Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #1
Vanessac0510

Satellite Hookup

How do I get the Satalite to work Is there a cable diagram somewhere? Can’t get Dish tailgater to connect.
Vanessac0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessac0510 View Post
How do I get the Satalite to work Is there a cable diagram somewhere? Can’t get Dish tailgater to connect.
If you do a search for "satellite hookup" a lot of threads on the subject will come up. Your answer will likely be there. Did you turn off your antenna booster?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:53 AM   #3
Mikendebbie

The exterior satellite connection on my 2017 Laredo would not work with my dish tailgator either. When I first bought the unit and discovered the problem, I ran a "test" by hooking up the park cable to the satellite connection and also swapped the coax connection inside at the TV. The cable signal came thru fine. Don't have any idea why the cable would work but the tailgator would not. To beat the faulty connection - I used a 50' coax passed through the outside kitchen direct to the Dish black box at the TV - therefore I had a direct line running from the Tailgator to my black box. I rolled up the excess and kept it in the outdoor kitchen for travel. However - the unit is in the shop now (going on 5 weeks) for some warranty work and they supposedly found a faulty splitter or connection in the wall and "fixed it". I will let you know when I pick the unit up in a couple of weeks.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
FlyingChief

Many sat connections won’t work through a splitter.....needs to be a direct run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FlyingChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
RoscoeV

If you look behind your TV you may see two connectors and a short jumper connecting those two connectors. Remove the jumper and connect one of the connectors to the satellite receiver using a coax cable. If you don't get a picture try the other connector.

I had the same problem in my Cougar and that fixed it for me.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
msuron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeV View Post
If you look behind your TV you may see two connectors and a short jumper connecting those two connectors. Remove the jumper and connect one of the connectors to the satellite receiver using a coax cable. If you don't get a picture try the other connector.

I had the same problem in my Cougar and that fixed it for me.
That also worked for me!
msuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:50 PM   #7
twindman

I have a dish satellite and it limits you to 50 feet total run. I 'eyeballed' the distance for the cable in the trailer. It is around 30-35 feet. Add in the external cable and you exceed that distance. My interior cable runs from the connection point outside back to the farthest back slide out, then appears to go up the wall, across the slide, and back down before going inside. I drilled a hole behind the TV and put in a cable connection and hook up directly to this. No problems now.
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

The length of coax shouldn’t have any effect. The coax that came with my carry out is 50’, and the cable run in the trailer is about 20’.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:01 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

This is in the DISH Playmaker owner's manual:

NOTE A 25 foot coaxial cable is included and recommended for use with the antenna. Longer coax runs could potentially cause intermittent problems. Maximum cable length should never exceed 50 feet.

Maybe it doesn't really matter, maybe they are concerned about OSHA trip hazards, maybe ours is an old system and the new systems are different? Whatever, this is what Winegard says....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #10
ChuckS

The simple fact is the satellite dish will work just fine with coax runs over 50 feet.. my house has a run of 250 feet from dish to receiver..

I use the King Quest direct tv auto dish with my fifth wheel and coax to connect so I can place antenna in clearings thru trees to get signal sometimes when boon dock8ng.. that coax run is 150 feet

The key to a good dish system in an RV is quality RG6 coax with properly installed F connectors...

Also you cannot feed a signal from a satellite antenna thru a conventional every day tv cable splitter... it simply will not work..ever..

The LNB on the dish antenna needs to see power from the coax and with a conventional Wally World or RV style tv splitter it can’t get the power needed ....

That is why the preferred coax run is Quality RG6 coax... a SWM powered splitter can be used however....
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

What I was told is the aiming mechanism and the electronics in the Playmate system get their power THROUGH the coax. Voltage drop on long runs of coax cause sub-par performance and can damage the drive motors in the unit, so never use co-ax runs longer than 50 feet. My home satellite system has a run of about 200', but there's no motor and no "visible amplifier" in the dish or LNB. All of that is inside, in the receiver box. Not the same with an "automatic aiming box" typically used with a mobile RV system. Two different "animals" requiring two different diets.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #12
ChuckS

Click image for larger version

Name:	4F070BD8-51BB-4AB0-BDFD-6CC0725E4F34.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	15060This may be useful to someone.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #13
ChuckS

Satellite Hookup

Not certain with units other than King Quest. Called them directly and asked about longer run of quality RG6 and they stated should not be an issue at 150 feet. The tell tale sign is a 771 error on TV. Means receiver is not seeing signal good enough from antenna. I’ve been using 150 feet on my auto system for four years. No issues.

The original poster was trying to use a cable signal to trouble shoot his dedicated coax line to the satellite receiver. It will not be a reliable test as band width requirements are different.

He’s better off removing wall fixtures and examining F
connectors and such for good install. A lousy job at F connectors will degrade signal to the point that yes a cable signal would work but not one from a satellite dish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
Old 01-16-2018, 06:22 AM   #14
KHBama

Smile

Do you only have one Cable/Sat input on the outside of the trailer? If so, you need to check the wall fixture and see if there is even a connection to the satellite connector. If not, you need to move one of the cable wires that's connected to the booster/Cable connector over to the satellite connector(That's the layman's term version I have 75' and 100' cable and never had an issue getting service with the playmaker
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite