Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #1
chillax_n77

Really getting sick of leaks....

Past weekend's trip we had some good rain. I found water soaked in the bunk room, right by the cabinet that houses the docking station for water and shower. My first initial thought was the water pump was leaking since it was our first time using it. We took apart the cabinet to expose the pipes and connections, made sure everything was tight. Had my cousin sit there while I went and turned on the water to operate pump. At the same it started to down pour. Turns out, water was coming in through the outside power outlet!

The door was closed all the way since we were running off the battery. The "gutters" were plugged with pine needles causing a perfect river of water to spill over the side instead of out the spout at the rear of the coach. That river went straight to the power outlet, onto the cord coiled inside and leaked onto the floor. The dealer would have never found that leak! It was just crazy that it happened just as we were attempting to find the leak. Our first camper had tons of leaks so this was kind of turning into that nightmare! Hopefully that's all it was and I'll be sure to check that the next rain we get!
chillax_n77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #2
Dave W

That Amish/Mennonite Indiana farm kid that was supposed to put the seal behind the cover - decided not to that day it was built,

We had a bed room slide leak where they never silicone caulked one of the bottom rails. That too was found on our first camping trip and was corrected as soon as it dried out. Since then, no more have been found. It also would never have been caught by the dealer
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #3
mtofell

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillax_n77 View Post
Past weekend's trip we had some good rain. I found water soaked in the bunk room, right by the cabinet that houses the docking station for water and shower. My first initial thought was the water pump was leaking since it was our first time using it. We took apart the cabinet to expose the pipes and connections, made sure everything was tight. Had my cousin sit there while I went and turned on the water to operate pump. At the same it started to down pour. Turns out, water was coming in through the outside power outlet!

The door was closed all the way since we were running off the battery. The "gutters" were plugged with pine needles causing a perfect river of water to spill over the side instead of out the spout at the rear of the coach. That river went straight to the power outlet, onto the cord coiled inside and leaked onto the floor. The dealer would have never found that leak! It was just crazy that it happened just as we were attempting to find the leak. Our first camper had tons of leaks so this was kind of turning into that nightmare! Hopefully that's all it was and I'll be sure to check that the next rain we get!
Defending poorly constructed RVs is really not a position I like to take (I own one for the record ) but what you describe is a pretty specific event that is hard to call a leak. By your own admission the gutters are clogged and water is running in large quantities to unintended places.

Go dam up the gutters at your house and let them flow over and you'll be surprised where water pours in if you hit just the right (wrong) place. Just as houses aren't completely water proof, neither are RVs. Go spray a hose up your roof or the wrong way at your chimney and water will come pouring in. The RV is manufactured with the idea that water will flow to certain areas. Not trying to give you a hard time but..... I think the moral of this story is keep your gutters clean!
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:32 AM   #4
chillax_n77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Defending poorly constructed RVs is really not a position I like to take (I own one for the record ) but what you describe is a pretty specific event that is hard to call a leak. By your own admission the gutters are clogged and water is running in large quantities to unintended places.

Go dam up the gutters at your house and let them flow over and you'll be surprised where water pours in if you hit just the right (wrong) place. Just as houses aren't completely water proof, neither are RVs. Go spray a hose up your roof or the wrong way at your chimney and water will come pouring in. The RV is manufactured with the idea that water will flow to certain areas. Not trying to give you a hard time but..... I think the moral of this story is keep your gutters clean!
So I guess my story must have been taken the wrong way. I wasn't slamming the manufacturer or the build quality of the RV, I was simply stating that it was a unique situation that I wanted to share. Yes, we had a poorly built unit before we purchased our current unit that gave us nothing but leaks and other issues. So as you can imagine when this leak was discovered it was rather alarming to say the least.
chillax_n77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #5
mtofell

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillax_n77 View Post
So I guess my story must have been taken the wrong way. I wasn't slamming the manufacturer or the build quality of the RV, I was simply stating that it was a unique situation that I wanted to share. Yes, we had a poorly built unit before we purchased our current unit that gave us nothing but leaks and other issues. So as you can imagine when this leak was discovered it was rather alarming to say the least.
Yeah, I kind of read it wrong.... the title made me think you were having a hard time with this RV. I now see from reading it that a lot of the leaks were with a past RV. These RVs are all kind of roll of the dice.... I'm surprised every time I complete a trip and something major doesn't go wrong or leak
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote