Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
Milty911

Newbie up in here..

Hello from Red Deer, Alberta, Canada!!
Rode to Sturgis a couple years in a row with my very beautiful, forgiving wife. I have a Softail and she rides a Dyna. Once was a heat wave,the next year was a torrential downpour for most of the ride down. Once down there, we stayed in an air conditioned cabin and happened to notice that there were some pretty cool trailers with garages. Excuse me for sounding ignorant but I had never seen these before and had no idea how cool they had become..
I have looked and kicked tires for the last two years and decided based on the pick up we currently own, the most trailer we could hope to haul is a light weight toy hauler travel trailer and try it on. Now which one? We started researching and found many I liked but realistically options were few. I really wanted a slide but didn't want to break the bank so that meant for me the Impact 303 was out. The low end of the scale was the XLR Hyperlight, I liked it however the dlinks were chicken sh*t and that proved to be a deal breaker, I read some reviews and to correct the problem people would drop the tank and weld to the frame, something I thought looked like a pain in the butt and should have been done from factory. I liked the Vengeance 300v but I couldn't haul it realistically so it was out. I thought I would check out where they sold Raptors and stumbled across the Carbon line. I love the 31 but I can't haul it. So I had a realistic look at the 27 and because of the rear queen and the walk through sofas coupled with the dry weight of 6768 this is one I could haul with our 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman with the trailer package and the 5.7 hemi and 3.92 gears. I can haul10150. However with the slide calculator it looks like I'm rated as two 150 pound people so when all is said and done and you factor payload I may have to run along outside the truck as to not be overweight lol. I am new here and looking forward to seeing your pics and your mods. I pick it up Friday and the straight to Future Shop to replace speakers inside and out. I'm a bit of a techy so I need to grab a couple tvs and mounts. I may upgrade the deck if this proves to be something that doesn't play dvd and Bluetooth. I think I like the boltiton product as my wheel chock, I have called Richard and I think his product would give me the best piece of mind coupled with the welded rings to the frame of the Carbon 27 that our pimped out bikes deserve.
Milty911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

And congrats on your new purchase.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

to the forum from W TX and congrats on the new rig. Sounds like you've been doing your homework. The Ram 1500/5.7/3.92 is a capable rig - I owned one.

You've probably crunched the numbers but keep in mind;

Your truck is "rated" to tow 10,150. The trailer weighs 6768 and has a payload of 4222,or max trailer of 10,990 - well over your tow limit so watch what you load. I don't know what the two bikes weigh (maybe 800 each?) but that will give you a significant load right away.

The payload for your truck will be about 1500lbs. The dry hitch weight of the trailer is 830 and will go up - probably significantly. Whatever it comes to it must come off the payload. You will have less than 500lbs of payload left for the truck if that much....the weakness of the 1/2 ton.

Load wisely (take only what you have to have), weigh it all at the scales, be safe, and most of all....have fun!

I pulled a 9000lb trailer with the same truck and that was all she (or I) wanted - bought a new 3/4 ton.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
Milty911

Thank you for the welcome. Sourdough, you worked it out to a T. I forgot about the damn hitch weight. Thought I had it worked out. I guess the ol'lady will have to continue bringing throw away underwear…lol
I look forward to learning more tips and tricks from all you salty veterans!
Milty911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Yep. When I was trying to pack light I posed the throw away underwear thing to my wife She promptly informed me that at my age I can't see well enough to know if they were throw away or not.....and went right out and unloaded my fishing gear
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote