Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM   #21
fmitzen

Use happy camper powder, dissolve in a bucket and pour down the commode.
One scoop when you dump the black tank

fmitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM   #22
GORDON IRVIN

You will find out that keystone has 100 percent no NO QUALITY CONTROL
They build them cheep and fast, i would never own a Keystone agin and try calling them for help and all they say is bring it in $$$$$$

GORDON IRVIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM   #23
itat

Sherwolfe, it sounds like your repair was similar to this one that Ray from “Love Your RV” did a few years back.

https://www.loveyourrv.com/rv-waste-...cougar-276rls/

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM   #24
Randyf7f

Had the same issue with our '07 Raptor - leaking black tank valve. It was never fun taking off the sewer cap. I started by cutting out a "U" in the underbelly with a drywall knife to gain access (so I could simply fold it closed and secure it when done). To get the right location for the cut-out, I dropped the liner an inch or so on the outside edges to measure to the valve then, from underneath, felt around for a crossmember so as to cut the 'door' where it would be easy to fold closed and secure to the crossmember. While it was very tight, I was able to use wedges here and there between the black tank and the existing structure/plumbing in order to seperate and hold the flanges apart, giving just enough room to get the valve out. Since the seals sit in a recess in both the valve and the flanges, you need some seperation - particularly when installing. It was a bit more trouble sliding the new valve in without dislodging the seals (and I had to drive the wedges tighter), but after a couple of tries putting the seals in first, then the valve - then vice-versa (and I can't recall which ended up working), all ended up in place. I did use some silicone grease to help hold the seals in place. It is nice to now remove the sewer cap with confidence!

One other note: When sourcing a new valve, I wanted only the valve - not the valve with cable (as our cable was fine), I was told by the mfg. that I must order the valve with the cable, as there was no way to attach the existing cable to a "T" pull valve. Figuring there must be a simple way to mate the two, I picked up the (less expensive) "T" valve from the local RV shop, unscrewed the T handle, and the cable from the existing valve attached perfectly.
Randyf7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM   #25
Northofu1

Reading this post was partially why I had looked on youtube about composting toilets, which led to my post about schematics. I think if it happens to me I would seriously look into installing a composting toilet. No more flushing, no more sewage. If possible I could try to turn the black tank into an added Grey tank. I dread the thought of pulling that liner down and hacking away at insulation / foam.
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM   #26
Sherwolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Sherwolfe, it sounds like your repair was similar to this one that Ray from “Love Your RV” did a few years back.

https://www.loveyourrv.com/rv-waste-...cougar-276rls/
ITAT, Well it sure does seem to be almost identical. Apparently he and I had the same idea to correct the issue.
2015 Silver F150 Lariat, Screw, 3.5L EcoBoost, Shortbox, 4x4, 3:55 Gear, SnugTop Canopy
Sherwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM   #27
Jagerk9

Another common problem are tanks that aren’t dumped right away. Water is 8 pounds per gallon imagine all that water and stuff sloshing around and yanking on your plumbing. I bought a used keystone and it had a crack under the dump pipe. fortunately I was able to repair it and support the plumbing with plumbing strap. I know these things don’t come to mind to most but when your black tank starts to leak that’s frequently the culprit.. Dump ASAP
Jagerk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON IRVIN View Post
You will find out that keystone has 100 percent no NO QUALITY CONTROL
They build them cheep and fast, i would never own a Keystone agin and try calling them for help and all they say is bring it in $$$$$$
Please!!!
When you find the rv that's built any differently or with better quality control please post the make, model, floor plan on this forum so that the rest of us can get in line for one as well.
Thor is the parent company (85%+ of all rvs) of Keystone & you'd be hard pressed to name a rv that's not part of that group.
So here's wishing good luck for you (& us if you find a good'un) in your search for the perfect rv!

Danny & Linda
Fulltime since '08
2013 Redwood 36FB
2013 Denali 3500 DRW D/A
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:59 AM   #29
itat

My TT is not a Keystone or even a Thor Industries make, but you’re comment about quality across the entire industry is probably correct. Factory support after the sale is vey important as is a a good local dealer or RV repair shop in the event you have a problem you can’t fix yourself. Of course, RV forums like this one are helpful, too!

There are several RV parent company manufacturers out there besides Thor. Forest River makes mine. I think Grand Design is independent?

BTW, I’m here on the Keystone Forum because we are considering a Keystone Cougar 5er as our next camper. You read about many of the same problems on the Forest River Forum although there are also many, many posts about good factory support there.

itat is offline   Reply With Quote