Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
Rmx-

3791rd

Does anyone have this trailer or have an opinion on the Montana 3791rd. Any issues, problems etc? We love the trailer because of the unusual floor plan. The only thing I don't understand is the placement of the 6 point leveling jacks. I know the jacks are placed at different location on different trailers but this one has me confused. Seems like they are all placed pretty far forward with a lot of overhang in the rear where the raised living room is located.
Rmx- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
cw3jason

Its a great model, with a lot of storage. I did not see any issue with the level up, in fact it looked the same as the FL that I finally decided to purchase. I chose the FL over the RD mainly because the pin weight on the RD was 3000 dry. My FL was lighter and better suited for my truck. Love the 6 point level up. super easy and adds a lot of stability.
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #3
chris199

We have had our 3791RD for 10 months now. Have had it from SEPA to Quebec to Florida to Nashville and closer weekend locations. Love it!! Opted for this unit for the contiguous outside area (FL has a slide in the front protruding into outside area a bit), the floorplan, and rear storage. Tows well with the GMC Duramax long bed. Use a Hensley TrailerSaver hitch with a Blue Ox bedsaver just in case.

Here some of our lessons learned with our 3791RD...

What to watch for
As with any RV you need to watch the cabinet doors when opening the slides. That's especially true in this unit. There are 6 doors to check before opening slides.
a.) Open dinette first. Let table extend and the fridge side will slide slightly. Check on both sides of the fridge slide before opening fully. One our first night on the way back from the dealer in Vermont, we crushed the door and bent the hinges of the door immediately next to the fridge/under the theater seats. The one next to the oven will open too. In approx August the DW went to JoAnn's and bought some strap, buckles, and fabric to make 2 straps....one to hold the cabinets under the theater seating closed during travel and another for the hutch doors. Now we open the kitchen slides w/out concern. I still chk the rear den cabinet doors before opening RD slides.

BTW.....we put a pillow between the oven, the door under the oven and the doors on the island when towing. Those can open and bang against one another. Silly I know....but it's routine for us now.

Once the kitchen slides are out....slide each sofa out slightly. That will give you enough room to go up there and confirm the cabinet doors on each side are still closed. Never had one open but the time I dont check will be the time I'll crush some. Had to purchase a new cabinet door and hinges but the cost was about $100 and I had the replacements within 10 days from the dealer/Keystone. They just drop shipped them to me. Easy install.

BE CAREFUL: I can't tell you how many times the DW or me (more often me) leave the cabinet door open to the control center (lights, etc.) inside. I've banged my head pretty seriously several times. I've got to figure something out there. That's dangerous. Just be careful..... it's easy to turn around and head up the stairs when that door's open, not notice it, and wham!!

Love the Level up system. No issues other than low battery after in storage delayed a take off until battery charged. I plan on replacing single battery with 2 Trojan T145 6 volt batteries.

Just replaced the original bed (junk really...tried a topper..just impossible to get a good night's sleep). Expanded the bed platform and put a King Sleep Number in. (Camping World..just under $1000. They have deals once a year it seems in Dec/Jan.) Sleeping well now.

Had to have the rear camera replaced. Keystone puts in a backup camera designed to only work when in reverse. Keystone wired it to be on all the time. Camera burned out. Replacement observation camera on the way via warranty.

Panic light switches were reversed. Dealer fixed at pickup/inspection.

Ice maker in fridge (3791 model) is a frequently appreciated convenience.

Just connected heated theater seating. Not sure we will ever use but it's good to know it's available.

Fireplace in den is nice. Our oldest daughter joins us often and appreciates it.

FYI...recommend a foam topper for den beds. We bring it when our daughter joins us. Store it in the basement.

We store 99% of our stuff in rear storage. Only things in basement are Grill and grill propane tank. Otherwise just about vacant.

All in all...love the 3791RD. No regrets. Would do again.

Caution: BE SURE TO ORDER WITH THE GOODYEAR G RATED TIRES!!! It's an upgrade but you don't want the cheap tires on this rig!!

We also upgraded the suspension to the Morryde 4000....not sure it makes a difference. Supposed to be better. We added the double pane windows as well.

BTW...I had concerns about pin weight and payload. Thought the delivered pin weight would be up to 1000 lb higher than brochure. Turned out actual scale pin weight and brochure weight are very close. Now if we added the washer and dryer and stored all of our stuff in the basement...we would definitely need a dually. We have no desire to add the washer/dryer. Pin weight/payload are fine with our truck.

Montana Owners have a separate/dedicated forum free to join. Much like this one...great people and advice. They were a great help when we were considering upgrading from our Cougar TT to the Montana.

http://montanaadministrator.forumco.com

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:44 AM   #4
Bigcampermichael

3791rd

Hello,
I to have a Montana 3791RD and we love it but there are some things that I wish was different :
1-the step light should come on when you open the door not when you turn on flood light
2- Front cap hitch light should be on a switch where the level controls are that too is on a switch inside .
I asked what would it take to change these well I think I try to do it myself
Well it time to get ready for some camping be safe and happy rving.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #5
chris199

I like those suggested improvements!! I wonder if the remote with this year's model provides some of these?

Just got back from a,week in FL and spring training. Rig towed well Temps in 80's and sun. Not a drop of rain for 10 days. First day back...40s and rain. Ughhh.... Thankful for the time away!

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #6
tperonek

level up

I have a 3790RD and they a little forward compared to the 2015 356bh. It does have a little sway in the back but, it sure makes it easy for me to get out of my driveway.
tperonek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #7
tperonek

in command

I have the in command system in my 3790RD. Anybody hear of any issues/problems with this system?
tperonek is offline   Reply With Quote