Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2016, 04:01 AM   #21
SADLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxbonez View Post
... the -50* antifreeze from Walmart freezes solid at -20*! I had brought 4 gallons up with me in anticipation of using them when I flushed the holding tanks upon leaving, but when I went to put them away yesterday, they were all frozen. I'm now glad that I was here this weekend with the heat on, as this is the same product that I winterized with this past fall. I'll pay more for the brand name, Prestone or similar going forward....
All RV antifreeze will freeze or get slushy at certain temps. This is normal.

Its properties are such that it does NOT expand (unlike water) when it freezes. No damage from broken pipes and fittings.
SADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:19 AM   #22
hdxbonez

Quote:
Originally Posted by SADLY View Post
All RV antifreeze will freeze or get slushy at certain temps. This is normal.

Its properties are such that it does NOT expand (unlike water) when it freezes. No damage from broken pipes and fittings.
That may be the case with a premium product, but I can tell you that the bottoms on 2 of the jugs that i brought were bulged out to the point that they would not sit flat on my shed floor. Here's a photo that I took this morning, you can see the bulge in the jug on the left, and the cap popped on the right hand jug. The thermometer in my shed read -22*F.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:48 AM   #23
SkiSmuggs

Great, just great!
Old 02-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking at those antifreeze jugs is "unsettling" ....

Through the years, I've found that "Artic Ban" RV antifreeze to be "reliable"... By that, I mean that so far, I've never had any plumbing damage when using this brand. It costs a bit more than some of the "cheaper stuff" but ACE hardware almost always has it on sale for $2.99 a gallon every fall. Occasionally they sell the "leftovers" in the spring for $1.99 a gallon. I can't attest to any other brands, but Arctic Ban has worked for me in -30F temps for the past 6 years in northern Michigan. I even put it in my pressure washer and 12 volt sprayers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:16 AM   #25
SADLY

Quote:
That may be the case with a premium product, but I can tell you that the bottoms on 2 of the jugs that i brought were bulged out to the point that they would not sit flat on my shed floor. Here's a photo that I took this morning, you can see the bulge in the jug on the left, and the cap popped on the right hand jug. The thermometer in my shed read -22*F.
That sucks...

Stick with the good stuff and don't sweat it! The expansion should be nill!
SADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:27 PM   #26
hankaye

hdxbonez, Howdy;

At the least, open the taps to give it room to grow. any los will end up in the drains
then the traps. Oh, did you pour some into sit in the traps???

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:04 PM   #27
rhagfo

Quote:
This is one of the reasons I prefer to blow the lines!!
The second is wife's taste is very sensitive and it takes forever to flush out the taste.
the third is we four season camp and several of the SP we go to don't have full hookups, so we don't want to fill the tanks flushing the system.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:33 AM   #28
hdxbonez

Haven't seen the Arctic Ban product around here, but Walmart does also carry Prestone. You can bet I'll spend the extra $1.50 a jug in the future! The extreme cold has passed, and I had the heat on throughout it, so I'm not really concerned about any damage to my camper. We'll find out in May, though.....

Like many others, I prefer to keep anti freeze in my plumbing as opposed to just blowing the lines out. I never feel confident that all of the low spots are completely evacuated. Besides, I'm relying on the antifreeze in my traps and drain valves anyway, and I dont mind flushing the system in the spring.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #29
Pmedic4

Quote:
Well, I feel cold just reading the temperature in your shed was -22°.

Actually, I like to at least put antifreeze into my pump, I'm not sure it would blow out or not, so I just pump some in through the intake.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #30
Pmedic4

Sprayer and Pressure washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Looking at those antifreeze jugs is "unsettling" ....

Through the years, I've found that "Artic Ban" RV antifreeze to be "reliable"... By that, I mean that so far, I've never had any plumbing damage when using this brand. It costs a bit more than some of the "cheaper stuff" but ACE hardware almost always has it on sale for $2.99 a gallon every fall. Occasionally they sell the "leftovers" in the spring for $1.99 a gallon. I can't attest to any other brands, but Arctic Ban has worked for me in -30F temps for the past 6 years in northern Michigan. I even put it in my pressure washer and 12 volt sprayers.
I've always worried about my Pressure washer and kept it in the garage, not heated but close to the house, and never thought about the 12 volt sprayer. Thanks for the non-RV tip!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:59 PM   #31
nellie1289

Here in the warm climates of western Oregon we just blow out the lines on my RV. I would be totally confident doing this in the cold climates of Michigan or CT as others have posted here, given how well it seems to blow out. even if a little water is left it should have room to expand, but I would be interested in getting your take on it for those of you from these really cold states? Pumping it through seems like overkill.

Ps, the jugs pic I would send that off to the manufacturer customer service and call out there BS. that is not a good sign!
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #32
bsmith0404

When I lived in colder climates I've done both the blowout and the antifreeze methods and didn't have a problem with either. If I used antifreeze, I would also blow the lines out as well to make sure I didn't have diluted antifreeze in the lines, probably overkill.

We still get some cold weather down here in NM so I do winterize still (just to be on the safe side), but I don't blow the lines out. I can pump antifreeze through in about 5 mins, very quick and easy winterization process.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:05 AM   #33
ilovedahorse

Does hay really work better than straw bales? We've used yellow oat straw for various winter insulating protection. It seems like the straw bales are also used in house building, etc.
ilovedahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:10 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovedahorse View Post
Does hay really work better than straw bales? We've used yellow oat straw for various winter insulating protection. It seems like the straw bales are also used in house building, etc.
Welcome to the forum. The post thread your are in is over 4 years old. You would have a better chance of getting responses if you post a new thread.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:46 PM   #35
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovedahorse View Post
Personally would NOT use either, that's turning on the he VACANCY sign for critters to share your nice warm rv with you. Not to mention the price of hay or straw these days could get costly rather quickly.
Better option would foam board as skirting.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote