Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2011, 03:36 AM   #1
Ruffus

Smile Camping in a City???

What's happened camping? We use to go camping or Rving to get away from the mad house and the bright lights of the city, now they come to us. Sitting on an island camp ground at the Fort McAllister Historic Park in GA with spanish moss laden oak trees, no street lights or noisey hwy's and then the weekend comes. Campers and there children show up and hoist shop light buckets 30 feet into the trees to simulate street lights, laden their awnings with lighted diggle balls and their mats with colored rope lights (to keep the snakes away I guess) flood lights to brighten their pathways and their neighbors bedroom then they unload battery powered kiddy cars to occupy the children while mommy and daddy get drunk while listening to there window rattling music. I thought getting out to the great outdoors ment dark nights teaching our children about the stars while roasting marshmellows and making smores around the family campfire and if you needed a light we had these inventions called flashlights that also aided the children in a game of hide and seek while mommy and daddy got drunk around the campfire. During the day we also allowed the kids to play in the woods learning about mother nature, not terrorizing the neighboring camper by chaseing their dog with a battery powered car that they ride in.
"WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO CAMPING"?
I hope I didn't offend anyone, just needed to vent a little. Have a great Memorial Day weekend and by the way, lets teach our children and grandchildren the real meaning of Memorial Day. Just a thought.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
Jim W

I agree with you totally. My DW and I do not camp on the following weekends, Memorial Day, 4th of July weekend and Labor day Weekend. To many crazies are out there and we just stay home. In fact most of the neighborhood is quiet this weekend. I wonder why?
Now that we are retired we usually leave to go camping on a Monday morning and may return either Friday or Saturday of that week.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
wgb1

I also agree and have come to realize it is indicative of our society now. So many folks now-days only care about themselves and have no concern what so ever about about anyone else or how their actions affect them. Its all about me, me, me. What makes me feel good. What makes me happy. To hell with anyone else. I could care less what they think and if they don't like it, they can leave. This kind of thinking is what is tearing this country apart and is so sad, but so true. I see it every single day.

I don't know what can be done to change this way of thinking, but it must start with our children.

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Unfortunately, many of those "ME" parents you referred to are also raising "ME" children. But you are right, it should start with them but all too many are learning all the wrong lessons taught by their "ME" moms and dads.
Not that it is much consolation, but "this way of thinking" also crosses political borders.
Not sure where this expression came from but it says a lot about what wgb1 "sees every day"........... "Get out of my life but take me to the Mall first."
Old 05-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
ftwildernessguy

We usually avoid weekends any time or campground if at all possible. The weekend warriors are the worst.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
Me.Bikes.Dogs

One thing you can do at RV parks is ask them to put you amongst the campers that are staying for a month or more. Most of them, like me, don't put out all the lights and other stuff. However you will run into some fulltimers that have turned their RV into the home they don't have any longer. Potted plants, lights all around their "acreage", stepping stones, and even a few pink flamingos.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
hankaye

Howdy All;

The really nice thing about an RV and a Houseboat is ...

If ya don't like the neighborhood ya can always un-plug and move on.

I do full-time. quiet Park here in Central Utah (cold enought that ice cream wants to go South for the winter), Crowded here right now. In a few hours we'll be back to full-timers only as the weekenders pack-up and head home. I figure that I can 'suffer' the idiots for a day or 2 (some provide some needed comic relief at times).

Ain't nuttin perfekt in this World, least of all me.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
cumminsdad08

Well this "weekend warrior" bust's his hump all week every month every year, to give his famliy the best he can. i only have time to head out on the weekend, or long weekend's. i just returned from a campground where no one else was. we had a good time, and was quite suprised that no one was around. but everyone's idea of camping is differnt. and i like to hang my litle lights under my awning, gives a little glow for the cooler and the steps for my very young children. not everyone sits around and gets rowdy and drunk all weekend. we don't drink period, and i get discusted at all the beer cans everywhere i go just piled up. i don't have a problem with drinking, i come from a family of boozers, but they always kept it on there own stuff in there own area. not on the road or by the creek. i like what was said earlier, if you don't like it, move on.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
campingcpl

We just got back last night from an extended weekend at one of the state parks about a 4 hour drive from us. When we got there it was nice and quite and hardly anyone there, it was great. Then Friday night the crowd starts rolling in. We now have a group of tent campers taking up about 4 camp sites around us and 2 tents per site and about 20 people with kids hitting balls with bats! Had one kid hit the side of the camper with a ball and told him to please keep the balls away from our camper (parents didn't say a thing to them about it). My wife and I were sitting in the camper relaxing after doing a long day of hiking and while sitting there I noticed that one of the guys from this group in the tents is standing at the back of our camper talking on his cell phone, drinking a beer and looking in the back window of our camper. I walked out the door and asked him if I could help him and he responded by saying "oh am I in your area". Then we had another camper near us that had 5 dogs and 3 kids all under 5 years old. They had more toys and trash on the ground around their campsite then a daycare center. The dogs constantly barked at everyone that walked past the campsite and the 3 kids would scream at the top of their lungs outside the camper door for what seemed like hours when the "parents" wouldn't let them in the camper. While riding our bikes around the campgrounds we also noticed several of the campsites that had the "city look or what I like to call the airport landing strip" and we both though that it was good we didn't have to deal with that as well. My wife and I are seriously starting to rethink the holiday weekend camping trips but they seem to work the best with our work schedules.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
wgb1

Oh, but Phil and Janine!!! You could have moved to another location!!!

Of, course, I am being facetious, but that is what many others would have you think. Why is it, its always the one causing the problems that thinks the one that is not a problem should be the one to move? Especially when you were in your site before the selfish ones.

I liken it to one time years ago, I was in a meeting in an enclosed room and there 2 people smoking. Now I had to be in the room with no option to leave. I remember complaining about the the smoke since it was becoming increasingly difficult for me to even breathe. And what do you think the reponse was that I got in return? Yep, you guessed it. "If (I) you don't like it, you can leave". So, I did, I got up and walked out of the meeting. Of course, now smoking is banned in all state buildings in which I work.

2000 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 06-02-2011, 02:52 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

WGB1 Your assessment of smoking is a prime example of the "me generation" in its early years. Even today, people complain that their "rights" are being violated because they can't smoke indoors in public facilities. "THEY" are being deprived of their "RIGHTS". (No matter that the majority find it offensive) On to campgrounds, "THEY" move in and "TAKE OVER" the peace and tranquility, set up their "CITY" of lights and sounds that offend just as much (if not more) than the smoke. And, sadly, many of them think they have the "right" to do what they please, after all, they paid for the site and they "own" it, even if it is right next door to some of the most beautiful things nature has to offer, it doesn't matter, their lights and sounds are "necessary" for their enjoyment of the tranquility nature has to offer. As for their children standing outside the camper screaming that mom won't let them in..... Can't really blame the children, but as for the "parents" (if you can call them that)... Hmmmmm I'd get arrested if I said what I'm thinking..... <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:53 AM   #12
hankaye

WGB1, Howdy;

I do Not hang fish lights from my awning, nor do I 'get-off' on the 'airport look' or loud music or bonfires. Quite the contrary. If you assumed that I did because of my expressed opinion then ...well you know what they say about assuming...

Any comments I made about the option of moving apply to ME. I know that if the "neighbors" that move in bother ME then I have the option to move. Wether or not I exercise that option is up to ME.

The behavior of others is something I do not attempt to modify. Yea, I can be a judgemental S-O-B. Often I am. I just keep those judgements to myself. Unless someone asks me what I think... ok, THEY asked for it..... they'll get it!

If I deciede to leave a campground early, generally the staff at the office will ask 'Why?" I'll tell'em. And I'll use the site #'s.
If the Management realizes that they will be loosing future revenue they may, deciede to do something about the 'problem children' that our generation has spawned.

This is MY opinion, if you choose to agree with it ... fine.
If you choose to dissagree that is also fine.

Don't try to read more into it than is already there.

I'm done now.....

hankaye

T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #13
campingcpl

What it really comes down to is respecting others be it their privacy, space, etc.. In the case of moving to a different spot, that wasn't going to be possible seeing how the campgrounds were full. We made our resevations for this campgrounds back in December and even then there was only about a dozen sites still available out of almost 300 sites. I was always raised to treat people the way you would want to be treated so I respect other peoples privacy, space, etc. but the problem is like wgb1 said it's all about "me". And that is the way the majority of people think now days but they will be the first to complain if someone doesn't respect their privacy, space, etc..

JRTJH,
You are right we didn't and couldn't blame the kids for the screaming but we could blame the parents for not being responsable enough to take care of their own children. So we know how you feel when you say.."Can't really blame the children, but as for the "parents" (if you can call them that)... Hmmmmm I'd get arrested if I said what I'm thinking..... <sigh>".

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #14
mikell

Our campground was basically a homeless camp till we picked it up and cleaned them out. Still we have people come in and say they are going to camp right there because they can get over the 6 foot fence easy to visit their cousin down the block. We have turned down more people wanting to move in for the summer than we've rented to. Can't seem to understand if your going to live in a camper full time it needs plumbing because the bathrooms in the campground part are for CAMPERS!! Don't get me started
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #15
wgb1

Hankaye,

I wasn't referring to your post where you referenced moving to another site. I apologize if my post gave you that impression. It was just a general statement about how many folks do look at situations like that.

We live in a society filled with the "me" generation and I just don't really see it getting better in the future. The neighborly unity and closeness is gone for the most part. Thats not to say it dosen't exist, its just much more rare these days

2000 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 06-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #16
hankaye

wgb1, Howdy;

Sorry, was not my intent to make you or anyone else feel guilty about anything.

I was merely stating my opinion. A88holes will showup everywhere. It's all a matter of tolerance. Mine is moderate.

I do not feel as if I am 'Camping'. I live in my RV 24/7/365. It is my HOME.
Sorta like an Efficency apartment with seperate bed & bath. My mobile condo if you will.

My attitudes will and are different than yours. As are my concerns about the manor in which the 'Campground' or Park in which I find myself 'Living' are being managed or mismanaged.

I done now...
Returning ya'll to your normal programming......

hankaye

Old 06-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #17
mikell

We spent every weekend for a couple of years at a private campground that was SOOOO quiet we got ruined. THEN they let a guy move in about 40 feet away that couldn't sleep without all his outside lights on like at home. We asked him to shut them off and he refused then he started leaving them on when he was gone during the week first week I complained but nothing the third week when we went out on a Wednesday night and had the place to ourselves except for his lights so I removed the covers and pulled the bulbs and put in ones that I shook till the wires broke. It was nice till he blew up about I had done something to his light. A week later we pulled in on a friday night to find our power had been unplugged and another new neighbor plugged theirs in and locked it. The next weekend we were gone. I pulled the 200' of wire and the box I had paid for to have a quiet spot and left. I still have their plug
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #18
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Some how, some way, people have lost their respect for others. It's evident in these stories and many other daily experiences. It's me, me, me.

Thankfully there are still respectful campers out there. Just getting fewer and farther between.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote