Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2016, 09:39 AM   #1
slow

LevelMatePro Review

Part A: Install & Setup:

Another post on this forum (http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...highlight=revo) sparked my interest in getting the LevelMatePro which is a new product for leveling your TT or MH. Ever since I starting using Anderson Levelers, I wanted a way to know if I was level side to side without leaving the cab of the truck. Forum member Desert185 mentioned the LevelMatePro (http://www.command-electronics.com/) and it seemed to be the product I was looking for. Also since I use a ProPride hitch, being able to save and recall the hitch height, seemed like an added bonus feature I could use.

My LevelMatePro arrived this week and I just completed the install and set up. The first use will be next weekend.

The product was well packaged and arrived to my Canadian address in 10 days via USPS which was my request. The other option was UPS but I wanted to avoid their handling fees that can be very high crossing the border. Luckily, there were no additional fees using USPS, since it is hit and miss. Even without the border fees, it is an expensive gadget for us Canadians because of the current exchange rate on $139US plus $10US shipping fee (~$200CDN).

The product includes very detailed and well written instructions (so I will not repeat them here) for a very simple setup procedure. I downloaded the PDF version of the instructions (http://www.command-electronics.com/#!user-manuals/yufmz) and watched the videos (http://www.command-electronics.com/#!videos/w62pp) in advance of the product arriving as well as loading the app from iTunes onto two iPhones and an iPad. The LevelMatePro also works with Android devices. I recorded the measurements of our TT required for the set up; distance from the tongue jack to the rear axle and the width from the outside of the tires from the driver to passenger side. So when the LevelMatePro arrived I just needed to install it and complete the setup procedure.

I followed the instructions for the setup and installed the module high on the driver's side front baggage compartment near the front of our TT. In this location, the mounting screws penetrated the aluminum frame in the wall on both sides of the module thereby providing a secure anchoring for the module.

Some experimenting with range suggests that the claimed bluetooth 50 foot range is probably accurate since I was able to connect from inside my house, across the street and from behind parked vehicles on my street. I do not expect any connection issues from the cab of our truck which is a much shorter distance.

To complete the setup, I used a 6 foot level on the floor in the trailer to level the TT the front to back level and a four foot level for side to side. Using the unijacks, I levelled the trailer and then completed the setup procedure within the app using my iPhone. I also confirmed that the LevelMatePro was reporting a level TT when using the other two devices.

I then removed the unijacks that I used to level the trailer and confirmed that each device again reported the same out of level condition.

Edit (6/25/2016): Later in the day, I noticed that the iPhone display was indicating only 5% battery level although the graphic indicator suggested 95%. I removed the battery (CR2032) and tested it with a battery meter and it indicated 3.12 Vdc. I therefore suspect it is a S/W bug and I reported it to Command electronics.

Edit (6/27/2016): Chuck from Command electronics responded quickly and noted that the numeric value for the battery level is dynamic, whereas the graphic is static (does not change). He appreciated the feedback and said an app update would be coming out shortly.

Edit (7/2/2016): Updated app available as of yesterday (7/1) to address battery level reporting issue. (Talk about a quick response!)

I will report back on the functionality in about ten days after next weekend's camping trip.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
slow

LevelMatePro Review

Part B: Operational Review

First impression on the first use of the LevelMatePro is WOW! The levelling process is quick and simple with the LevelMatePro and Anderson Levelers.

As luck would have it for the first use of the LevelMatePro, our site was one of the worst. Wet ruts on the high side and an aggressive slope to the low side and front of the trailer.

Pondered the situation for a few moments and then decided not to worry about any of it but rather just decide where I wanted the TT to be. Moved forward to within one foot from where I wanted to be and positioned the Anderson levellers on the low side. The LevelMatePro display indicated I needed to raise the low side 3 inches and the front 6 1/2 inched. I slowly drove forward until the side to side was level and the green light came on the iPad. Got out and wedged the Anderson Levelers and then placed the chocks on the opposite side. If had been using blocks, I would have stacked the blocks to the height I needed and then drove up on them.

No shouting from the DW, or getting out of the TV and back in after checking a level multiple times to get the TT level side to side.

With a conventional hitch, this is when I would have raised the tongue jack off the ball and saved the hitch height before moving the TV away from the TT. Then I would have levelled the TT front to back.

With the Propride hitch, prior to decoupling, the tongue jack is lowered to just make contact with the ground before loosening the WD bars until just loose. Then the tongue jack is raised until the coupler just lifts off the ball. This is when the stinger is no longer loaded in the main hitch unit and the stinger is free to slide out. I stored this as the hitch height. Then I disconnected the over centre locks and drove the TV away from the TT. I then raised the tongue jack until the LevelMatePro displayed that I was also level front to back.

When we leave in a couple of days I will recall the hitch height. Hopefully it will be at the correct height to insert the ProPride's stinger into the main unit without any further height adjustment.

More to come. (Edit 7/3/2016: see post #4 in this thread.)
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 06-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
vampress_me

Thank you! I'm interested in getting one but want to see how you like it first.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #4
slow

When it was time to hook up, I recalled the unhook height and lowered the tongue jack until the LevelMatePro app displayed a green light. I then backed the TV and the ProPride stinger went right into the main unit. No getting out of the TV and making height adjustments.

I am very happy with the LevelMatePro. IMO it is a must have for solo travelers and a very good option for those that want to make the levelling process quick and argument free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 07-04-2016, 04:31 AM   #5
spicercars

Looks like a really neat system.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:09 AM   #6
Dave W

Nice write up

Looks like one more reason for us to graduate from the dark ages and a flip phone to a smart one.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
slow

Update:

Still loving our LevelMatePro!

Only issue is that I had to replace the battery which was easy without de-mounting it. Must have been a week battery from the start.

RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 08-15-2016, 04:10 PM   #8
Alpine

Excellent review for sure!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	033.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	11073  

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #9
slow

LevelMatePro Review

Update:

Set up in pouring rain last night and I was soooo happy I had the LevelMatePro.

Pulled into the site within a foot of where I wanted to be. Jumped out briefly to place the Anderson levelers on the low side. Quickly got back into the truck, launched the app and pulled forward until I was level side to side. Got out again to place chocks and raise the tongue jack until level front to back and was done until the rain tapered off. No flashlight to view a bubble level or having to walk around to where the stick ons would be placed.

On a negative note, I have now replaced my LevelMatePro battery twice. I have not been able to get more than 6 weeks out of a fresh battery. The developer let me know that an app update will be issued soon to allow the user to set the wake time. The current fixed setting of 7 days is not allowing the unit to go into sleep mode when the TT is used on weekends. His explanation and description of the app change sounded logical to address the rapid battery depletion.

RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 09-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #10
the sodfather

This is definitely on my must have list now! Thanks for the thorough review!
the sodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #11
slow

The app update is now available.

I set mine to one hour.

RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 09-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #12
CaptnJohn

LCI now has a system for TTs similar to that on 5ers. I get out of the truck, unhitch, then push a button. The auto-level will have it correct side/side and front/back before I get the water hose out and connected.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:20 AM   #13
JimHam

I purchased the unit after reading this thread and it worked very well for me on my last trip. Mine came pre-set to go to sleep mode after 1 hour.
JimHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #14
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
So good to read the thread on this, been contemplating on purchasing this unit myself. It seems as time goes by the unit/software has gotten better. I wonder how "SLOW" is liking the system now especially the battery life.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #15
slow

LevelMatePro Review

All should be good now that i am able to adjust the go to sleep mode to 1 hour.

It will be a few weeks before our first camping trip for the season.

RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 04-17-2017, 05:01 AM   #16
xrated

I bought and installed the LevelMate Pro a few months ago, got it setup for level using a 4' carpenter's level and saved the setting. This past weekend, I used it for the first time. We actually setup on Friday afternoon, then moved to another location on Saturday evening. Friday's setup location provided a side to side that really didn't require leveling. Of course, front to back was needed because of unhooking from the T.V. The L.M. Pro told me exactly how much was needed for the front to back adjustment and it worked flawlessly. Saturday's setup required a side to side leveling, and once I put the trailer where I wanted it, I broke out the Anderson leveling wedges and proceded to back up (onto the levelers), all the while watching the app update and show level. Chock the Andersons, then the other two wheels and unhook the truck and level the front to back. It was my first actual experience setting up the trailer at a site and to be honest, it couldn't have gone any smoother using the L.M. Pro. I showed it to a few folks around me while setting up and it seems that there are a lot of folks that have not even heard of it, much less knowing that something like that even exists. I would definitely give L.M. Pro a HUGE for convenience and ease of use.....this one is a Winner for sure.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #17
Jeepshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I bought and installed the LevelMate Pro a few months ago, got it setup for level using a 4' carpenter's level and saved the setting. This past weekend, I used it for the first time. We actually setup on Friday afternoon, then moved to another location on Saturday evening. Friday's setup location provided a side to side that really didn't require leveling. Of course, front to back was needed because of unhooking from the T.V. The L.M. Pro told me exactly how much was needed for the front to back adjustment and it worked flawlessly. Saturday's setup required a side to side leveling, and once I put the trailer where I wanted it, I broke out the Anderson leveling wedges and proceded to back up (onto the levelers), all the while watching the app update and show level. Chock the Andersons, then the other two wheels and unhook the truck and level the front to back. It was my first actual experience setting up the trailer at a site and to be honest, it couldn't have gone any smoother using the L.M. Pro. I showed it to a few folks around me while setting up and it seems that there are a lot of folks that have not even heard of it, much less knowing that something like that even exists. I would definitely give L.M. Pro a HUGE for convenience and ease of use.....this one is a Winner for sure.
That's the setup that i'm trying to sell my wife on - LevelMatePro and Anderson wedge combo. Just takes money, eh?
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #18
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepshots View Post
That's the setup that i'm trying to sell my wife on - LevelMatePro and Anderson wedge combo. Just takes money, eh?
Well, sometimes it's just better to ask for forgiveness than to get permission!

Seriously though, I simply cannot see any good reason to be using a level and leveling blocks and having to get in/get out...get in/get out, etc of the tow vehicle when you have this kind of technology available. To me, getting set up and then getting on to the fun at hand is what it's all about. I don't use a push mower anymore either!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #19
ImTravis

LevelMatePro Review

My wife loves the Anderson leveler and LMP combo. She doesn't have to try and use a level and I don't have to listen to her frustrations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #20
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTravis View Post
My wife loves the Anderson leveler she and LMP combo. She doesn't have to try and use a level and I don't have to listen to her frustrations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KKYBURLI11&freq=&units= english&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KKYBURLI11&freq=&units= english&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

This says it all!

RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing