Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #1
dsttexas

PullRight SuperGlide question

Moving from a long bed truck to a short bed 6' 7", and considering the Superglide hitch.

Looking for experiences in removing the hitch to give a flat floor, and how difficult that is. Owners guide shows a lot of disassembly, and expect weight is more than one person can handle.

My existing long bed setup is a B&W Companion that has a shank that fits into the gooseneck hole, and the whole thing is lifted out and replaced using a winch with steel cable loops at the four corners of the platform. Then store the whole thing on a furniture dolly. Anyone tried something like this with the Superglide, or is the disassembly and manual process not that big a deal?
Old 04-29-2016, 07:53 AM   #2
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsttexas View Post
Moving from a long bed truck to a short bed 6' 7", and considering the Superglide hitch.

Looking for experiences in removing the hitch to give a flat floor, and how difficult that is. Owners guide shows a lot of disassembly, and expect weight is more than one person can handle.

My existing long bed setup is a B&W Companion that has a shank that fits into the gooseneck hole, and the whole thing is lifted out and replaced using a winch with steel cable loops at the four corners of the platform. Then store the whole thing on a furniture dolly. Anyone tried something like this with the Superglide, or is the disassembly and manual process not that big a deal?

I have a Ford F250 with a 6.5 ft box. When from a Reese Slider with the old trailer to a 15K Pullrite Superglide..

I love it !! Best hitch ever.. I can 90 degree the trailer and not hit the cab of the truck.

Make sure are straight hitching up as they can turn if not. Also company rep told me to only and always lube the sliders with WD40 and nothing else.
I clean the sliders each morning and respray.

If you are turned and cannot release the hitch, you just pull out a couple of pins and the hitch head is lifted out of the hitch which you can put back later.

Also there is a locking bolt and nut at the front of the hitch. Make sure it is adjusted so that it takes two hand to centre or turn the hitch. This prevents the hitch from turning on connection.

I would never own any other type !!

Bill
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
bobbecky

We have the ISR model 2900, 18K, and have removed it from the bed a number of times. I just used some rope, tied to the four corners and lift it with a winch, and re-install the same way. It's a great hitch, just keep it lubed as instructed in the owner's manual, and keep it adjusted so it doesn't bang around due to a loose adjustment bolt. I just had to replace the guide cam roller as it wore out. Pullrite provided it free, just needed to pay shipping. That is the one part that doesn't have an obvious way to lube.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:52 AM   #4
halfprice

I have the hitch and as others have said its great and the only one I would use.

Now to answer your question. The hitch does not have to be taken apart to remove if you have the removable rail set up. I just pull 4 pins that hold the hitch to the rails. Wrap 2 tow straps that I got at harbor freight for $5 or $6 each and run them through the hitche. I then use a motor hoist to lift the hitch over the rails. I did have to get a longer bar for the hoist so it would lift the hitch straight up. I then roll the hoist back and lower the hitch onto a wheeled cart. I also put the rails on the cart and the 4 pins that hold the rails to the bed. I keep the cart with the hitch/rails on it inside my garage. Help keep it clean and safe.

I also spray the rails with WD-40 first to clean them and then again to lube before attaching to the trailer. I use paper towels to clean

This is the hoist I use. I got it on sale at harbor freight for $80 I wouldn't pay $180 for it. Wait for a sale or search on craigslist.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-c...ane-69512.html

I have a bad back so lifting it without the hitch isn't going to happen. With the hoist I can do this myself with no problems.

Hope this helped you and answered your questions.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
Bill & Deb

This is my post on how I remove my hitch.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...779#post176779
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #6
PerryB

I think the SuperGlide is a clever design, but they are expensive and heavy. They are somewhat clunky in operation and cannot pull an unmodified trailer without a lockout being installed. Also, a conventional 5th wheel hitch cannot pull your trailer due to the index pin that is installed behind the kingpin. If your Montana has a radiused nose you'll probably never need a slider anyway. I towed mine with a shortbox and a Draw-tite slider to Alaska, Canada twice and across the upper mid-west three times and never once needed to slide the hitch. It would not make a full 90 degrees, but probably at least 75 if not 80, and that's more than you'll ever need. I've probably ruffled some feathers (who,me??) but you asked for opinions and that's mine.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:51 AM   #7
old timer

I have the B&W companion in y F350 short box and I have no problem turning sharp. I have about 3 inches of clearance at about 45 degrees which is as close as the trailer would get to the cab. No issues so far. I like the hitch as there is a arm that's attached to the jaws. That way you know when they are locked.
It comes apart in 2 pieces. The top is light but the base is a little heavy but i can remove it by myself without a hoist. I put a piece of plywood in the bed to set the shank on as to not damage the bed liner. then just slide it out.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:02 AM   #8
PerryB

Are you just leaving the shank hanging in place for convenience? I ask because if you're able to pull the release pin without loosening the U-bolts and the draw-down, you're not installing the hitch properly and it's loose in the bed and can rock.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #9
dcg9381

Perry, can you be more specific? Like indicated above, I pull 4 pins from the "frame" releasing the hitch assembly and then you have to get the 200-250lb setup out.

The Superglide does have a decent amount of "chucking" - I assumed it was the nature of the geared beast...

But I'm beginning to wonder based on your post...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:57 PM   #10
PerryB

I was talking to Oldtimer about his B&W Companion hitch. Different animal.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:12 PM   #11
halfprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
I think the SuperGlide is a clever design, but they are expensive and heavy. They are somewhat clunky in operation and cannot pull an unmodified trailer without a lockout being installed. Also, a conventional 5th wheel hitch cannot pull your trailer due to the index pin that is installed behind the kingpin. If your Montana has a radiused nose you'll probably never need a slider anyway. I towed mine with a shortbox and a Draw-tite slider to Alaska, Canada twice and across the upper mid-west three times and never once needed to slide the hitch. It would not make a full 90 degrees, but probably at least 75 if not 80, and that's more than you'll ever need. I've probably ruffled some feathers (who,me??) but you asked for opinions and that's mine.
Perry,
No feathers ruffled and I agree with most of what you said. I had to think a long time about which hitch to get and decided on the super glide. After spending over $40k for a new truck and buying the 5th it just wasn't worth the small chance of turning to far or turning into a parking lot that had a steep driveway. Just thinking about having the trailer smack the back window just scared me. So I spent the extra money and never looked back. I guess it all comes down to what makes you sleep good at night. Very happy with the slider.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #12
PerryB

I'm glad no offense was taken by you for my opinion piece. Its an ingeniously designed hitch and you don't have to remember to slide it, and you don't have to get out of the cab. You're right about the relative cost of the hitch. It probably costs $1000 more than a manual slider, which isn't that much when you have $80-100K wrapped up in the truck and trailer.
More than once in life I've settled for a "just get by" item because I told myself that I just couldn't justify the cost of the item I really wanted, and every time I regretted it. On the occasions I ponied up for the "good " item up front I've never had any buyers remorse or second thoughts. Somewhere I read "The bitterness of poor qualiy far outlives the sting of a high price". Not a perfect analogy but settling for less than desired is somewhat the same thing.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:10 PM   #13
dfb
Gone Traveling

With the RAM and the 6"4" bed, I have hit the cab with the Anderson.. The pull rite can be easily removed by unpinning the hitch and using the Fifth Wheel to lift it out of the bed.. I then have a platform to set it on or to unhitch the hitch and move it.. The platform has wheels....
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:10 AM   #14
phinner

I have an '02 F250 short bed with an 18K Pullrite. I wanted to be able to pull the hitch solo, but can't use the portion of garage that's left after adding a couple of rooms to it. What I did was purchased a deer hoist from Amazon for $99 that goes into the trucks receiver. It swivels 360 degrees, so once the hitch is off the rails I just swing it around and drop it onto a moving dolly and store it under the trailer.

It does have its little faults that I have learned to work around. The handle could be beefier and the arm is a little short. So, I throw a short piece of plywood behind the back rail and slide the hitch back until it's under the hoist. The rest is cake work. I haven't had any problems with it and it stores neatly next to the beer fridge in the "garage."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003TP...40_FMwebp_QL65

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Bruce & Tami
Carmichael, CA
'12 Cougar 28SGS, '18 Ford F250 CCSB, 6.7
3 kids, 6 G-kids, 3.1 dogs, 2 cats
phinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:34 AM   #15
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
With the RAM and the 6"4" bed, I have hit the cab with the Anderson.. The pull rite can be easily removed by unpinning the hitch and using the Fifth Wheel to lift it out of the bed.. I then have a platform to set it on or to unhitch the hitch and move it.. The platform has wheels....
Does your 5th have radius-ed corners? Is have the Anderson, and it has the pin box so close to the tailgate it can't possibly go back any farther. I'm just curios as to what your configuration is that you made contact.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:06 AM   #16
dfb
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
Does your 5th have radius-ed corners? Is have the Anderson, and it has the pin box so close to the tailgate it can't possibly go back any farther. I'm just curios as to what your configuration is that you made contact.
We have a new MONTANA 3610 legacy.. It does have the rounded corners. The trailer got damage on the side of the rounded corner on the fifth wheel side of cap.. I was at a true 90 degrees. The rear window broke on the cab and cab got dented. I have pics on here. 2200 miles on a new 70k truck!
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:36 AM   #17
dsttexas

When you pull the hitch from the bed of the truck, are you left with a fully flat floor or are there braces or connectors still there?
Old 05-18-2016, 06:36 PM   #18
J-Dub34

New to a 5th wheel. I purchased the ISR mounted 18k 2900 Pullrite Slider. The rails and mounts come out and I have a clean bed. My only complaint is the ISR style is very tall. My truck is a new GM which is already tall. So between those two issues my trailer sits pretty high in the front. Just something to keep in mind. I called Pullrite and apparently the 24k ISR style is actually shorter, but a heck of a lot more expensive. The hitch is awesome though.
J-Dub34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:56 AM   #19
hawkeyestoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dub34 View Post
New to a 5th wheel. I purchased the ISR mounted 18k 2900 Pullrite Slider. The rails and mounts come out and I have a clean bed. My only complaint is the ISR style is very tall. My truck is a new GM which is already tall. So between those two issues my trailer sits pretty high in the front. Just something to keep in mind. I called Pullrite and apparently the 24k ISR style is actually shorter, but a heck of a lot more expensive. The hitch is awesome though.
You might take a look at these. They bring the hitch down 1.5" which should help. I think that I will end up getting them as well.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:03 AM   #20
J-Dub34

Thanks! I will look into this today after work. I thought the feet were already low but maybe not. 1-1/2 is about what I need! You think that tech support would have told me about these when I called...
J-Dub34 is offline   Reply With Quote