Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2018, 05:24 AM   #1
66joej

Slide out rack

Just a tip for the folks that have the slide out bumper racks. Replace the 7/16" hitch pins with 1/2" bolts, washers and nylock nuts. This greatly reduces the that rocking motion that the spare tire makes. Less tension on the bumper/hose holder. Also helps if you use the rack.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:35 AM   #2
Canonman

If you have the wherewithal, I'd recommend also replacing the actual bracket the pin goes through as well. The metal used on ours was way too thin and as it acts as a pivot point failed during use. And, YES, change the pins to 1/2 inch bolts. Much less movement. No failures since this upgrade was completed this spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3567 - Version 3.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	16886  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:05 AM   #3
ptooti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
If you have the wherewithal, I'd recommend also replacing the actual bracket the pin goes through as well. The metal used on ours was way too thin and as it acts as a pivot point failed during use. And, YES, change the pins to 1/2 inch bolts. Much less movement. No failures since this upgrade was completed this spring.

Can someone post a pic of a slide out bumper rack I’m curious

Current : 2018 Passport Elite 19RB
Past 2015 R-Pod 179
6,000 Equalizer WDH
2009 F150 Lariat 5.4l
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptooti View Post
Can someone post a pic of a slide out bumper rack I’m curious
Hope this loads.
Attached Images

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:05 PM   #5
ptooti

I Like!

oh i like that where can I get one I'm in Manitoba do you have a make/model thank you
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:41 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
oh i like that where can I get one I'm in Manitoba do you have a make/model thank you
Careful what you wish for !!! Those sliding racks have not always worked as advertised. Cracked welds, loose/worn pin holes, bouncing while towing, broken/bent steel, damaged or lost cargo from rack failure are just some of the problems reported with these racks....

And, some people report good results. Weigh all your options before trying to install something like this on a trailer that's not already equipped with one. There are options that would provide the same or better cargo space.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:53 AM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Careful what you wish for !!! Those sliding racks have not always worked as advertised. Cracked welds, loose/worn pin holes, bouncing while towing, broken/bent steel, damaged or lost cargo from rack failure are just some of the problems reported with these racks....

And, some people report good results. Weigh all your options before trying to install something like this on a trailer that's not already equipped with one. There are options that would provide the same or better cargo space.
And don't attach anything to the bumper. It is not designed to carry the weight or the stress of a load bouncing up and down. Attach to the frame only.

Not really sure why there is a bumper on these, as they don't work like a car bumper. Insurance probably requires it. I wouldn't count my life on it.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:50 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Doesn't everyone use the rear bumper to "clear out" those back in spots?? Comes in handy to move picnic tables, trash cans, bikes, and the occasional Prius that your neighbor's visitor parked in your space......
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:00 AM   #9
Canonman

Quote:
I am on record with several posts about what a POS I consider this pull out rack to be. Yes, it looks like a great idea. When we bought the Cougar I was excited to have it included in the package. When I tried to use it I found out just what a design mess it really is. Lippert engineering at it's worst! It's extremely hard to pull out or push in. The welds break on the pin bracket and it has almost no attachment points to carry bicycles.
You will be much better served to have a welding shop install a 2" receiver hitch, welded to the trailer frame. The receiver hitch will provide you the option to add a cargo carrier or bike rack or other accessories specifically made for this type of attachment. I modified our Lippert rack to accommodate our Thule bike rack and spare tire; but only because it was already there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capitol Reef Sunset (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	16896  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #10
lunge motorsport

Here's mine...
I noticed in Moab that it was trying to disconnect itself from the trailer. I had to use a lot of bailing wire to insure it stayed in place for the rest of the trip. I was carrying 2 bicycles and the spare that came with the trailer so I was under the 200lb weight capacity.

I have photos of my solution in one of my albums if it is of interest to you.

It's for sale! Cheap!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2617.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	16897  

Tags
rack, slide, slide out