but has never camped with all of the conveniences of an RV. I applaud her willingness to try it, but, that's a very large expenditure. Rent a newer RV and try it out first.
Good luck!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:12 AM   #4
Terry W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
I certainly agree with Jim. This sounds like a recipe for disaster - or, at the very least, discord. Could be that the OP "hates camping" but has never camped with all of the conveniences of an RV. I applaud her willingness to try it, but, that's a very large expenditure. Rent a newer RV and try it out first.
Good luck!
I would suggest do a search find a dealer the has rental units. Sure it won't be a toy hauler but try Camping a time or two to see how you like before you spend that much on a unit and lawyers fees.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:29 AM   #5
Desert185

Besides the conflict of hating camping, finding a toy hauler that will accomodate that long Can Am will require a truck with more capacity than your 2500. Those are big issues of compromise and expense to overcome.

Having to do what you hate doing is a biggie.

-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:26 AM   #6
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W. View Post
I would suggest do a search find a dealer the has rental units. Sure it won't be a toy hauler but try Camping a time or two to see how you like before you spend that much on a unit and lawyers fees.

What Terry said !

This road you are trying to take has so many pot holes that it will not be a smooth ride.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:39 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Isn't this sort of like hating spinach and being forced to eat it with a smile??? It might "stay down" but dessert sure won't be enjoyable and neither will waking up in the morning expecting to enjoy breakfast......

I'd say if you're looking for a 14' garage, you're looking at a 40'+ fifth wheel and at least a dually 350/3500. Now you're talking close to $150-200 thousand plus that bag of spinach.....

I wouldn't do it or try to force my DW into anything she "hates". I really don't think this would work and if it did, what's the "payback" ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:50 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Sounds like some of these folks write verses for fortune cookies. First, WHY do you not like camping? Is the lack of counter space? Inconvenience? Bouncing around in a stiff-shock pickup?

Our last RV was a toy hauler that we hauled our 10' plus Goldwing trike as I really like to go riding when camping. Pulled the toy hauler with my old old F250. It was a light weight toy hauler and had no storage. It was called "low profile" in that you could sit up in bed but there was no room. It took us several hours after arriving at a site to unload the trike and pull out all the stuff that had been stashed (run, chairs, tv on a stand, etc) and my wife was not happy with that aspect. The toy hauler made it difficult to pull the trike out without blocking up the ramp and using additional folding ramps else the bottom dragged and so I had to haul along 3 additional ramps.

The solution was to buy a 5th wheel we could afford and pull. Got a 2002 Cougar 278EFS which has a TON of storage, a rear kitchen and is as comfy as our house. Won't be able to take the trike but my wife insists going for nature walks and having campfires will be just as much fun (we can take trike rides anytime). I have been married 46 years and have learned... what is the old ditty? A HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE! We evolved into the current RV and someday maybe she will let me buy a big ol' F350 or such but the current RV is certainly large enough that it feels like a palace compared to others we have owned.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:51 AM   #9
NealBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowlynn View Post
We have a 2010 Dodge 2500 4 x 4 cummins diesel as the wife I hate camping but have agreed to it if we can find a 5th wheel toy hauler that will hold our 4 seater can am (12 ft 6 in), has a decent kitchen with some counter space for me to cook and the shower/sink is not in the master bedroom. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Did you mean to have the word "and" between wife and I? It sounds to me like you as a couple need to avoid rv'ing no matter who hates it.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:41 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

After rereading this post several times .... I think this is the wife posting so hubby can see how futile his quest is. Huge trailer $$$,$$$ New truck $$,$$$ and after all this investment Mama may still not approve of the rough accommodations. Better off with a nice enclosed utility trailer for the CanAm and a booking.com app for the cell phone and follow the Hilton Highway.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #11
Tbos

Get a nice Class A or Class C that have all the creature comforts of home and then tow the Can Am in/on a Trailer behind it. The rental idea is definitely worth checking out. You may discover its better than you think. It nice not having to wonder who slept in the bed the night before or if the sheets were actually washed and changed.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowlynn View Post
So as the Wife that hates camping, is the hate of sleeping in a tent in a bag, or do you also hate camping in a condo on wheels?

The biggest issue is the CanAm, and you will need a very large TH to fit that 12'-6" toy.Talking over 40' and 17,000#.

I tend to agree with the Utility trailer and the staying at the local Hilton, or other hotel.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #13
TheGriz

You may be very surprised. Today's RVs of various flavors are quite luxurious! My wife was also quite skeptical about the RV lifestyle. However, after getting out there on the road, she REALLY likes it now. She even is the one waiting for the campfire. Our trips are to destinations of many interests.

For example, our last trip was to Watkins Glen NY. Only a four day trip, but we really packed quite a bit into those four day...nice restaurants, enjoyed beautiful Lake Seneca, got tipsy enjoying the wine trail around the lake, hiked the Gorge, and best of all we met a heck of a lot of very nice people!!!

Be patient and keep an open mind!!! Plan your trips to places that have things you will be interested in! Pack your favorite foods and libations. Most of all...leave the attitude at home. You will love it!

Regards,
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote