Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2017, 07:21 AM   #1
sandy43

Fresh water tank plumbing question.

I don't dry camp (till now) and really don't worry about the water tank. I've never been able to get more than 10-15 gallons in the tank before it comes back out the filler tube. I decided to play with it some more and again try to find the problem. I put 10 gal in with a little bleach to clean and sanitize the tank, let it sit for several hours, drained it good and repeated with 10 gal to get a good flush. This time I was going to leave the water in as much as I could in the tank. When it started to come back out the hole I removed the hose and it started to make lots of bubbling noise and water shot out of the air hose with a "burp" sound. What was that I thought. I then stuck the hose back in to see if it would take any more water. Wow, I added another 30-40 gallons. Was this some kind of an air-lock or possibly trash in the air hose? Has anyone experienced some close to what I described? I'd really like to know what caused this. Appreciate your remarks. Thanks
Sandy

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:41 AM   #2
Javi

Yeah, common with rapid filling... I don't get in a hurry filling the FW tank, low and slow wins the race..

Javi
Old 06-02-2017, 03:49 AM   #3
NorskeBob

This is common - venting method for the tanks is not real good. I fill some - let it vent/burp - fill some and let it vent/burg - keep this up till it no longer takes water - water coming out the vent or fill tube.

If you plan on towing with a full water tank - water is about 8 lbs per gallon.

Sanitizing the water tank is a good idea. I do it a couple times during the camping season. I drain the tank when the RV is not in use parked next to our house.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:51 AM   #4
sandy43

The magic word appears to be "slow", which I don't do, but will do in the future.
Slow, vent, burp
Slow, vent, burp
Thanks
Sandy

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:58 AM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Yeap, you got it like watching grass grow
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:00 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Common for the fill tube to be 1 1/2" diameter and vent tube to be 1/2" diameter. One small kink in the vent line and your going to have issues.

If you take the screws out that hold the fresh fill plate on, you should be able to pull it out far enough to check. I've done quite a few.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:31 AM   #7
Stircrazy

I had this also in my last trailer the vent tube was to long and had a dip in it so water would get stuck in there an you could never fill the tank. I shortened it up and all was good. so any minor obstruction or kink etc. can make your tank seam full when it isn't. I always did the opposite of what people on here have been recommending, full blast until I have a steady stream coming out the vent, that way I know it was blown clean every time I filled up.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:16 AM   #8
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy43 View Post
I don't dry camp (till now) and really don't worry about the water tank. I've never been able to get more than 10-15 gallons in the tank before it comes back out the filler tube. I decided to play with it some more and again try to find the problem. I put 10 gal in with a little bleach to clean and sanitize the tank, let it sit for several hours, drained it good and repeated with 10 gal to get a good flush. This time I was going to leave the water in as much as I could in the tank. When it started to come back out the hole I removed the hose and it started to make lots of bubbling noise and water shot out of the air hose with a "burp" sound. What was that I thought. I then stuck the hose back in to see if it would take any more water. Wow, I added another 30-40 gallons. Was this some kind of an air-lock or possibly trash in the air hose? Has anyone experienced some close to what I described? I'd really like to know what caused this. Appreciate your remarks. Thanks
Sandy
Here's your answer: Water Tank Filler with Shut-Off Valve
Catalog Item # 4674
- See more at: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping....T6qk5hLy.dpuf

We had a similar problem with our TT. Started using this inexpensive ($2.50) filler tube and can now fill the tank without having to "burp" the air bubbles or reduce the fill volume. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0700.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	471.2 KB
ID:	12922  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, plumbing, tank, water