Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
jerseyphil

Dinged Up the Side a Little

Well...... I christened my beautiful, 2011 Cougar 318SAB.
I'm a dumb-cluck!!
I was turning right, going forward, watching my passenger side mirror, and didn't see a LOW POST sticking up. It was noisy outside and I didn't hear the scraping right away......then.....Oh crap!!

Is there anyone out there as STUPID as me?

Under the right side storage door, I crinkled the body for a distance a little wider than the storage door. Luckily, the location wasn't anything critical, BUT, I hate seeing it. It looks like I could take a piece of something, maybe that aluminum flashing and contact cement to cover the area.

Anyone else do any damage to their "baby"?

Phil
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:55 AM   #2
Johnnyfry

Crease job

Yeah, afraid so...
I had owned my new 318SAB for about a month when I was going around a corner in a campground and heard a scraping sound. I had clipped a street sign post and put a crease down the port side.

It didn't damage anything critical but didn't look too nice either.

I have $1k deductible and thi repair is going to be $2.4k. Tends to make one a bit POd at one's self!

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:33 AM   #3
cumminsdad08

i was pulling mine home one afternoon, and i have to park along the street. there are two large maple trees right along the curb. i was pulling along and watching the rear one, being that that is the one with the large branch that hangs out onto the street. and aperently the front one has a large branch on it too. i must have pulled front a little futher then i usually do and i caught the corner of the driverside front. nothing serious but i did manage to bust off some of the rain gutter.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
jerseyphil

Thanks for your replies.

Everytime I look at the damage, I feel like crap, even though nothing serious happened to my trailer. I'll eventually have it fixed, but for now it is a reminder to PAY ATTENTION!!!

Regards,
Phil
Old 05-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
jq1031

Back in 2007 I was heading east on I-90 in my relatively new Damon Tuscany Motor Home.....Alot of road construction near Chicago, concrete barriers seperating the lanes.....you guessed it, i hit one of them scraping the side of my coach for about 20 feet. I diden't even know it happened untill I saw the damage! $1500 to repaint!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
hankaye

jerseyphil, Howdy;

The old 7 mile bridge in the Florida Keys was always fun to drive at night... follow a bus across it and you'd have a great light show from the sparks showering off the sides of the buses as they would brush up against the railings everytime they pass another vehical going the other direction...LOL
hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
The Sod Father

I had two issues with my last trailer.

1) I was backing into the driveway and, as usual, had my bride guide me in. We were using the FRS radios. I told her, "let me know if I get too close to the cherry tree". She said, "ok". Then, as I was backing in, she started looking at one of the flower beds. Looking in my side mirror I see one branch snap. I get out, look at the ladder and see one of the rails is bent. I look at my bride and say, "why didn't you say anything??". She said, "oh crap. Just.... well.... ya see... oh Christ, just back it in. I don't want to talk about it". Allllrightythen.

2) A week after I took delivery of my Rockwood, I decided to add a coat rack to one of the walls. Not knowing the thickness of the exterior walls, I called my dealer and asked. He said, "about two inches". So.... I bought 2" butterfly bolts, drilled a hole in the luan and and mounted the rack. It looked great! I hung a few coats on it and then went outside to do some other work. That was when I saw the bolts protruding 1/4" out the other side of the fiberglass. I got non-stop ribbing from my campering pals over that one. I backed out the bolts, put in smaller bolts and filled the holes with caulk. When it came time to trade in the Rockwood on the Bullet, I went to graphics place, got a 4' long piece of adhesive vinyl, cut it into a swooshy type shape and covered the holes. The vinyl blended in with the other graphics and the dealer was none the wiser. Fiberglass repair - $350. Vinyl decal - $10. A no brainer.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
jerseyphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sod Father View Post
I had two issues with my last trailer.

1) I was backing into the driveway and, as usual, had my bride guide me in. We were using the FRS radios. I told her, "let me know if I get too close to the cherry tree". She said, "ok". Then, as I was backing in, she started looking at one of the flower beds. Looking in my side mirror I see one branch snap. I get out, look at the ladder and see one of the rails is bent. I look at my bride and say, "why didn't you say anything??". She said, "oh crap. Just.... well.... ya see... oh Christ, just back it in. I don't want to talk about it". Allllrightythen.

2) A week after I took delivery of my Rockwood, I decided to add a coat rack to one of the walls. Not knowing the thickness of the exterior walls, I called my dealer and asked. He said, "about two inches". So.... I bought 2" butterfly bolts, drilled a hole in the luan and and mounted the rack. It looked great! I hung a few coats on it and then went outside to do some other work. That was when I saw the bolts protruding 1/4" out the other side of the fiberglass. I got non-stop ribbing from my campering pals over that one. I backed out the bolts, put in smaller bolts and filled the holes with caulk. When it came time to trade in the Rockwood on the Bullet, I went to graphics place, got a 4' long piece of adhesive vinyl, cut it into a swooshy type shape and covered the holes. The vinyl blended in with the other graphics and the dealer was none the wiser. Fiberglass repair - $350. Vinyl decal - $10. A no brainer.
Oh well. Stuff happens. Gotta just keep smilin' and keep RVing.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Isn't there a thread going right now about a member who bought a trailer that had repairs done to it and a decal applied over the repair to hide it ? Aren't there many who are saying "get a lawyer" and "Keystone should be responsible" for the undisclosed repairs? Shouldn't we all be more responsible for what we "turn in" to a dealer, knowing it's going to wind up back on the road (maybe camped next to our new rig) with some unsuspecting new owner, possibly one of our friends ?

Hmmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Devildogmom

Thumbs down Branches are a killer

Yup, the sweetie was pulling the brand new Cougar home from the dealer and scraped the top with low hanging branches. Ended up having the dealer patch the roof. It was either the patch or a new $5,000 roof.. OUCH!
Old 09-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Ouch !

That would be heart-breaking - especially on a brand new unit! Hopefully, it will be your first and last encounter with low branches.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #12
Alpinecummin

I was pulling our 2003 Jayco Designer out of the back yard with the cover still on the camper. The gate was 10 foot across allowing me to pull an eight wide camper through the gate. My wife and I were on walkie talkies so she could guide me through the gate. As I was pulling the camper out the light wind was blowing bellowing the cover up a little on the camper so I couldn't really tell how close I was to the gate or the house. As I was pulling the camper through the gate the truck all of a sudden stopped moving. I stepped on the the pedal a light harder, but the truck wouldn't move. So I got out of the truck to see what was happening and my wife came running up to me yelling, "Can't you hear me on the radio, I have been yelling at you to stop!" After getting my ### chewing, I discovered my radio wasn't working and I couldn't hear my wife over the diesel engine, the front right wheel had run up on stump in the yard next to the house, and I had hit the power meter on the house and punched out a 18 inch by 48 inch window on the camper next to the front door on the camper. We used duct tape to hold the window together in the camper for six weeks while we waited for Jayco to send us a replacement window, and fortunately I didn't damage the power meter on the house or damage the tire on the truck.

I learned the hard way, never pull a camper with the cover on it, and make sure booth radios are working!

1977 Avon
2003 Jayco Designer 32FKS
2011 Alpine 3640RL
2007 Dodge 3500
Alpinecummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:36 AM   #13
Devildogmom

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
That would be heart-breaking - especially on a brand new unit! Hopefully, it will be your first and last encounter with low branches.
Yeah, I wasn't too happy, but stuff happens!
Old 09-17-2011, 06:01 AM   #14
dea3851

stuff happens

Jerseyphil. well I've not hit anything yet, But thought I was doing a good thing buy having a cover made for my 318SAB, 2010, nice cover, pulled it off this springto find the bottom edge where the grommets were had taken the paint and finish off, well I was sick to say the lease, after I got over the shock of the whole thing went over to our local sign comp. and they had a vinyl product that matched the color of the graphics to put along the bottom edge and it looks great better than new, I think it looks better than when I picked it up at the dealer, and no one can tell it was messed up, Don from Ludington, and it only cost me 300.00
dea3851 is offline   Reply With Quote