Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
gbsb

A/C problems Thermostat ?

I have two problems
2017 Hideout 26RLSWE

1. With the a/c fan set to automatic the fan cycles on and off with the a/c to keep it cool. Several times the fan has shut off and hasn't started back up, it has gotten really warm and I had to turn the unit off and on several times to get it to finally come back on. Works ok on high fan only messes up on auto.

2. When it is warm, in the 90's the a/c will not cool the camper. It has been 85 degrees outside and only 80 inside. This is with the thermostat set at 68 degrees.

I am in Iowa now and know there isn't a chance in h--- that this thing will be cool enough to stay in when I get back to Texas. My thought is the thermostat is the problem. Any help appreciated George
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:45 AM   #2
Brown Lantern

Had a tech tell me to never use auto when it's really hot. Only "HI".

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
Brown Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:37 AM   #3
Javi

I had approximately the same trailer in a Passport and one 15K A/C was plenty even at the coast of Texas in August... Being a west coast trailer is it possible that you have a 13.5K A/C... And have you checked all the vents and intakes to make sure they are sealed properly.. With our 5th wheel we have two 15K units but rarely run both even last month at the coast..
Old 08-26-2017, 03:58 AM   #4
tbfoxrdms

Not to scare you, (and this may not be your exact problem), but we had a problem not long after taking possession of our brand new 2016 Outback 326RL. We noticed the thermostat couldn't keep the temperature. Then, the circuit breaker for the AC kept tripping. That was enough for us to call service. The technician found melted wires inside a melted Junction box ("J-box"). Apparently these are the wires that go to the thermostat. It was wired improperly and if the breaker hadn't tripped, it would have caught fire and burned down the trailer. The technician said it was wired improperly at the factory. Later last year, Keystone recalled Keystone Passports and Bullets (but of course not my Outback) for bad wiring in J-boxes. And this year the Coleman was recalled for the same thing. So, you may want to take a look at the J-box for scorching or wiring issues.

See picture of my J-box and wiring.
https://goo.gl/photos/TKveYGAAPXLQdnbC6

Since it was under warranty Keystone replaced the J-box but would not pay the $75 service fee for a technician to come out to my camper, even though it could have killed me and it was their fault.
tbfoxrdms is offline   Reply With Quote