Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
Kbarnes

Setting up satellite reciever

So we just got a new 2018 loreado trailer and I was setting up the satellite receiver to the tv.. only thing is I have no idea why but it is not working. I had set up a tv and receiver outside and did a straight hook up without the trailer ports.. I have perfect signal..

But when setting it up in the trailer it is telling me I have 0 service!! This is beyond frusterating! Any one have any thoughts on how it might set up properl so I can have satellite inside the trailer??

Okay, so I should say that behind the tv in the livingroom I have 3 different coax ports, I have tried all 3 ports, also the bedroom has 1 port.. I tried that one aswell. I am still getting no signal from the dish to receiver. I am almost positive that it's the wiring in the trailer somewhere.
I did hook up the covax cable from the dish to the satellite prep port on the outside the trailer. It also has another covax port on the outside that is not labeled (yes I tried that one too)

The model # 380MB
Kbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

I assume your unit has a “SAT IN” coax port on the outside somewhere. You have to run the coax to that port, then go inside to the main (living area) TV. Look at the coax from the TV and trace it back to the coax outlet that it’s connected to. If there is another coax outlet, that is the SAT signal. You run a coax from that outlet to the reciever and then from the reciever to the TV.

We don’t sell your model, so I’m guessing at your specific set up.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
BigTexRex

Assuming you're connected to the Sat connection you probably have a loose coax connection somewhere in the RV. You don't state what type of rig you have, but that may enable others to help you that have the same RV. Make sure you snug all connections you find with a box wrench to ensure a tight connection. For example, the input connection has a coax connection behind it and so does the connection that your sat receiver connects to. All RV brands are known for having loose coax connections that cause extreme frustrations for those trying to get satellites to work.
BigTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #4
Frank G

From my signature you see we have a Laredo 325RL and the satellite wiring works fine. The first thing we did was run a cable through the window to set up the dish pointing. When everything was working we routed the signal through the Satellite port in the service center, then found the satellite port in back of the main TV. Even though our unit has 3 TV's only the main TV has a satellite port.

On the TV in the bedroom we have a fire stick and a Roku. Our winter park has state of the art Wi-Fi and we run a repeater with a privet network. This coming season we will probably drop the DirecTV satellite thing and go with Spectrum on the Roku.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:09 AM   #5
Kbarnes

Yes, I have signal from the dish.. as I made sure by setting it up outside with a tv without using the trailer ports. But when I put the dish covax Into the trailer satellite prep, and set up receiver in the trailer on the main tv.. it tells me I have no signal. I have tried all 3 ports on the wall and also the one in the bedroom.. And still nothing. I have a 380mb model.. I'm at a loss as what or how to get it set up. Everything I have read says something about jumping cables.. But I have no clue.
Kbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #6
Mikendebbie

satellite connex

I had the same issue on my 2017 Laredo 330RL. Dish Tailgater would not work when connected thru the satellite port in the docking station. One time I performed a test using the park cable connected to the "sat input" and also put the living room TV hooked up the the "satellite" connection, and low and behold the cable signal had enough inherent power in the coax (amps, watts or whatever) to "push" the signal thru the splitters to the TV...therefore I knew there was "continuity" in the system.

It is my understanding that the Tailgater works off of very low power transferred thru the coax from the "black box" (in my case Dish VIP 211z) to the tailgater. The power level is so low that it can not "push thru" any splitters. Most likely there is a splitter behind the docking station and another "in-wall splitter" behind each TV (see pics below). I have the same issue on my 2018 Montana. For both my Laredo and the Montana - I use the flat-white coax connector run thru a nearby window and dangle the ugly exposed coax from the window to my black box.

There are many threads on this here and over at the Montana Forum. Some folks have successfully pulled a dedicated coax thru the wall to service the Dish black box. Some folks have drilled a hole thru the fiberglass directly behind the TV and set up a direct connection (nicely caulked) to serve the living room TV. DW hates the black coax dangling from the window to the TV - but she doesn't want me drilling holes in our new RV either. Being the lazy bass terd that I am - I have not been motivated to try to pull a dedicated coax thru the wall to feed the TV. A few weekends ago I played with the main/first splitter in the Montana, and i tried to hookup a direct connection bypassing the splitter using the cables from Keystone. I was able to get the Dish signal to my black box - but by removing the cable from the splitter I also effectively disabled the signal for the park cable and antenna signal...meaning a single coax feed the living room TV for all signals . My guess is that more splitters and less coax is cheaper for Keystone. I put everything back to the way Keystone installed it and fed my cable thru the window. I quit...I give up for now!

