Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2019, 07:02 AM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Late to the conversation- have you checked amp draw?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:52 AM   #22
brianshellhart

This all started when my plastic gearbox that the motor broke. I ordered a new gear box. Then after the new gear box come in I put it on. Thee original motor was blowing fuses left and right when I went to lifting the 5th wheel. So I figured that i might have overstressed the motor when the plastic gearbox broke. I ordered a new motor. Put it on and all I got was a rat a tat tat when trying to raise the 5th wheel. Goes down fine just fine except every so often it rattle. So then I put in new gearing at the top of the legs. Put it all back to gether and the same thing i don't have a multi meter nor am I a electrian im a mechanic. So with everything working fine before the plastic gearbox broke now I get nothing raising the rig
brianshellhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

That's why I recommended that you use a fully charged battery and a set of jumper cables to connect the landing gear motor directly to the battery (as a test only). The current setup isn't blowing fuses, so there's little (no) danger by using "big gauge jumper cables" to connect the motor for a test. That will tell you whether the motor is capable of raising the trailer with "direct power". If the motor works without issue to raise the trailer, then your problem is in the trailer wiring. If the motor still strains and won't lift the trailer, then either you have (as you indicated) a "too small motor) as a replacement (6000 lb motor as a replacement for the 7000 pound motor) or a problem with binding somewhere in the actual landing gear mechanism...

Without an ammeter to test load on the motor, I'd try a direct connection to see if the motor works with "full available power"... That'll give you an indication of whether it's a wiring or a landing gear issue.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:19 AM   #24
kksfish

Might be worth making sure the screw drive inside the legs themselves are adequately greased and are not bent or fouled in some fashion. Remove the lower drop down section to access the screw.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #25
brianshellhart

Ok so I'm pluged into shore power and with a new battery used jumper cables and still the same goes down but doesn't go up with direct power. Again this all started with a gearbox
Old 01-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #26
brianshellhart

Ok so the original motor works with direct power goes up and down fine. So now the question is why do I keep blowing fuses when i use the switch??
Old 01-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #27
brianshellhart

Ok so I decided to try the original motor and it works goes up and down under direct power. So now the question is why do I keep blowing fuses with the original motor
Old 01-22-2019, 11:03 AM   #28
brianshellhart

I blow fuses going up or down
Old 01-22-2019, 11:03 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

First, what size fuse is in the system? It may be too small for the application. DON'T CHANGE IT WITHOUT KNOWING THE WIRE SIZE IS BIG ENOUGH FOR INCREASED CURRENT DRAW !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #30
brianshellhart

It is a 30 amp mini
Old 01-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #31
brianshellhart

After closer inspection of the test I ran connecting the battery directly to the motor the shear bolt of the follower side got bent the hell up almost to failure
Old 01-22-2019, 11:26 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

If the shear pin is bent that badly, something in the follower leg is binding and is probably causing your problem. You will need to jack and support your landing gear, remove that leg and rebuild it. My guess is that either the long threaded rod is bent or there is something binding it as it "threads itself through the stationary threaded thrust washer. It could be as simple as needing grease or it could be a broken thrust washer, bent threaded rod or something preventing the rod from turning within the thrust washer.

You may be able to access all of it from under the trailer if you remove the lower "smaller" leg. On some trailers you can get access, on some it's just too difficult to work from below and you'll need to remove the follower leg. That is also easy to do, and likely is your problem since you say the shear pin is bent....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #33
brianshellhart

Ok well thanks for your help if i have any other questions I will give you a shout
Old 01-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Let us know what you find and how you repair the system. It will help others who may have similar problems. Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #35
brianshellhart

Ok so i fudged up and need to replace both drive and follow legs I know they mount to the inside of my frame and are 29 1/2" outer tube. I'm looking online but most of the pictures show the little knotch in the metal that supports the leg to the frame is on the inside of the leg and the pictures dont show the outside to see if the same knotch is on the outside as well. Seeing as tho I have already vested a bunch of money already didnt know if there was a cheaper support leg that wasnt 280$
Old 01-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #36
brianshellhart

Are Lippert and venture comparable together
Old 01-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #37
Local150

Imo if it worked before you shouldn't have to reengineer the system by adding more motors etc., Keep looking and don't give up
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #38
tkbender

Landing gear is binding. Gear box on motor has clutch to protect motor. I have snapped the LG shaft. Make sure the worm gears are properly lubed.
tkbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #39
johnlewis

The problem may be the thrust bearing at the top of the landing gear. We had the "rat a tat tat" problem, and it turned out to be a bad thrust bearing. When the bearing fails, the gearbox can't engage the teeth on the landing gear properly.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #40
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlewis View Post
The problem may be the thrust bearing at the top of the landing gear. We had the "rat a tat tat" problem, and it turned out to be a bad thrust bearing. When the bearing fails, the gearbox can't engage the teeth on the landing gear properly.
Good point,, that is a possibility
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
landing gear