Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
rclark

Propane Furnance While Traveling

Seems like a stupid question, but can you run your propane furnace while towing down the road. Never traveled in a cold area when I wanted to keep the interior of the 5th wheel from being freezing cold. We are taking a few plants and other items while we tow south for winter. Our cold (28-34 degrees) area will actually only be a few hundred (350) miles. Seems like vents might be covered up by slides?? Your opinions would be valued. Thanks

2007 Chevy 3500 Dually Duramax Allison
2013 Keystone Alpine 3555rl, Onan 5500, Directv Dish
2004 Everest 364Q
2005 Larado Bunk House TT
2004 Komfort TT
1973 Kenskill TT
rclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

The Suburban owner's manual gives a "WARNING!" followed by this: Be sure the furnace and all ignition systems are "OFF" during any type of refueling and while the vehicle is in motion or being towed".

Further on in the manual, there is another second warning which states: "Do not operate furnace while vehicle is in motion or being towed".

Does this warning from the manufacturer answer your question?

Many folks have their fridge on (using propane) while traveling but I've never heard of anyone having their furnace on.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
rayjoanlough

There have been a few reports of fire occurring when rv'ers leave their propane on (for the fridge) and stop for fuel on the way--------ka-boom!
Prudent minds turn off the propane!
rayjoanlough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
rclark

I had the feeling that it probably would not be a good idea to run the furnace. So will not attempt to run the furnace. I have been towing RV's for 30 plus years and always have run the refrigerator on propane while towing and never had a problem. Lucky?? We crank up the refer about 24 hours prior to heading out and fill up the fridge and head out. In the weather I guess it could leave the propane off, but most times and places we travel are warm so it needs to be on.

2004 Everest 364Q
2004 Komfort TT
1973 Kenskill TT
Old 11-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

The last Dec elk hunt I went on. Temps were 20s in day, mornings were 5 to -5. The last 60 miles to camp we all chained up. Motorhome with jeep, 2 trucks with travel trailers(no slides). At end of long day, we voted to turn on furnaces in trailers to get some sleep sooner than later at arrival to camp site. So, they were on for 70-80 minutes, traveling at 30-35mph. They stayed on. Not suppoosed to be on but, felt needed to under the conditions. I am not telling anyone to do it, just that I did and am here to tell the story.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
outwest

Read awhile back on another forum about a person that left either water heater on gas mode or furnace on (forget which), got flagged down by another motorist, saw flames coming out of side of trailer in mirror, and had to pull over and put out the fire.

That being said, there's been a time or two I've accidentally left furnace on for travel and nothing bad happened. And I always leave fridge on in gas mode for travel (tow vehicle is diesel and use pump islands for semi trucks, so nowhere near gasoline pumps). But as far as heat I'd probably simply turn the heat up a little before travel and turn it off when leave since only gonna be 6 hour in cold. If you stop at a rest stop can always turn heat on for a bit. Plus, the sun on the trailer will help keep it above freezing (assuming it's not overcast).

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

In the Refrigerator manual, there is a statement about the need to keep the reefer level during use. That statement goes on to say that while your vehicle is in motion, there is no need to be level because the rocking of the RV will keep the ammonia solution from pooling. Years ago, before the days of electronic ignition systems, there were kits you could buy to install dampers around the chimney so the flame wouldn't blow out during travel. Now, all Dometic reefers have that kit installed at the factory. Read into that what you wish.

There is a warning to extinguish all flames before refueling (there's also a sign on the gas pump stating, "No Smoking while refueling") That part should be "common sense", so maybe that's why there's a sign? Some people don't use good judgement......

As for the furnace, it requires a certain amount of air flow through the heat exchanger to keep the internal temperature below a "danger point." If some of the hot air vents are covered by slides or other items in the travel mode, you will probalby have reduced air flow and increased internal temperature inside the heat exchanger. That can lead to a dangerous situation IF the safety mechanisms fail. There are overtemp "limit" sensors as well as flame detectors in every modern furnace. If the burner box gets too hot, the furnace "SHOULD" shut down. It is designed not to keep getting hotter and hotter until it "melts and starts to burn."

Likewise, it is designed not to keep "flooding" propane into the compartment until it "blows up"if the flame blows out. The furnace "SHOULD" shut down. Sometimes, designed safety features fail, that's when you get a dangerous situation. Does it happen any more often during travel than during the time your RV is set up and you're living inside it? Probably not. Think about what would happen if you have anything go wrong with the furnace while you're inside sleeping. There's just as much a chance the dog will pull a rug over the heat vent or a gust of wind could blow out the flame.

We rely on the safety features during use and expect them to function as designed. But there's always a chance they could fail.

Do I travel with the furnace on? No, I don't. Will you increase your risk of something "bad" happening if you do? Not if your furnace functions properly and you have free airflow through the heat exchanger.

Will something bad happen if you drive with your furnace operating? NO.
Can something bad happen if you drive with your furnace operating? YES.
Do you increase your risk of something bad happening? PROBABLY NOT (but it's also probably not a good idea)

Here's what Suburban has to say:

Can I use my furnace while driving?

No. Suburban does not feel this is a safe practice. Some states have laws forbidding the use of propane while driving. You should be sure all gas appliances are off and their ignition systems are off while the vehicle is in motion or being towed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Few random thoughts...

I have run with furnace on (both by accident and on purpose) with no ill effects.

I know of no law (except specific bridges, tunnels, ferries, etc) that prohibits the use of propane while in motion.

Without the use of a furnace, how would a motorhome keep it's passenger's warm during travel? The dash heater is likely as effective as the dash a/c considering the large airspace to deal with.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
sdetweil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
Few random thoughts...

I have run with furnace on (both by accident and on purpose) with no ill effects.

I know of no law (except specific bridges, tunnels, ferries, etc) that prohibits the use of propane while in motion.

Without the use of a furnace, how would a motorhome keep it's passenger's warm during travel? The dash heater is likely as effective as the dash a/c considering the large airspace to deal with.
I think we were talking about FW.. motorhome is a different animal.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
I think we were talking about FW.. motorhome is a different animal.
SAD was drawing a comparison to using a Suburban SH or SHD series furnace in a motorhome to heat the interior space while travelling vs using the same furnace in a travel trailer or fifth wheel to heat the interior space. His comment was about the furnace (same animal) as opposed to the type of "container" (fifth wheel/travel trailer/motorhome) which is also the "same animal."

His question, if one were to be stated, is: Why is it "acceptable" and "safe" to use the furnace in a motorhome and not use the same furnace in a towable while the vehicle is in operation?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
SAD was drawing a comparison to using a Suburban SH or SHD series furnace in a motorhome to heat the interior space while travelling vs using the same furnace in a travel trailer or fifth wheel to heat the interior space. His comment was about the furnace (same animal) as opposed to the type of "container" (fifth wheel/travel trailer/motorhome) which is also the "same animal."

His question, if one were to be stated, is: Why is it "acceptable" and "safe" to use the furnace in a motorhome and not use the same furnace in a towable while the vehicle is in operation?
ding ding ding
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
airforceret

You might want to consider using a DC ceramic heater.

http://www.sears.com/dc-thermal-dc-t...4&blockType=G4

It will likely not heat your entire RV, but you may be able to generate enough heat in a smaller area of the RV for plants and such.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

I think the OP was thinking of keeping the 5th wheel interior warm while travelling so as to protect some plants that were being taken from A to B. This would preclude the use of any kind of heater that would require 110v AC.

You may not be breaking any law travelling with your propane on (fridge and/or furnace) except in those situations mentioned by SAD - ferries, etc., but you are taking a chance, albeit a slim one, that nothing will happen. I travel with the fridge on but draw the line travelling with the furnace on. It doesn't take all that long to heat up the interior when we arrive at our destination. We can put up with it not being "warm and toasty" for a short time - it really isn't that difficult, uncomfortable or intolerable.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
rclark

Looks like the problem is solved. The ceramic DC heater might help a little bit, but it looks like Mother Nature will help the most. The temps are warming up and looks good for taking off tomorrow. Heading to TX from WA. Snow Birding until spring. Thanks for all the input.

2004 Everest 364Q
2004 Komfort TT
1973 Kenskill TT