All I can tell you is that the direct hookup thru a nearby window is an easy sure thing. The 8" long white/flat coax connector is available a Camping World for ~$12.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-10_12-17-07.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	16364  
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #7
MattE303

Yup, what MikenDebbie said is probably the issue. I don't understand how Keystone thinks it okay to call it "satellite prep" when they use splitters that don't pass power. Most popular portable satellite dishes get their power through the same coax line that delivers the satellite signal to the receiver. This was the case with my Keystone Carbon toy hauler. I replaced their wiring with my own 10 foot coax run that goes directly (no splitters) from the convenience center "satellite prep" (input) coax connector to the "satellite prep" coax connector behind the living room tv and it works great. It really wasn't very difficult, just had to unscrew the coax wall plates, disconnect Keystone's coax cables, remove a couple of cover panels to access the "basement" area when the cables are routed, pull my new cable thru and hook it to the existing coax wall plates.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #8
JRL19

Jrl19

Yes, I have done the trough the window solution. Keystone treats this problem like a "HOT" potato. I'm going to look into running a dedicated cable line. Nice to know were not alone. HAPPY TRAVELS
JRL19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:42 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Use a passthrough bulkhead RG6 connector and use a short piece of coax on the inside near your receiver. Eliminate the Keystone coax.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NJ14LW...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 02:50 AM   #10
bomberchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Use a passthrough bulkhead RG6 connector and use a short piece of coax on the inside near your receiver. Eliminate the Keystone coax.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NJ14LW...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

This is exactly what I did 2 days after buying our rig. Looks factory and no messing with the bad factory cabling. I used a black piece to match the black components on our fifth wheel.

Name:	0109AE5B-49BF-4757-A4E6-F289C1CA4620.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	31225
bomberchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #11
BookPaul74

I did something similar but for a different reason. The Wineguard Dish Playmaker works through the Satellite feed but you have to unscrew two 3” caps for the wire. And since I boondock most of the time, I don’t want to have rodents getting in. I added a through wall connector and just moved the coaxial cable to it. When I get home I hav a bunch of splinters and cable to rehook it up.

The next project is to get the adapters to split the HDMI in two and see if I can feed it to the rear bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DE1A70B7-0277-4A86-B5C4-A0519327318D.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	31268  
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:23 AM   #12
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookPaul74 View Post
The next project is to get the adapters to split the HDMI in two and see if I can feed it to the rear bedroom.
This is the splitter I used to run HDMI to bedroom TV

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ran 50 foot HDMI cable to the bedroom and it worked fine. Installed a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug and a cell phone charger to get 5 volts to power the splitter. Made my own adaptor cable to make the power connection.
Hblick48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:54 PM   #13
Army

For the price you pay you should not have to bypass the factory wiring. However Keystone does not appear to know how to wire satellite as my 2015 Alpine was full of splitters and cable going everywhere and my 2018 Carbon had 2 satellite connections outside both going to the backside of a splitter in the bedroom ceiling with the in connection going to the wall plate. Keystone should be ashamed of this shoddy workmanship on this and many other build quality issues, after having 3 keystones nothing has improved and I likely will never buy another one.
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:05 AM   #14
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookPaul74 View Post
I did that too, worked out really nicely. I routed the HDMI cable through the back of the 'living room' entertainment center (where the satellite receiver sits underneath the tv), thru the basement, then up through the cavity for the master bathroom pocket door, to an HDMI wallplate I added next to the TV mounting plate area, looks totally factory. I only had to drill one hole, to go thru the floor from the basement storage area into the pocket door cavity.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:26 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

There are "wireless" HDMI extenders/splitters available also. Naturally, they are at a higher price point.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:25 PM   #16
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
There are "wireless" HDMI extenders/splitters available also. Naturally, they are at a higher price point.

Going to have to check into that. I have a front living room and rear bedroom, no easy way to run the HMDI cable.
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:27 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Here's Amazon & Walmart's offerings. I'm sure you can find them at Bestbuy or other retailers as well. There's also an HDMI converter that transmits over cat5 Ethernet cable if that's easier to run.

https://www.amazon.com/wireless-hdmi/s?k=wireless+hdmi

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=Wireless%20hdmi
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite