Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2018, 03:29 AM   #21
DucBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
First, I have to say we have a short fifthwheel, 31' total, but we've also had a 31' TT. Towing, no question, fiver is better. I hated towing the TT, even with WDH and Anti-sway bars. Part of it, of course was our choice of tow vehicle, but I think this is a common issue with many people who want a TT, they just want to use the family suburban/van/half-ton truck, and call it good. Also when we did purchase the TT, we didn't have all the excellent information that make up this and the many other RV forums. Newbie mistake, I admit it.

Lost TV bed space. Yep, but with current puck mount systems, you can remove it, even though it is exceptionally heavy. Do wonder about the Anderson aluminum hitch system? Taking stuff with, with no truck bed space? Yeah, but we've adapted. However, the fiver has a lot more storage, and I'm finding I'm not taking stuff in and out of the truck bed when going on a trip.

Out stairs aren't bad, much better than many motorhomes, and most fivers, and about the same as a TT with larger or many slides. But that's just our fiver.

The real space we notice most in our fiver is the bathroom, it is much better than many TT. I'm certain there are some TT models that are as nice, but that's our big benefit. My DW and I like this the most.

The only thing we'd like in a better fiver is one with dual opposing rear slides. The space is great, but even many TT have this, but then again it pushes up the weight and you're back to a bigger vehicle and that cost factor many people point out (because fivers take a bigger TV), is just accepting the wrong TV for one of the bigger TT.

But I can see a place for TT, just I like my fiver.
Hodgy fyi as far as dealing with a 200#fw hitch in your TV bed a goosebox type pinbox replacement will drop the wt and size to r/ring a 2-5/16 ball about 1.5#s from your TV bed plus the air ride isolation will save wear and tear on you, your occupants in TV and your rig. 5th wheel all the way, had a bumper pull never going back JM2CW

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
400W Solar, 5.5k CO.
DucBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:44 AM   #22
Tinner12002

As for my personal experience, I've towed a 28ft living quarters trailer with a dually back in 2001 and pulled many 16-24ft trailers with a SRW truck in between that and what I'm now pulling which is a 43ft 5th wheel with a dually. Shorter trailers weren't bad to tow, 28ft living quarters trailer obviously longer and a little more effort required to back up. Had a couple 5th wheel toy haulers since, one 30ft and one 39ft so had a little practice parking. Never had an EQ hitch on the living quarters trailer nor did I have a sway bar with it, but never had any sway or sag issues ether. My new setup of course is much heavier but pulls good and handles good, backing is not too bad just have to keep in mind its a long way back to the end of it. Love the extra room the 5th wheel provides but then for what I want and do with an RV the 5th wheel is the only one that will efficiently serve my needs.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:18 AM   #23
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
The only advantage to me would be the reduced length of truck and trailer and easier to handle and tow.
I see no increase in space or headroom. When the roof goes up in the front part of the trailer, so does the floor, so the net gain is little to none.
They look cool and let you get into spaces that may have length restrictions, but the trade off is not forth the additional $20K or the upgrade to a bigger truck to pull it.
I'm good with my Outback. JMHO
Have you ever walked through a 5er at an RV show??
Yes, the upper sections have some lower head room, we have 6'-1" in our bed room. Then we have the living area that goes from 8' and tapers to the rear of the 5er to 7'-3". The storage advantage is more cabinets in the taller parts of the 5er, and the basement, which in some units is near 3' tall or more.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:59 AM   #24
NotyetMHCowner

Before we bought our fiver we were convinced that we did not want one. So, we said we owe it to ourselves to look at fifth wheels first to eliminate them from the decision process. After looking at them and then back to the bumper pulls, we fell in love with the "homey" feel and storage in the fifth wheel.

Many people we talked with before hand said they wouldn't want a fifth wheel because of loosing all the truck bed space for camping gear (these were people that never owned a fifth wheel). The difference to me is that all that crap that I had to load and unload in the truck bed EVERY camping trip now easily fits in the basement storage and stays there all the time. We are hitched up and ready to go much quicker with the fifth wheel than when we had a TT.

Yes you may have to purchase a larger truck and that may not be in the cards. For us, our older 1/2 ton truck was at its max anyway and we knew we wanted a bigger and much heavier camper (for the build quality) so we were in the market for a bigger truck anyway. Im so glad we went with a dually (it is my daily driver too) for the added capacity.

Also, Im 6'5" and a fifth wheel feels much better to live in than did our TT. Bigger tanks, much more storage, better towing stability, huge basement storage (our Montana High Country has the dropped frame for the bigger basement storage; it is massive). They are not for everyone, but we will never go back to a TT.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, vantage