Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #1
24vctd

Tailgater hookup help28

i got a tailgater q4500 and the Wally receiver. When I hook the king ant. to either of the two sat hookups on the roadside of the coach and hook the Wally to the wall hookup behind the tv it will not go past the check install point,it’s not connecting the receiver to the ant. The one I hook it to is the one with power to it. I also tried hooking it through the other hookup that is for cable located on the curbside of the coach neither will work. If I hook it straight to the receiver through the door it hooks up fine. Has anybody had this trouble. 2017 Denali 289rk
24vctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:55 AM   #2
RoscoeV

You may want to just run the cable directly from the Wally to the Tailgater to make sure it works. If it does there may be a splitter in the cabling in your trailer that's causing the issue. The Tailgater needs a direct connection to the Wally and the cable has to be under 50 ft long. Reason being is the Wally provides power to the Tailgater.

On the outside of the trailer, connect the Tailgater to the port marked SAT or something of that nature. Then check behind the TV and see if there is a short jumper cable connecting two coax connectors. Remove the jumper cable and connect the Wally to each port one at a time and see if that fixes it.

Let us know if that fixes it.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:35 AM   #3
24vctd

Roscoe
I have it run direct thru the window and it works fine. If I hook it up to my wall connectors inside cable or sat they are both split to the bedroom and one is powered. The rv dealer checked both sat hookups and confirmed connectivity but that’s all. The strange thing is they sell this sat unit there and install them but I didn’t buy my sat there.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
RoscoeV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24vctd View Post
Roscoe
I have it run direct thru the window and it works fine. If I hook it up to my wall connectors inside cable or sat they are both split to the bedroom and one is powered. The rv dealer checked both sat hookups and confirmed connectivity but that’s all. The strange thing is they sell this sat unit there and install them but I didn’t buy my sat there.
Can you post a picture of what the connections look like behind the main TV? That may help some.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:42 AM   #5
Mikendebbie

Search for the thread “satellite hookup help” - I have some pics.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #6
24vctd

I got the straight story on the right hookup for sat inside and out of the coach from the dealer. We got it work yesterday and today no go.Called dish for tech support and they told me that With the king sat and Wally ,if you don’t hook the cable directly to the back of the receiver they will work for a day then stop.��
Old 05-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #7
bill-e

So behind your TV you should have 2 RF connections, one connected to the cable and one to the Sat. Have you ever used the cable input and know that it goes to the TV? I'm wondering if the Sat input is actually connected incorrectly so, to the TV and the unused connection is really the cable? Just thinking out loud.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #8
bill-e

The CableTV connection goes through the TV Amp module which is why it won't work for Sat.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #9
KHBama

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24vctd View Post
i got a tailgater q4500 and the Wally receiver. When I hook the king ant. to either of the two sat hookups on the roadside of the coach and hook the Wally to the wall hookup behind the tv it will not go past the check install point,it’s not connecting the receiver to the ant. The one I hook it to is the one with power to it. I also tried hooking it through the other hookup that is for cable located on the curbside of the coach neither will work. If I hook it straight to the receiver through the door it hooks up fine. Has anybody had this trouble. 2017 Denali 289rk
Have you removed the plates on the wall behind the TV? I didn't have a cable ran to my satellite output on the wall. In short, there was a hookup for satellite but no cable ran to it. I found the cable in the wall, connected it and it was good to go
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #10
jwheel53

I had Keystone Cougar with Sat connection marked on the outside of TT. Problem was that it had a splitter somewhere and tailgater wouldn't work. Hand to connect tailgater power supply inside TT just as the connection came in for sat. Manufactures have learned their errors. Now the sat cable comes to the living room tv. Some newer TT now have a connection by the TT living room, so that you can feed from receiver to bedroom by cable connectin.
jwheel53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #11
Bttravel

Same problem on our 2016 Sprinter 319MKS. Bad cable or splitter. Tried everything to correct and finally gave up and installed another outside receptacle directly behind where the entertainment center is in the slide. Had an access panel below the tv and ran cable direct to receiver. Works great there. Just can't set up tv for sat in the bedroom. Oh well.
Just have to work around the poor quality items.
Bttravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:14 PM   #12
Wyldfire

Our local Camping World dealer put in upgraded splitters and we can watch Dish with the Walley and King Tailgator on HDMI and flip to antenna input and watch Over the air channels. Don't even have to turn off the amplifier. I love it.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #13
24vctd

Hey that sounds great. I will ask about that. Can you post a make and model#. I still don’t think my coax is clean because the sat connection I am using on the outside is hooked to the power ant and sat connection below it,I used the exterior sat connection with cable before and had it plugged into the powered ant hookup on the inside.��
Old 05-28-2018, 07:21 PM   #14
Irv gates

24vctd. My Montana trailer came with one Tv cable outlet at the rear TV. Ohmn ing it out I determined that it was cabled through the antenna switch and that I couldnt get a clean conn that wouldnt disrupt my 5 volt power that my Dish needed. So thats why I just ran a direct connection under the slide out up to the back of the TV following a cable entrance and mounted the Dish conn on the edge of the slide out where it wouldnt get bothered. I havent found another cable in the wall of the camper to that area that would work. A splitter wont work, because of the way the electronics separate the signals to the cables. I havent felt a need yet to do anything different yet, so Since it works great, I will leave it as is for now. I love camping. IG
Irv gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:12 PM   #15
Wyldfire

I do not have any part numbers. Dropped it off on a Friday and picked it up Monday. Could tell that they had removed the exterior sat connection and the interior plate where the small loop was. Before I had to remove the short connector coax and hook Walley up to top position and turn off booster to watch Dish and reconnect short loop to watch OTA. Now I don` t have to change anything but the TV input. Cost $150. Well worth it for the reduction of stress.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:33 PM   #16
Wyldfire

Here is a pic of the set up. Amplified coax goes to TV antenna input. The top of the bi input plate goes to Walley.. I still get OTA in the bedroom. The bottom of biplane has nothing hooked to it. 2017 Cougar 24sabwe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180522_232406.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	16564  
Old 05-23-2018, 06:24 AM   #17
24vctd

Ok thanks for the help . Can you give me a name on the dealer and I will check with their parts guy on who makes it.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #18
Wyldfire

Used Camping World of Caldwell, Idaho. Trevor was our service advisor.

https://rv.campingworld.com/dealer/b...medium=organic
Old 05-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #19
24vctd

Wyldfire that’s the same as mine. Mine is connected to the bedroom and the sat hook up outside. Thanks for the info will let you know how it goes.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #20
Irv gates

There is a problem with the coach wiring. Me and a friend had the same problem and the only way around it was to add new cable directly to the inside recv from the dish. the only place we could get a direct cable conn for the sat was to the bedroom. If your tv location is in a slideout then its fairly easy to hookup put otherwise its a bumer. IG
2014 343RL
Irv gates is offline   Reply With Quote