Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
gearhead

Waxing...live & learn

I thought I would hire out my spring wash & wax. I went by the local detail shop and found about what I expected. Two women that looked like jailbirds. I asked how much to wash & wax a 35ft. travel trailer? "$80". "$80??" "Yeah we just did a bus for that." Ok, I'll be back in a couple days. Well....you know what happened...I got the 5th there and the price changed to $200. Still was worth it I thought. I brought my own soap, wax, 8ft step ladder, etc. They said they would wash it that morning and wax it late that afternoon. The next afternoon it wasn't ready. Long story short I got it home the third day. Got to looking at it close and I could tell they waxed it in the hot sun. I could see the places where they squirted the wax on and didn't get it rubbed off.
So last night I tried using a spray detailer on it. No help. This morning I got the Mequiars Cleaner Wax and re-did the entire trailer.
I need to find a neighborhood kid next spring! Doubling up on my Alieve and glucosomine. lol
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:46 PM   #2
bsmith0404

That really sucks! Get a DA polisher like a Porter Cable 7424 XP, Meguiars MT300 or Griots 6". All are under $200, Autogeek has a pretty good sale. I personally use a Flex polisher, but they are a bit on the expensive side. If I were buying one just for a once or twice a year RV detail, I'd probably get the Griots. Get about eight 5.5"-6" orange foam polishing pads, I prefer the Lake Country CCS pads. Get a one step polish and sealant, I like Blackfire Total Polish and Seal. Finally, about 10 good quality microfiber towels. Your arms, back, and shoulders will thank you for it and your RV will never look better. All of these products are available on Autogeek.com, they also sell 303 products.

Although a 35'5th wheel can look like a daunting task to tackle, for me it's like therapy. I just relax and enjoy the process.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #3
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I thought I would hire out my spring wash & wax. I went by the local detail shop and found about what I expected. Two women that looked like jailbirds. I asked how much to wash & wax a 35ft. travel trailer? "$80". "$80??" "Yeah we just did a bus for that." Ok, I'll be back in a couple days. Well....you know what happened...I got the 5th there and the price changed to $200. Still was worth it I thought. I brought my own soap, wax, 8ft step ladder, etc. They said they would wash it that morning and wax it late that afternoon. The next afternoon it wasn't ready. Long story short I got it home the third day. Got to looking at it close and I could tell they waxed it in the hot sun. I could see the places where they squirted the wax on and didn't get it rubbed off.
So last night I tried using a spray detailer on it. No help. This morning I got the Mequiars Cleaner Wax and re-did the entire trailer.
I need to find a neighborhood kid next spring! Doubling up on my Alieve and glucosomine. lol
My thoughts are if they looked like jailbirds and at that cheap price I would ask myself "Should I trust my investment with them to save a few bucks?"
For all you know there could've been a buddy of theirs around the corner ready to hook up and have your trailer gone in minutes
Old 04-10-2016, 04:51 AM   #4
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
My thoughts are if they looked like jailbirds and at that cheap price I would ask myself "Should I trust my investment with them to save a few bucks?"
For all you know there could've been a buddy of theirs around the corner ready to hook up and have your trailer gone in minutes
My wife was paranoid to leave it there overnight, she thought the same thing. It's small town (pop: 8,000) very little actual crime. Living in a small town the issue usually is choice. Only one lumber yard, one supermarket plus WalMart, etc. The one other detail shop in town quoted me $700 last year. They obviously didn't want to do it. I'll give most folks a chance until they prove me wrong. These girls won't get anymore of my business.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:05 AM   #5
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
That really sucks! Get a DA polisher like a Porter Cable 7424 XP, Meguiars MT300 or Griots 6". All are under $200, Autogeek has a pretty good sale. I personally use a Flex polisher, but they are a bit on the expensive side. If I were buying one just for a once or twice a year RV detail, I'd probably get the Griots. Get about eight 5.5"-6" orange foam polishing pads, I prefer the Lake Country CCS pads. Get a one step polish and sealant, I like Blackfire Total Polish and Seal. Finally, about 10 good quality microfiber towels. Your arms, back, and shoulders will thank you for it and your RV will never look better. All of these products are available on Autogeek.com, they also sell 303 products.

Although a 35'5th wheel can look like a daunting task to tackle, for me it's like therapy. I just relax and enjoy the process.
I've got 2 no-name random orbits, a 6" and a 10". Last year I used Meguiars Premium Marine wax and really liked it. I bought some stuff from Autogeek, Klasse brand cleaner and sealer/glaze for the now gone Corvette. I usually use the small polisher to apply with a microfiber pad. I've never used a foam pad. For some reason I'm scared it will "cut" too much. Not sure if I need the waffle looking pads or flat ones. If I look at Griot's too long my Visa will be smoking.
I'll attack the Montana monster again this fall and do it right. Only real issue is I have some mildew stains on the front cap gray decals. Have to get 3 feet from it to see it. Maybe the foam pads and a cleaner ?
Old 04-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #6
dfb
Gone Traveling

This guy in Anaheim had a 5th wheel about 4 years old and still looked new. He just washes it and never waxed it. He claimed," once you wax them, you'll always be waxing them".
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Finally got in

Have been washing and waxing by hand, concerned about these buffers. But have to admit its getting old fast! Going to look into these buffers, thanks for the recommendations
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #8
rwmurphy15

Just waxed mine by hand did half one day the other half the next took a total of 5 hours. On the third day 303 the roof. I was afraid to use a buffer on the decals. Taking the wife's pain pills kept me going.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #9
Richard Noble

Interesting read. I intend to take on our 35' Challenger 5er this summer. It needs oxidation removal and wax. I'd also like to put a new decal on the front since I had to remove the Challenger one. I discovered that a hairdryer removes these decals nicely. I purchased a 6" hand orbiter from Harbor Freight and discovered that I cannot change the foam pad on it. It's useless.

I'd really like to find a front decal with lighting in it.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:41 PM   #10
TLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I've never used a foam pad. For some reason I'm scared it will "cut" too much. Not sure if I need the waffle looking pads or flat ones.
The foam pads are great, waffle ones are what we use in the dealership body shop where I work. They have been around since about 1993. Now we use air buffers an da's not electric so make sure you are using a slow speed when starting your waxing.

Have to watch for sharp edges and corners because you will shred the foam pad quickly if you contact something sharp.

Happy waxing

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #11
Mike484

I've been told to use a good marine wash and protectant and not to wax.
Is waxing even nessecary?

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #12
JoePK

Love this stuff!

I've been using this for a half a year now, and it cleans really good and leaves a nice long lasting shine. I like Meguiar's products, but I've been using this on my truck now too. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027M3A1U/...=gel+gloss#Ask
Old 04-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #13
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
I've been told to use a good marine wash and protectant and not to wax.
Is waxing even nessecary?
I think it's a big if....if you wash frequently, if it gets any protection from the sun, etc.
I keep an eye out at campgrounds and will ask the owner of a shiny rig what they use. The last one asked said he never has waxed it and just uses Meguairs car wash. It's the yellow soap, get it anywhere, it works real good. It's kinda snotty and you can tell it has a lot of wax in it. I don't think it will restore a far gone RV though.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:27 PM   #14
Mike484

I keep mine in covered storage so there isn't an issue with UV damage except when we are using it.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:47 PM   #15
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
I keep mine in covered storage so there isn't an issue with UV damage except when we are using it.
Mine's behind the house in my fenced off "junkyard". Fortunately when we built this house 6 years ago we built a side loading garage and extended the driveway a bit. At the time I just planned to park the little utility trailer there. I have since put some limestone there and keep the 5th, the utility trailer, storage barn, and the GoDevil boat there. It's fenced from the street view and the rest of the backyard with 6ft privacy fence. I get some late afternoon shade but otherwise it's wide open. Pretty tough on the trailer.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #16
bsmith0404

A few points:

A DA (dual action) buffer will not burn through paint. The orbital action combined with the friction stop (free spinning head which will actually stop spinning if too much pressure is applied) does not allow the paint to get hot enough like it can with a rotary polisher.

Foam pads are amazing, but you have to get the right one. They come in different grades of cutting power (color coded). A yellow pad is pretty coarse and will cut pretty quick when combined with a scratch removing cutting compound. On the other end of the spectrum is a gold pad which has no cut at all and is really only used to apply wax. I like the orange pads for removing oxidation along with a light cut polish. If your RV is inside a lot, a white or green pad will be sufficient. As for which design waffle pads are good, I like the Lake Country CCS pads because of how they hold/distribute the polish.

On the decals, I would most likely use a white pad with a light cut product. As an example, the Blackfire total polish and seal I mentioned earlier would work, or Blackfire SRC finishing polish. You would not want to use the Blackfire SRC compound. SRC is a Scratch Removal Compound that will cut pretty aggressively and possibly "haze" the decals.

Is waxing necessary? Using Megs Gold shampoo with wax is a good way to get some protection or to extend the useful life of the wax that you applied. Putting wax on your vehicles or RV is like putting sunscreen on your skin. It adds a layer of protection from the UV rays. Down in AZ/NM area it's easy to see the effects of not using a wax. You would be amazed how many cars have the clear coat almost completely blistered off. Most, if not all, of this could have been prevented by regular waxing. No such thing as once you use it, you have to keep using it. Just like sunscreen, wax will wear off/wash off leaving the original, unprotected finish behind. Adding wax does not alter the original finish.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:32 AM   #17
gearhead

^^^Great info. Thanks!!
Old 06-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #18
Cougar1957

I always use a good quality wash & wax product and it turns out real nice. Have never hand waxed any of my RV's. Don't know whether or not you should or shouldn't, just know that there is no way in hell I'm hand waxing that behemoth ha ha. Takes most of the day to wash the roof and then the rest of the rig.

Guy I know says he runs his truck and f'ver through a semi-truck wash on the way home from trips. Never thought of that. Anyone ever try that?
Reese 16K & Tekonsha PrimusIQ digital controller
The K9 crew: Ginger the terrier, Yorkies - Heidi & Dora, & Buddy the Chihuahua
Cougar1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

I would advise against using a truck pressure wash for an RV. There are way too many open vents (water heater, refrigerator (top and side), furnace and others, depending on appliances and design. High pressure water being sprayed against the side of your RV will enter the refrigerator vent causing water damage to the OSB and insulation and possibly cause damage to the electrical components as well. The furnace vent isn't designed for a "lateral spray of water" and you'll probably get a burner tube full of water. If it sits over the summer, you may not have a burner tube in the fall (rust). The water heater may or may not be damaged by high pressure water sprayed into the burner tube.

RV windows aren't really "up to the task" of preventing high pressure water from entering the RV and anybody who has been "over-zealous" with a garden hose will tell you how easy it is to spray water into the coach along the sides of most any slide.

If it were me, the closest I'd get to a truck wash is passing it in the parking lot. I'm really not sure if I'd even want to park next to one with my Cougar......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #20
Desert185

We spent 10 days in a park in Palm Springs in January 2015. They had a couple of mobile detailers approved for entering the park. After seeing what these guys did, I weighed the labor vs the $200 quote and went for it. I wish I had written down the name of the "special wax" they used. The results were beautiful and they even painted the steps! It is now 18 months later and it still looks great.

I use Top Gun Ultra Finish from Aircraft Spruce (P/N 09-00192) on my airplane, cars and motorcycle, and now will use it for the SRX. Easy to apply, UV blocker, lasts a long time, etc. Palm Springs was a good deal that I can't duplicate around here.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote