Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2016, 10:03 PM   #1
GunandBible

2016 Keystone Hideout

I have had three 5th wheels and just sold mine today. I have spotted me a 2016 Keystone Hideout for $26,000. I then was flooded with all negatives about the Hideout and Keystone in general. I see a lot of Keystone and everyone seems happy with them.

My question is if the Hideout is the bottom of the barrel so to speak and should I spend money I don't have for say a Montana? I am not a small guy so I need good quality so I am not tearing things up with my "not so tiny" frame.

What say the experts?
GunandBible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:34 AM   #2
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunandBible View Post
I have had three 5th wheels and just sold mine today. I have spotted me a 2016 Keystone Hideout for $26,000. I then was flooded with all negatives about the Hideout and Keystone in general. I see a lot of Keystone and everyone seems happy with them.

My question is if the Hideout is the bottom of the barrel so to speak and should I spend money I don't have for say a Montana? I am not a small guy so I need good quality so I am not tearing things up with my "not so tiny" frame.

What say the experts?
If you check the Keystone site you will see Hideout is above Bullet on TTs but no Bullet 5ers. I am not familiar with the Hideout. My preference was a Montana but the 3/4 ton truck I had when looking last year would have been too far under payload to make me happy so we bought a Cougar 5er and really like it. I bought a new F350 so will move in a couple years. Doubt I'll return to FR in the future. Cougar seems to be middle of the line along with a few others. Avalanche and Montana High Country are listed as 'premium' and Alpine and Montana as luxury. We are probably 2 years away but are looking at the Avalanche 380 FL as the front living room caught our eye.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:31 PM   #3
mtofell

I was skeptical for the same reasons but my wife loved the floor plan of our Hideout so I got it. So far it's been virtually trouble free and I'm pleasantly surprised at the creature comforts and features that come with an entry level trailer.

I've always wondered if the higher end model lines from a given brand actually get more time and attention or if it's just more and nicer stuff. My experience with the Hideout leads me to think it's the latter but my sample size of 1 is hardly statistically significant. For the money I paid I'm extremely happy.... so far
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:28 PM   #4
Pigeons101

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunandBible View Post

What say the experts?

Plan on getting a hideout 308bhds, I have spent days researching what I could and looked at almost every floor plan in person, the price does raise some questions. It's built just like the Cougars, being we don't need a really nice camper and only need the basics the hideout is our pick.

Now as far as the build its built good (just like a cougar), it has a lower price point bc it's missing what all the expensive fifth wheels have. The ceiling is lower, not a lot of extras, you know "basic".
Pigeons101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:42 PM   #5
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeons101 View Post
Plan on getting a hideout 308bhds, I have spent days researching what I could and looked at almost every floor plan in person, the price does raise some questions. It's built just like the Cougars, being we don't need a really nice camper and only need the basics the hideout is our pick.

Now as far as the build its built good (just like a cougar), it has a lower price point bc it's missing what all the expensive fifth wheels have. The ceiling is lower, not a lot of extras, you know "basic".
You need to take a look at the Cougars,,

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 08-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

There are some significant differences in the way the Hideout and the Cougar are built. The biggest difference is the material used in framing. Hideout is constructed with poplar and spruce (wood frame) while the Cougar is welded aluminum construction. While wood frame trailers are not "inferior" they do have some issues that you won't find in aluminum frame construction. Which is "better" ?? Neither is "better" but they are "different"... As far as "quality" is concerned, both are built on similar RV assembly lines by workers that receive similar training, use similar appliances and install components using similar techniques and materials. So, they are "similar" but they also are "very different".

Of course there are other significant differences between the Hideout and the Cougar, but with that said, neither is "better" or "worse", and both fill a need in the RV price lineup.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:51 PM   #7
Pigeons101

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are some significant differences in the way the Hideout and the Cougar are built. The biggest difference is the material used in framing. Hideout is constructed with poplar and spruce (wood frame) while the Cougar is welded aluminum construction. While wood frame trailers are not "inferior" they do have some issues that you won't find in aluminum frame construction. Which is "better" ?? Neither is "better" but they are "different"... As far as "quality" is concerned, both are built on similar RV assembly lines by workers that receive similar training, use similar appliances and install components using similar techniques and materials. So, they are "similar" but they also are "very different".

Of course there are other significant differences between the Hideout and the Cougar, but with that said, neither is "better" or "worse", and both fill a need in the RV price lineup.

Yes the tt is wood framed, but the rv in question is the fifth whell, which is aluminum framed.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:54 PM   #8
Pigeons101

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
You need to take a look at the Cougars,,
At what part? fifth wheel bud not tt. Most all the keystone 5ers bones are built the same.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Yes the tt is wood framed, but the rv in question is the fifth whell, which is aluminum framed.
No, it is NOT aluminum framed. The SIDEWALLS (laminated construction) is aluminum framed. The floor is constructed of 2x3 spruce joists, the front and rear structure are constructed of 1x2 and 2x2 spruce components and the roof "rafters" are wooden. The only part of the Hideout fifth wheel that is constructed with aluminum is the lamination parts which is the sidewalls. Otherwise, it's a "wooden framed fifth wheel trailer.

ADDED: Don't get me wrong, the Hideout fifth wheel is a "well built Keystone fifth wheel" (built with essentially the same "quality" as all the other brands) produced by Keystone, but there are some significant differences that extend beyond the "different upholstery, cushions and appliances. Open the front storage compartment on a Cougar, look up at the construction above your head, then open the front compartment on a Hideout and compare what you'll see. Either one is a "good trailer", but not built with the same framing materials.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #10
therink

Keep in mind that models like Montana, Alpine, etc. are an entirely different animal and price point. These upper level trailers have 12" drop frames and are considered full profile fifth wheels. They are generally built better, have heavier frames and suspension. The higher the gvwr of the model, the better the trailer and more truck is required to handle it.
My next rig will certainly have a 12" frame and 7k axles, G rated tires, etc. The foundation is what is important.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:57 AM   #11
AussieCanadian

Hi folks,

Very interested in this thread and am also curious to hear from any Hideout 5th wheel owners out there. What's been your experience? Any "build quality" issues? I'm interested in a 295BHS Hideout 5th that is for sale here in Alberta, Canada, as it's great value and LOVE the floorplan.

Interesting about the note RE: construction, because when I looked up at the floor frame (which can be seen above the pass-through storage), the frame was definitely welded aluminum in that area - perhaps that's just the front floor? I've also seen review videos which show this, and talk about Aluminum construction on the Hideout 5th.

1 difference is that I believe that the Hideout sidewalls are pinch rolled, not vacuum-bonded like on Cougar and higher levels. Pinch rolling is a less expensive process I believe, which cuts down on build costs.
AussieCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:33 PM   #12
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Do you like Fords or Chevys and why, both get you from point a to point b so why is one better than the other? It is all in the preference. I do have a Hideout TT, new, no major issues. Just a few small stuff. So I am happy with it.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:52 AM   #13
AussieCanadian

So, I wanted to post an update...

We pulled the trigger and went ahead with the Hideout 295BHS purchased from a local dealer here in Calgary, Canada. We thought it offered simply a great floorplan at a great value (we scored an extra discount as it was a 2016 model).

Firstly, we upgraded from our Passport 2400BH which is considered the "mid tier" in quality, to this (larger unit) but is the "entry level" in terms of how keystone rates the quality so we were a little skeptical and wary about a big unit of only entry level quality... Would it fall apart? Quantity over quality??

So far so good - we just returned from 2 weeks on the road where we put 1,600km on the unit (1,000 miles). Here are a few things we have noticed for those considering the Hideout fifth wheel:

* The upper forward subfloor is welded aluminum framed, and the main kitchen/living floor is wood framed, both covered with 5/8" OSB decking. Seems solid and well built for flooring.
* The sidewalls seem strong, again - aluminum framed, but one thing we noticed was that the gelcoat looked much thinner than on our Passport, not as glossy etc. Given, I haven't waxed the fifth wheel yet (I waxed our Passport four times a year) so it could be due to that as well. We will see how it stands up over time, but I am a great believer in using a quality wax often to maintain appearance (use collinite 845 - the BEST IMO).
* The appliances have all worked well - the fridge is the exact same Dometic unit as our Passport had, and the furnace is very quiet and seems to heat well. The heat to the bedroom isn't great, but we plugged in a small radiant heater to add additional heating. Not a major problem for us.
* Inside the quality seems very good for the price, although it's obviously more basic inside (wood cabinets not as nice, fittings seems cheaper, no privacy glass windows etc) than our Passport.
* The floorplan is amazing - HUGE amount of storage and very open. We sat 2 families inside when it was raining and we're all comfortable. This Hideout had more storage than other brands of the same floorplan we looked at (Eg Sabre 28bh, Jayco 29.5bhds) so we are really happy with storage!
* Unit tows well, although some fore/aft "jerking" in present. We have ordered a Reese 5th airborne pin box to replace the standard Lippert 1621 rigid box that it comes with (prob just one way they get the price so low on the Hideout?)

... More details as we continue to camp, but to those shopping for a fifth wheel at a great value price, don't let the "Hideout" (entry level) name deter you - these seem like well built units and we are happy with our purchase so far!
Old 09-10-2016, 08:43 PM   #14
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCanadian View Post
So, I wanted to post an update...

We pulled the trigger and went ahead with the Hideout 295BHS purchased from a local dealer here in Calgary, Canada. We thought it offered simply a great floorplan at a great value (we scored an extra discount as it was a 2016 model).

Firstly, we upgraded from our Passport 2400BH which is considered the "mid tier" in quality, to this (larger unit) but is the "entry level" in terms of how keystone rates the quality so we were a little skeptical and wary about a big unit of only entry level quality... Would it fall apart? Quantity over quality??

So far so good - we just returned from 2 weeks on the road where we put 1,600km on the unit (1,000 miles). Here are a few things we have noticed for those considering the Hideout fifth wheel:

* The upper forward subfloor is welded aluminum framed, and the main kitchen/living floor is wood framed, both covered with 5/8" OSB decking. Seems solid and well built for flooring.
* The sidewalls seem strong, again - aluminum framed, but one thing we noticed was that the gelcoat looked much thinner than on our Passport, not as glossy etc. Given, I haven't waxed the fifth wheel yet (I waxed our Passport four times a year) so it could be due to that as well. We will see how it stands up over time, but I am a great believer in using a quality wax often to maintain appearance (use collinite 845 - the BEST IMO).
* The appliances have all worked well - the fridge is the exact same Dometic unit as our Passport had, and the furnace is very quiet and seems to heat well. The heat to the bedroom isn't great, but we plugged in a small radiant heater to add additional heating. Not a major problem for us.
* Inside the quality seems very good for the price, although it's obviously more basic inside (wood cabinets not as nice, fittings seems cheaper, no privacy glass windows etc) than our Passport.
* The floorplan is amazing - HUGE amount of storage and very open. We sat 2 families inside when it was raining and we're all comfortable. This Hideout had more storage than other brands of the same floorplan we looked at (Eg Sabre 28bh, Jayco 29.5bhds) so we are really happy with storage!
* Unit tows well, although some fore/aft "jerking" in present. We have ordered a Reese 5th airborne pin box to replace the standard Lippert 1621 rigid box that it comes with (prob just one way they get the price so low on the Hideout?)

... More details as we continue to camp, but to those shopping for a fifth wheel at a great value price, don't let the "Hideout" (entry level) name deter you - these seem like well built units and we are happy with our purchase so far!
Congratulations on your new 5er. There is no reason to doubt the quality of your 5er. There is no reason to believe you will not continue to be happy with kit for many years.You explained the price point better than a salesman could. Most do not care about the price as much as which one works the best for their current situation. Floor plan and storage are most important to my wife. Cougar stopped building my model in 2016. We like our Cougar but at this time there is not a floor plan that we would find acceptable in the Cougar line.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 09-12-2016, 08:35 PM   #15
mtofell

I'm still loving my 2016 Hideout 308BHDS. I'm coming up on a year and have really had nothing at all go wrong. Not even any little things that come to mind which is amazing in my book. Even with a different model 5th wheel I have virtually no heat to the bedroom either. It's a non-issue for me/us since my wife hates to listen to the furnace. I picked up a little mini oil-filled radiator and it works great.

I definitely realize there are limitations though. There's no way this thing would hold up to full time heavy use. But for a weekend or two a month and a few weeks in the summer I think it's great.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #16
AussieCanadian

Thanks for the responses - hopefully these also go to help the op in the original post?

It's certainly great to hear from other Hideout 5th owners. So far we love ours. We actually plan to full time in our 295BHS (just for the summer months anyway) in 2017, so fingers crossed it works well for us. Our plan is to drive across Canada and some parts of the U.S. Lots of planning for a big trip like that!

Now, back to waxing this HUGE unit! (My arms are about the fall off)!