Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #41
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I just can't imagine running so close on weight that it requires this. That's like saying "honey don't feed the dogs and make a salad for lunch as we're towing the camper today."
We are looking at Class 8's so we don't have to put up with all this crap!
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #42
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
We are looking at Class 8's so we don't have to put up with all this crap!
Which model class 8 are y'all looking at?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #43
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I just can't imagine running so close on weight that it requires this. That's like saying "honey don't feed the dogs and make a salad for lunch as we're towing the camper today."
Well emptying the HW tank, will reduce the 5er by 95#, but likely only remove about 10 to 20# from the pin at most.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #44
Frank G

Mack Anthem
Old 04-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #45
notanlines

Frank, if you go that route we will all live vicariously through you...I only wish. DW would go along with it, but we wouldn't have a daily driver once we arrived at our destination. I guess a family can't have everything....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:21 PM   #46
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
I guess I missed something in my research.
The enhanced suspension along with the difference in payload (in my favor) because the truck is a gasser (FFV) and 2WD add up to enough truck for the pin weight of the trailer and the hitch package.
Adding 40% to the trucks payload makes it more than any F350. Correct?
I could be wrong and really trying not to be "that guy".
The truck tows and stops the trailer. While it is not "effortlessly" the RPMs and gauges and handling are normal.
I appreciate the help available on here versus a pi==ing match on credibility.
Thanks
RMc

My F350 has a payload of 5600lbs. I know of one here that has 6000lbs payload.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #47
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Frank, if you go that route we will all live vicariously through you...I only wish. DW would go along with it, but we wouldn't have a daily driver once we arrived at our destination. I guess a family can't have everything....
You can haul anything with a 8.5ft length or shorter between the sleeper and the fifth wheel. You would still have plenty of payload to spare.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #48
Laredo Tugger

OK,
"Your voices have been heard and the day of reckoning is coming". A bible verse?
No. Just my resolve to listen to the people who have "been there,done that". Especially those towing big fifth wheels around this great country of ours. Local intel is paramount. Period. I'm alive because of local intel. Listening to those that have the crucial info you need to succeed.
So the plan is to sell the boat,about 25K of cash there and trade or sell my gasser for a diesel TV. Will be around 55-60K available for purchase.
My question is simple. What, in the HUMBLE opinion of those on this blog do I need to tow a 35 ft. fifth wheel. The Laredo is rated at 13K fully loaded. I doubt if I will ever have that much "cargo" but that's the possible max.
Am I in definite dually territory? Can I get by with a F350-3500 DRW (non dually)? 4x4?
Basically asking what would you be comfortable (or feel safe) towing this rig with?
5er is the Laredo 350FB if you need the info.
Thanks,
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:44 PM   #49
rhagfo

Quote:
OK,
"Your voices have been heard and the day of reckoning is coming". A bible verse?
No. Just my resolve to listen to the people who have "been there,done that". Especially those towing big fifth wheels around this great country of ours. Local intel is paramount. Period. I'm alive because of local intel. Listening to those that have the crucial info you need to succeed.
So the plan is to sell the boat,about 25K of cash there and trade or sell my gasser for a diesel TV. Will be around 55-60K available for purchase.
My question is simple. What, in the HUMBLE opinion of those on this blog do I need to tow a 35 ft. fifth wheel. The Laredo is rated at 13K fully loaded. I doubt if I will ever have that much "cargo" but that's the possible max.
Am I in definite dually territory? Can I get by with a F350-3500 DRW (non dually)? 4x4?
Basically asking what would you be comfortable (or feel safe) towing this rig with?
Thanks,
RMc
The right 350/3500 SRW diesel with max payload will carry / pull that 5er easily. The other thing you need to keep in mind is that that Laredo only has a CCC of 1,700#. With a length of 38’ 1,700# is not a lot of payload so you will likely be very close to the 13,000# GVWR.
Any of the big 3 one ton SRW will carry and pull it just fine.
If you have worries about the stability of your F250 a 350/3500 SRW will not improve that much.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #50
chuckster57
Site Team

JMHO, having towed a 36’ 12,000 lb fiver with both SRW and DRW, I wouldn’t go back to SRW. Had a blowout rear inner drivers side with fiver hooked up 65 MPH. I was able to pull over with ease, can’t say a SRW would have the same outcome. You may never experience what I did, but it is food for thought.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:34 PM   #51
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
OK,
Thanks,
RMc
A 1 ton diesel will do the job just fine (equipped properly). A dually gives you more stability and more payload but you shouldn't need that except in a very dire circumstance. When I upgrade trailers I'm looking at a gvw in the 13k range and a 1 ton diesel. Buying a dually vs a SRW is much like buying a diesel vs a gasser. YOU have to determine what's important to you. Once you determine a SRW is going to do the job adequately then.....Is the DRW too big? Will it fit the garage? Can/will DW drive it? What do you gain with the DRW? The answer for me is yes, it's too big, no, no and nothing (for me).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:57 AM   #52
JRTJH
Site Team

Laredo Tugger,

Your first post in this thread poses the question: We are trading a bumper pull trailer for a larger fifth wheel.......

So, at least for me, the question you need to answer is: Will this Laredo be the "biggest and last upgrade to larger trailer"??? If you can answer that with a definite yes, then upgrading to a SRW 350/3500 would be adequate for this upgrade. If, on the other hand, there's a potential that in a few years that you will want a larger fifth wheel, then you're going to be in the same situation again, when that upgrade occurs.

None (well almost none) of us go into buying a new trailer and already planning to trade it for larger in a couple of years, but many of us have "designs on what we really want when we can afford it"....

So, if this is the last trailer and the biggest trailer, then buy a tow vehicle for it, but if this is a "stepping stone to larger", you might want to consider a DRW 350/3500 now and save the upgrade expense for a new tow vehicle when that new trailer gets parked in the driveway......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:49 AM   #53
Laredo Tugger

Thanks to all (so far) for the feed back and info.

rahgfo, Our travels will be just DW and myself. If we don't bring her shoes,we should stay under weight. But seriously, I am being careful about the cargo and aware of the limitations.

chuckster57, That is a noted point about the DRW. I am leaning towards a short bed and was looking at the Ford Towing Guides and could not find a DRW short bed. Maybe I read them wrong or another manufacture has that model?

sourdough, My F250 is classified a 3/4 ton. Is the the F350 a one ton or does the truck need to be in the 450/550 category to meet that requirement? But I get your point.

JRTGH, We swore we would not get envy with the bumper pull,but the elbow room in the TT was getting smaller each trip. We decided to get something we could stay in comfortably on extended trips. Maybe a month or so.
This will be the last. The Laredo is more than enough to accommodate our needs for the next 10-15 years,unless I win the lotto. Then I will mount a small helicopter to the top of it. Oh wait,might be over CCC. OK,scrap that idea. I understand your concern and honestly believe that has been addressed.

Thanks all, will keep you posted and I'm sure have more questions.
RMc
Old 04-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #54
AbHDToyHauler

Just fire up the chopper to offset it's own weight! hahahah A 350 is a one ton at least on a GM and a Ford. Don't believe they make short box DRW.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #55
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

GM: 3500. Dually no short box.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:06 PM   #56
Laredo Tugger

OK
The 350/3500 series equates to one ton. My checkbook just had a sigh of relief.
And I guess the wheel base is to short on a short box for DRW? Any other explanations,please chime in. I'm just guessing here.
RMc
Old 04-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #57
Frank G

If your check book matters, It is common knowledge that a Ram truck is about 10K less out the door than a comparable Ford, Chevy or GMC in the higher trim levels. We all have our opinions, so the choice is yours. In my opinion at the present time any of the above are good choices and preform well without significant issues. They all require maintenance and get comparable MPG's empty or towing.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:47 PM   #58
Rangerj

Tugger, from your early posts you made it clear you didn’t haul a bunch of heavy stuff. You don’t pull up the Rockies, and your truck has over 3000 lbs. available. With that in mind, you don’t need a new truck. More likely you want a new truck.You’ve got a great new trailer. Enjoy it. Pull it. See if it has enough power. If you don’t like it make up a story as to how you want to be “safe” and then the DW will not gripe when you get a new truck. Or just be honest and say “ Honey, you look so cute standing in front of our new Rv, don’t you think I’d look good standing in front of a new truck?” Then if you can afford it buy it! You’ve worked hard and long. It’s America!

Johnnie, Suzanne and Dixie Blue
2018 336fbok Jayco
2011 3500 Ram DRW 6.7 Cummins
Rangerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #59
Laredo Tugger

Rangerj, Thanks for the vote of confidence. Yes my present TV will handle the trailer. But being so close to GCVW is honestly some what scary. I do not like to push things. I do have a trip planned later this month in mid US. I will evaluate the trucks performance and especially see how hot the differential gets after some time on the road. This trailer is so nice and comfortable that I may want to tow it over some hills and see some of the "elevated" beauty of this country. Meaning new TV. Yes I would like to keep the boat,but priorities say different. DW understands and agrees it would be nice to be able to tow where we please.

Frank G, Funny you should say that. Your'e the second person today to tell me that. I did look at the Dodge website today and have heard good things about the Cummins motor package. I did notice there was a transmission option ($2700) for a AISIN. Anyone know if that is a worthy investment?

Thanks guys,
RMc
Old 05-04-2018, 05:10 PM   #60
Barbell

Cummins powered 3500 DRW with Aisin transmission is IMHO an unbeatable combination because that is what we use to pull our 36 ft Montana. Ram makes a short bed dually: the maxi cab 3500. More cab, less bed. Not for me but may work for others. We have 2 years and 35,000 miles on ours with nothing but smiles all around.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel