Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
Kurtpenn

Help...generator not charging batteries

2017 3900 Alpine... has optional generator... generator is not charging house batteries, we can't figure out why? We think it could be an issue with the converter/ inverter but can't locate it. Can anyone help?
Kurtpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Check your battery disconnect switch, make sure switch is in correct position " coach batteries connected to rig" we have also heard of bad connections on that switch, which is generally located in the convenience center

Added: with this switch in the wrong position rig batteries will also not charge on shore power
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum

Sounds like the dealer installed the gen? if so look at the gen, take the cover off and check the breakers on the left side. When the gen is running do you have any 110V power in the coach at all?

If memory serves me correct, the gen will charge the batteries straight back through the 12V wires for the gen to start.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I was assuming your generator was supplying 110 VAC but the batteries were not charging. I was also assuming the generator did not have a separate battery, ie started off the coach battery and was charged by the rig converter.

Do batteries charge when on shore power?
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #5
ChuckS

Wonder if he got it fixed. You guys tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
lt_cowboy

The converter on my 2016 Alpine can only be accessed by removing the center panel of the aft basement wall... Ours wasn't charging by any method, and it was discovered that both 40 amp reverse polarity fuses on the converter were blown either at factory or by the dealer. When I upgrade the converter, I'm going to relocate it to a location that can be easily serviced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
lt_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

lt_cowboy,

For the sake of clarity on the forum. You're talking about the CONverter (not the INverter).

CONverters change 120VAC into 12VDC to charge batteries and operate the 12 volt system in your trailer.

INverters change 12VDC into 120 VAC to operate things that typically are only available when connected to shore power. Things like the microwave, TV, air conditioner, possibly the refrigerator (typically if it's a compressor style refrigerator).

When you stated the reverse polarity fuses were blown, that indicated to most that you're describing the CONverter.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:16 AM   #8
lt_cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
lt_cowboy,

For the sake of clarity on the forum. You're talking about the CONverter (not the INverter).

CONverters change 120VAC into 12VDC to charge batteries and operate the 12 volt system in your trailer.

INverters change 12VDC into 120 VAC to operate things that typically are only available when connected to shore power. Things like the microwave, TV, air conditioner, possibly the refrigerator (typically if it's a compressor style refrigerator).

When you stated the reverse polarity fuses were blown, that indicated to most that you're describing the CONverter.
Thanks for the CORrection. I was in a hurry. Fixed for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
lt_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator