Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2015, 08:53 PM   #1
Keith Johnson

Step by Step instruction to Winterize a Montana High Country

I am looking for step by steps to winterize my High country 318. I am supposed to have a "Easy Winterization Kit" I haven't found a kit yet, I don't understand what its supposed to be. I had the dealer winterize last year but would like to do it myself this year.
As stated, looking for some instructions specifically showing my system.
Thank you in advance

2014 High Country 318RE
2012 F-250
2013 Honda Gold Wing
Keith Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:59 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you do a forum search, you will find numerous threads about winterizing - many of them have a step-by-step outline for you. Also you can Google "winterizing an RV" and finds scads of sites with this information.

Check out Keystone's website - they have a video on this topic. There are also plenty of YouTube videos out there for you to look at.

Finally, go to the Montana owners' forum - lots of good stuff there.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #3
omextreme

On our High Country (2015 340bhs) the "easy winterization" kit refers to the freezeguard intake port near the water connections.

On mine assuming you were doing a antifreeze in pipes type winterization you would switch the water heater lever to bypass, drain the water heater tank, hookup a hose (2-3ft in length) to the freezeguard port and insert that hose into a bottle of RV antifreeze. Power up the water pump and run the faucets until anitfreeze comes out from both hot and cold sides. dump extra antifreeze into sink drains and I like to dump 1/2g in each tank, black and gray to keep valves from freezing....

Thats how I plan to do it.
omextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:26 AM   #4
buckeyebobhockingcamper

winterize

if you have a problem getting pump to suck antifreeze disconnect hose and reverse pointed rubber hose gasket ,then replace hose.this will push against check valve allowing pump to suck better,dont forget to reverse filter gasket when done(point side out).if you dont when you use pump in spring it will shoot water out of freezeguard port.in spring leave hot water tank on bypass,hookup hose to city water supply and run all hot and cold lines to get antifreeze out of all lines,then take hw heater off bypass,put plug in and fill
buckeyebobhockingcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:54 AM   #5
NotyetMHCowner

I just did mine for the first time a couple of days ago. I had 6 gallons of anti-freeze because we have a washer/dryer. I had a lot of trouble with air sucking in the lines from somewhere and about never got it to pull the anti-freeze without a bunch of air. I blew out my lines first, then hooked up the short hose to a large container I had filled with about 4 gallons of anti-freeze. It wasn't until I connected my outside shower to the city water that I got the full stream.

Don't forget to get your "fill" line to your fresh water tank and your black tank flush.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:06 AM   #6
slow

Although not model specific, you can find my winterization check list here: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/album.php?albumid=735

BTW: I always do a thorough blank tank flush at the last campground we stay at prior to winterizing the trailer.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:20 AM   #7
SkiSmuggs

Under the RV, you should have both a fresh water tank drain and two low-point drains. Take the caps off all three and open inside faucets. Activate hot water tank bypass lever just behind the hot water tank. Remove HW heater cover and remove plug to drain. Your winterization kit also has a lever on the tee valve and should have a clear hose with it. Once everything is drained, close all faucets and cap the fresh and low-point drains, place the clear hose into a jug of RV anti freeze, have a partner turn on water pump. While one person works with the anti-freeze jugs (takes about 3 or more), the other goes to each faucet and turns on until it runs pink. Do both hot and cold faucets, one at a time. Don't forget the shower and the toilet. Finally, do the outside shower and black tank system. I found that when the jugs got down to 1/4 to 1/3 full, it started sucking air, so I would switch to a fresh jug, then combine the pink stuff from two or more jugs into one.
Left over pink stuff can be poured into sink, shower and toilet traps. Leave an inch of it in the toilet to keep the gasket wet.
Another part of winterization that RV shops don't do is mice prevention. I get a case or two of Fresh Cab rodent repellent and distribute through all storage areas and floor level cabinets.