Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #1
Mandersoon

Montana Mountaineer Vinyl Skirting Project

Good day, All!

I wanted to share my skirting project with you all, mainly in hopes that it might motivate others that are looking to the same thing, or something similar for their RV.

This fall, I relocated from Washington State to the south suburbs of Chicago. Knowing that it was going to be cold as hell here, ways to winterize and stay warm were top priority. I began researching skirting ideas. I found that many people simply buy that pink insulating foam board and affix it to the side. This works, but is not easily transportable. I wanted to do a Vinyl skirting that I could easily take off, roll-up, and roll out if need be.

I saw the DIY kits using the 3M screw-less snaps, but with the extreme cold temperatures and wind in the Chicago area, I was dubious about how well these would hold up to the winter weather. I figured I better go with something more durable.

I watched some videos on the commercial Vinyl skirting options, but $3000 was out of my budget. However, I liked the materials they chose to use, so I emulated my project on those. Inspirational videos I used are and I elected to use 22mil vinyl, which is super thick and durable. The downside to this material is that it's also more difficult to work with.

The skirting is comprised of 5 major parts that go up on the trailer using marine-grade snaps and "common sense" fasteners. The door-side section is, by far, the longest part. In hindsight, I probably should have broken this into two sections, and I may still do that in the spring.

Overall, this project cost me about $1000 dollars and a solid week of time. I didn't have a sewing machine that would work for this project, so I had to buy one, and learn how to use it. The materials by themselves cost me about $700. I've attached the bill of materials to this thread.

I'm pretty pleased with the results so far, and we've had a few windy days where the windy side gets pushed in a bit, but I go out and pull it back out. In the spring, when the skirting comes off, I may sew on some straps so that I can stake it into the ground, or set up some other way to secure it.

Photos of my project as completed and underway: Link to Google Photos Album

To-do as of November 2018: Fix the siding where the tire blew out and took a section of the aluminum siding with it. I've put up a temporary fix in the meantime, which you'll see in the photos and video.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about how I could improve this project! Thanks for looking.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf SkirtingProjectBillOfMaterials.pdf (416.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: pdf RVSkirtingProjectMeasurements.pdf (499.1 KB, 130 views)
Mandersoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana