Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #21
labman

One of my first experiences pulling the Sprinter 5th wheel was requiring me to make a u turn and go up a wet gravel hill to get to our campsite. The 6.7 started to buck so I pulled the lock on the rear wheels and put it in 4wd and it pulled the 10K pound trailer up the hill to the campsite. Still bucking, I got out to inspect and discovered the brake emergency plug got disconnected during the tight u turn and I pulled the 5er up the hill with it's brakes locked. DW had a good laugh at that one. But it did prove the 6.7 powerstroke had some serious pulling power......
Old 07-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91yj View Post
I've been a rock crawler/desert racer for 20+ years, very familiar with lockers and transfer cases. I never said that it's going to instantly grenade a differential or transfer case the minute that it is put into 4 wheel drive.

The OP seemed unfamiliar with the operation of the 4x4 system on the vehicle. A part time 4x4 design should not be used on dry/hard surfaces, nothing good is going to happen. I tried to explain "auto" 4wd/AWD system's can be used on hard/dry surfaces, apparently I failed.
I'm assuming your post was about mine in regards to the 4x4 "stuff". My only thought was about your comment that 4x4 can't be used on hard/dry surfaces. Of course they can; not as a matter of normal operation, not while you try to navigate a trials course etc., but, if you want to engage 4 wheel for a short time in a straight line trying to get out of a bind on a hard surface...no problem. Not trying to be argumentative but trying to marginalize the "broad sweep" of the brush - for a person that apparently doesn't know anything about 4x4 (the poster).
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:11 PM   #23
packnrat

if your tires lose traction on a hill.
first what kind of tires are you using.
second what kind of pavment? dirt? gravel?
third what is the angle you are trying to pull up?
get a limited slip rear diff, most 4X4 systems will
break down if you are on dry pavement. all four tires rotate a bit differnt and solid gear boxes do not like this set up something has to give. a gear U-bolt, tire slipage, etc.
is your transfer case a "all wheel drive? that can do this job on dry pavement.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #24
mfifield01

I have used 4wd to get my TT from storage many times. It is stored on gravel with dirt below surface. If it rains days before I pick it up, I typically need to engage 4wd lock (same as hi) to get it out. I turn it off before I make any turns.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #25
msp2jxr

If you are on gravel i say reach for 4 wheel. If you are on tar or concrete definantly not. You may damage your 4 wheel system unless designed for full time 4 wheel.
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #26
jlb27537

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I have ordered our first fifth wheel (Montana HC 350RL) and am super excited to get started. I have a newbie question. Many campgrounds in our area are near riverbeds and when leaving the campground there is a very steep hill to climb back up to the main road. In order to save the tread on the rear tires, is it advisable to use 4WD to pull up the hill, then go back to 2WD when you level out?
Your Id shows Nixa. If you are pulling up out of Mill Creek or such, just 2wd is fine. Gravel road, might need 4x4.

Enjoy that new rig...
Old 07-22-2018, 09:27 AM   #27
Forrest

You will find that 4WD will be useful if you ever camp on wet grass and try to pull off the site if it has a slight hill. In two wheel drive, if one wheel slips, the other one most like will not turn, unless you have pose-traction.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #28
Drew

If you are in doubt, use in 4x4 mode. It spreads the torque over all the wheels, eliminates spinning (if you spin all 4 you shouldn't be there in the first place) and is generally easier on equipment. Just don't forget to change back to 2 wheel drive when you want to resume normal speeds. In any case, most vehicles don't get enough use in 4x4 and should be exercised occasionally to spread lubricant around and prevent vibration "wear spots" from happening where the differential gears touch.
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #29
larryflew

As mentioned you probably don't need to do anything. Between truck torque and the pin weight you are not likely to have a problem. I even back a 16000 pound trailer up a steep driveway. Only once when it was a little icy did I need 4wd even for that.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #30
TimPasq

Ref newbie pulling up steep hill

We have a number of years with different trailers/RVs including 5th wheel. Much of it in back country, hilly including 20 years in Colorado Rockies and Wyoming, MT and ID. Lots of time in National Forests and National Parks. When on paved road and not wet or snow normally no reason for 4X4. On gravel roads and just pulling out or starting out from a stop and on an incline or approaching an incline use 4X4 before you get to the tire slippage stage. Experience says no matter the conditions begin the pull with a slow gradual acceleration. The issue is primarily safety and control, not tire wear.
TimPasq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:27 AM   #31
Sunnysidebeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91yj View Post
You really only want to use 4x4 if you have tire slip. If you have an "auto" function on your 4x4 system you can use that. If you only have 4x4 hi/lo, try to avoid using it on a paved road as the drivetrain can get into a bind, especially if making turns.
Exactly, use the auto 4x4 mode or if you don't have that, make sure you keep it straight when engaging the 4x4 mode.
Sunnysidebeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags