Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #1
GreyCamper

2015 Outback 286FRL - Control Panel

I just purchased a 286FRL so I hope there are some 286FRL owners lurking here to answer 2 questions:

1. The main control panel has the status for the water tank, battery, ect ... One test switch is labeled "Gally". What is the purpose of this indicator ?

2. There is a small panel with 2 switches upper left of the main panel. The right switch turns on the nightlight in the bedroom and on the wall in the stairs. What is the purpose of the switch to the left ?

Thanks
GreyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:45 AM   #2
66joej

Welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.
1. You have 2 grey tanks. The one marked galley is for the kitchen sink the other for the bathroom sink and shower.
2. Could that other switch be for the flood/scare light?

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:21 PM   #3
GreyCamper

1. Ok. I do not have separate dump handles for it.
2. No. I have two scare light switches (right and left side)
Old 05-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Graycamper,

Keystone produces 26 different brands of travel trailers, some have duplicate model numbers. Which brand is your 286FRL?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
GreyCamper

It is an Outback 286FRL
Old 05-29-2017, 05:05 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The Outback 286FRL specs on the Keystone website indicate that it has 53 gallons of fresh water, 38 gallons of black water capacity and 38 gallons of gray water capacity. The trailer, a fifth wheel was introduced in 2016 as a new floorplan and Keystone stopped producing Outback fifth wheels for the 2017 model year, so it was a "one year only" floorplan.

Almost all the other Outback fifth wheel models have two gray tanks, but the 286 floorplan placed the kitchen and bathroom "back to back" and allowed for the omission of the second holding tank. I suppose that provided even more "wiggle room" between the empty weight and the GVW, increasing the payload slightly. Payload capacity seems to be the most critical factor in most super-light and ultra-light trailers.

My guess would be that Keystone didn't order "two tank status indicator panels" for those trailers, but simply installed the same "three tank status indicator panel" that is used on the remainder of the floorplans in the Outback line. It's a common practice to use one component in all floorplans and just not connect or use the items that aren't applicable. In your case, the "G" tank button isn't connected to a tank or to tank sensor probes, so when you press it, there isn't a "status" to read. It's much the same with "control panels" for slide switches. On the Cougar XLite lineup there is one control panel layout with slide switch markings for 3 slides. On floorplans with only one or two slides, those spaces are left blank, the plastic film is not cut out where the switch would be located, but the print indicates: SLIDE 2 and SLIDE 3 on the film.

There are several models that have been produced with this kind of "feature". It's been reported in threads going back as far as I can remember on the forum.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
Keystoned

I know this is old, but I am brand new here with a 286FRL, and somewhat confused...it's a 2015 with the new floorplan. It looks like a 2016 and on.
Who knows the tank capacities? I've seen different numbers.
Thanks in advance!
Keystoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The Outback brochure dated November 2014 lists the 286FRL with these specs:

Shipping weight: 8650
Carrying capacity: 1835
Hitch Weight: 1685
Exterior length: 32'6"
Exterior width: 8'
Exterior height A/C top: 13'1"
Fresh Water: 53 gal (6 gal in water heater 47 gal FW tank)
Waste Water: 34 gal
Gray Water: 34 gal
LP Capacity: 60 lbs
Awning: 15'

The 2016 brochure dated December 2015 lists these differences:

Shipping weight: 8550
Carrying capacity: 2540
Hitch weight: same
length/width/height: 33/same/same
Fresh/waste/gray: same/same/same
LP: same
Awning: same

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-22-2020, 06:28 AM   #9
Keystoned

True...but I have a printout titled '286FRL- NEW Floorplan' that the seller provided. It's source is the keystone website, which no longer is accessible. It shows this;

Shipping weight: 8550
Carrying capacity: 2450
Hitch Weight: 1685
Exterior length: 33'0"
Height: 13'1"
Fresh Water: 53
Waste Water: 38
Gray Water: 38
LP Capacity: 60

The above looks like the 2017 specs so I wonder when documentation caught up to the actual build or vice versa. Totally confused now.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:23 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

If it were me, I'd go with the printed specs for the year the trailer was produced, not subsequent years. Keystone makes many "improvements" to trailers as the production line moves. Sometimes it's a "legitimate improvement" and sometimes it's mandated by materials/product no longer being available. Take, for example, the TV size. As the year begins, Keystone uses the remainder of the TV's that are in their warehouse. They may be Legend 32" LED sets from last year. After they are used up, the "new contract" may be with Furrion and they are 50" LED sets.

The same applies to holding tanks, color of luan wallboard, color of furniture, brand of appliances, mattresses, tires, water heater, furnace, cabinet color/style and most other items used in construction. If, for example, 33 gallon holding tanks were not available (for any number of reasons) Keystone may well substitute 38 gallon tanks (until the new shipment arrives) or even substitute 26 gallon tanks (if that's all they have at the assembly line and in the plant).

It wouldn't surprise me if the first few models of a specific floorplan might be entirely different from models later that year and then again, significantly different from models produced in later years.

One thing is for certain, Keystone won't shut down the assembly line to keep the model specs the same. They will use "what fits and works" (when necessary) to keep the line running, people working and production on schedule.....

So, even in the midst of production, you might find one or two trailers being produced with "off spec tanks" until the new shipment comes in tonight...…

If it's important for you to know whether your tank is 33 gallons or 38 gallons, you can measure what goes into the sink (pour it in by hand and count the jugs) until the tank is full. That way you'll know for sure.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-22-2020, 07:26 AM   #11
Keystoned

Thanks again. We are used to 40 holding tanks so it is import to know. Looks like I'll be pouring water and counting gallons, lol
Old 01-22-2020, 07:27 AM   #12
Keystoned

While I'm here...is there anything current owners can share that is peculiar to this model? Any useful tips or tricks?
Old 01-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #13
Keystoned

Just to close the loop...the black tank is 33 gal, not what I hoped for.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:30 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Then the trailer specs on the Keystone website are accurate?

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...outback/specs/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-25-2020, 06:34 AM   #15
Keystoned

Yes, it was the 'flyer' with the new floorplan that was beguiling...
Not sure why it lists sleeping capacity as 6 and there is not theater seating, just a double recliner w/o cup holders in the middle. The sink is not double either, just some nit picks.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #16
Keystoned

So as part of the process of determining the black water volume, we added some dawn to the water we poured down the toilet trying to clean it out some. After dumping, I hooked up the water hose to the lone input near the dump valve handles thinking I would flush the tank. Guess what?
Nothing happened, very little water flowed so I shut my hose valve and scratched my head. The fill port and city water port are at the back of the trailer, so I reasoned this one near the dump area, towards the front of the trailer, should be for flushing the black tank.
Anybody know what it is for?
Old 01-25-2020, 07:59 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
So as part of the process of determining the black water volume, we added some dawn to the water we poured down the toilet trying to clean it out some. After dumping, I hooked up the water hose to the lone input near the dump valve handles thinking I would flush the tank. Guess what?
Nothing happened, very little water flowed so I shut my hose valve and scratched my head. The fill port and city water port are at the back of the trailer, so I reasoned this one near the dump area, towards the front of the trailer, should be for flushing the black tank.
Anybody know what it is for?
It not unusual for the highly skilled labor force (pun intended) at the factory to install the anti siphon valve on the black flush line backwards so that may we'll be the black flush port, I don't think they'd run it to the opposite end of the rv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:22 AM   #18
Keystoned

There is a black valve looking thing below the bathroom sink, I'll look at it closer to see if there are flow arrows?
Old 01-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #19
Keystoned

Well the anti siphon valve is correctly installed. Could the sprayer be fully clogged?
There was a lot of dissolved TP left by the PO, I was quite disappointed by that...
Old 01-26-2020, 12:57 PM   #20
Keystoned

Sanity check required...pulled the anti-siphon valve off and it blocks flow both ways, it must be broken. Do they have a spring inside or something to perform the diode effect? Mine just rattles when I shake it up and down. Whatever is inside goes with the force.
Guess I'm looking for a new one...

Tags
control panel, outback