Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
arturob

Fridge problem in 2011 Cougar 322QBH

Yesterday i noticed that the fridge didnt seem to be very cold, but put it down to thee warm weather here in Yuma (90 outside). This morning when i got up the fridge was sitting at 65deg and rising and the freezer was no longer freezing, Did an inspection of the heating system - no yellow crud, flame is on, everything seemed fine. Switched to 110v - no change, so I started calling around looking for repairs. Since we are out at Ogilby Rd no one from Yuma was willing to come out but I did get some suggestions - turn it off for a couple of hours, hit heat exchanger pipes with rubber mallet, take fridge out and tilt it or turn it upside down! I tried shutting off and tapping but it didnt seem to do any good so I resigned myself to needing to replace the refridgerator guts. Got a quote for about $1000 for a new unit with a 2yr warranty and set up an appointment for Friday. Took stuff out of the fridge into a cooler but left the fridge on since it seemed to be keeping the freezer a little cool. About 4 hours later I just happend to check the fridge temp and it is down to 55. Freezer is now freezing nicely, Now what do I do????

I was told the likely problem was a blockage in the pipes circulating refrigerant. That it might clear up but would definitley happen again. I dont want to spend $1000 if I dont have to (living on a fixed income) but I also dont want to be stuck on a place where I am going to have to spend a lot more to fix the problem if it happens back in Canada.

Anyone have any wisdom to offer???
arturob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:40 PM   #2
bobbecky

Once the fridge has developed crystals in the coolant, it will continue to be a problem. It seems that the crystals form when the system gets too hot, like when run in an out of level position. We had the cooling unit replaced on ours a little over a year ago due to crystals, then lost that one to a leak, again replaced, and this time I installed an ARP device to keep the fridge working, and so far, it is doing the job. You can go to their web site to see if they make a model for your fridge. https://www.arprv.com/ I have no financial connection to this company, other than having purchased one of the devices from them.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:41 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

bobbecky's comments are similar to our experiences with past refrigerator cooling problems. Once a "blockage" begins, it usually doesn't resolve, and eventually will recur. Whether it happens again in a day, a week, a month or longer, eventually you'll need to replace your cooling unit. You might not have a problem for years to come, but then, maybe it'll happen again on the way home??? Who knows???

There are a number of companies that "rebuild" evaporative cooling units. Some do excellent work, some: not so good. Even the best will have an occasionally problem with their work. Do some research on the company you're considering, it may be important, since you reside in Canada, to be sure you can get warranty service on the unit once you return home. You sure don't want to find the replacement can't be serviced or replaced under warranty outside the US.

Good Luck with your decisions. Many of us have had the same type refrigerator problems, it's never fun but isn't the end of your refrigerator's life ...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
Steve S

I'm just going to jump in here and ask a question. What would the price difference be between replacing the evaporative cooling unit compared to just replacing the fridge?
I'm thinking that the fridge is getting old as well so why not just replace the whole thing?
Old 02-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
cw3jason

An even cheaper solution. Replace with a residential fridge.
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I'm just going to jump in here and ask a question. What would the price difference be between replacing the evaporative cooling unit compared to just replacing the fridge?
I'm thinking that the fridge is getting old as well so why not just replace the whole thing?
Rebuilt replacement unit for Dometic 2652 (current model 6cuft) $425
New replacement unit $655
New Dometic 2652 refrigerator $948 (at PPL RV Supply)

Rebuilt replacement unit for Dometic 2852 (current model 8cuft) $425New
Dometic 2852 refrigerator $1148 (at PPL RV Supply)

If there is nothing "wrong" with the current refrigerator "box", there's really no need to replace it as there's nothing "mechanical to wear out".

Prices vary with a "new cooling unit" from Dometic, the above pricing is for a "rebuilt cooling unit" from one source. Google is your friend, in finding pricing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #7
arturob

Wow!! those prices seem really good. I was quoted $1000 to replace the cooling unit on my existing fridge. Where did you get those prices and how much would install be?
After I posted originally the fridge started working again and now seems to be fine. Consensus seems to be that once a blockage has occurred it will happen again so I will need to replace the fridge at some point so I'm trying to figure out the cheapest solution
Old 02-19-2016, 08:55 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Consider is as "my opinion" but if it is currently working, I'd smile and keep towing... It may work for years before it fails again, but on the other hand, it may stop again tomorrow... It's a chance you take. I'd gamble if it were me.

The prices listed are from online stores that sell via the internet as well as have established "land stores"... I would be hesitant to buy from an "internet only" business.

The prices do not include shipping (usually around $50) nor installation, usually around $200-300). So, the quotes you got aren't "that far off" and based on the labor rate where you're located, may be "spot on"....

Honestly, if you're "somewhat mechanically inclined" and don't have a bad back (the refrigerator is heavy), with an assistant to help, you can replace it yourself in a day. It's not "secret magic" but rather watching a couple of YouTube instructional videos and reading through the installation instructions a couple of times to familiarize yourself with the procedure. If you do decide to tackle it yourself, total cost for the repair should run you around $500-550.

I've exchanged a couple and there are several members who have done it far more times than I have, so any questions, just post them here

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #9
arturob

thanks again. I am going to gamble but am thinking I might buy a cooling unit and store it on the trailer somewhere so I can minimize delay if problem occurs. Did get a quote from a place in Idaho of $650 so I am glad i decided to shop around
Old 02-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturob View Post
thanks again. I am going to gamble but am thinking I might buy a cooling unit and store it on the trailer somewhere so I can minimize delay if problem occurs. Did get a quote from a place in Idaho of $650 so I am glad i decided to shop around

I have replaced quite a few. If you purchase a rebuilt cooling unit, often times there is a core charge, and warranty starts with date of purchase. If you buy one and store it, you might run out of warranty before you even install it.

Just sayin....

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I have replaced quite a few. If you purchase a rebuilt cooling unit, often times there is a core charge, and warranty starts with date of purchase. If you buy one and store it, you might run out of warranty before you even install it.

Just sayin....
Well if you buy one install asap, you might give this outfit a call. I got a replacement unit from them and it worked GREAT.

http://rvcoolingunit.com/Default.aspx
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:22 AM   #12
PND

Frig Trouble

My two cents! Before running out and spending lots of money do a few checks.
My first question-how old is the unit? Do you have any codes? Try disconnecting the thermistor (older units may have a thermostat). The thermistor is clipped on to the cold plates in the refer-follow the wires and disconnect. This will cause the unit to "run away"-cool with no cycling, wait 24 hrs. and check. If the frig is down to around zero, the cooling unit is working, replace the thermistor. Hope this will help you.

PND
2012 Silverado 2500HD
2012 358RLT
PND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:47 AM   #13
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Rebuilt replacement unit for Dometic 2652 (current model 6cuft) $425
New Dometic 2652 refrigerator $948 (at PPL RV Supply)

Rebuilt replacement unit for Dometic 2852 (current model 8cuft) $425New
Dometic 2852 refrigerator $1148 (at PPL RV Supply)

If there is nothing "wrong" with the current refrigerator "box", there's really no need to replace it as there's nothing "mechanical to wear out".

Prices vary with a "new cooling unit" from Dometic, the above pricing is for a "rebuilt cooling unit" from one source. Google is your friend, in finding pricing.
Thanks for the info John I thought that there would be a huge difference but I was wrong in that thinking!
Old 02-24-2016, 08:40 PM   #14
trucker LOU

Hey Steve, As per PND check the thermister. for replacement check www.clip the tip. I used it to repair my bad thermister.working great now.----Lou----
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0818.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	10073  
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote